• ...and so much more!
  • Jabberwocky

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Muncie
    I prefer concealed. and in a fashion that allows a resonably quick and safe draw. This guy obviously has a different objective.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    When I was stationed in Louisiana I had to complete a training course to obtain a carry license.
    I think all states should have a training requirement it was only like 8 hours but it covered the basics.
    Get this if you did not qualify you didn't pass about 4 out of about 15 didn't make the cut!

I think I am going to OC carry my 4in nickel M19 in an ankle holster !

Funny, I don't remember it saying "The right to bear arms as long as you complete the required training" or " Once training is complete you have the right to bear arms"

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I wouldn't call this a "worse carry" but it's common and kinda stupid since Indiana law doesn't apply no gun signs to private businesses.

My family runs a restaurant and I assume a security guard walks in to get her food and every time I see her, her holster is empty. It kinda bothered me until one day I half joked about her losing her gun and she said it's in her car. All I could wonder is...what's the point then?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When I was stationed in Louisiana I had to complete a training course to obtain a carry license.
    I think all states should have a training requirement it was only like 8 hours but it covered the basics.
    Get this if you did not qualify you didn't pass about 4 out of about 15 didn't make the cut!

I think I am going to OC carry my 4in nickel M19 in an ankle holster !

Technically, a training shouldn't be a requirement. However, I certainly see the benefits and believe it would make gun owners, overall, more safe. I think if some incentive could be offered, without making training a requirement, I'd be all on board. Perhaps the state could give tax breaks to gun shops that complete a training class for every firearm sold? That way in in the shops interest to offer reasonably priced (if not free) classes to people and still protect their bottom line. People really can't complain because they have the option to shop/buy wherever they want.... but I can hear the cries of anti-gun people complaining about the govt teaching people to kill.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So a hunter education course is OK but a training course to carry a concealed weapon is not?
    I get the whole right to bear arms thing but you have some real "winners" carrying.
    How many of us feel comfortable with completely untrained person carrying a firearm?
    Then we see incidents of AD/ND and say "they didn't adhere to the four rules" because they didn't know them!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So a hunter education course is OK but a training course to carry a concealed weapon is not?
    I get the whole right to bear arms thing but you have some real "winners" carrying.
    How many of us feel comfortable with completely untrained person carrying a firearm?
    Then we see incidents of AD/ND and say "they didn't adhere to the four rules" because they didn't know them!

You'll find that your belief is in the minority here. I'd say 90%+ of the membership here disagrees with training as requirement to carry a firearms.... and also disagree with hunter education requirements as well.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If it works for him, who should criticize it? If he can only afford to carry what he has in that foto, why would that elicit "elitist" comments from 2A defenders?

Hypocritical.

I've seen the calvary twist used in competition by very good shooters. It was effective for them. I doubt that I would ever use it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I thought you were a lawyer?

"If it works for him," is a conditional hyposthesis.

One currently supported by no facts. I was actually thinking that he moved the holster from the left to the right because it was hitting the person or chair next to him...I find that as much more likely than "work for him", as that would imply that a more orthodox carry method does not "work for him" better.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If it works for him, who should criticize it? If he can only afford to carry what he has in that foto, why would that elicit "elitist" comments from 2A defenders?

Hypocritical.

I've seen the calvary twist used in competition by very good shooters. It was effective for them. I doubt that I would ever use it.

I'd be real careful throwing the "hypocritical" term around. I'm sure I could dig up some posts you've made criticizing others without all the facts. I mean, I'm sure you'd never decide what an LEO should or should not do based solely on a media account, make broad sweeping statements about Christians, or criticize the appearance of a woman online. Right?

So, did any of those very good shooters use a reverse cant tight to the body that far back on the strong side? Or did they actually use a holster designed for such? Was it a competition with single action revolvers were you pretend to be a cowboy and dress the same? IE, a drop holster with a straight or slightly muzzle forward cant and plenty of room to get your knuckles in behind the gun? Was there a retention strap?

Best he can afford? A right handed holster Uncle Mike's sausage sack costs more than a left handed?

It's not elitest to point out this is a terrible way to carry a gun for self defense.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    One currently supported by no facts. I was actually thinking that he moved the holster from the left to the right because it was hitting the person or chair next to him...I find that as much more likely than "work for him", as that would imply that a more orthodox carry method does not "work for him" better.

No one sitting next to him, counselor. And those chairs are more easily moved than a holster rig.

bed-stretch.gif

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I'd be real careful throwing the "hypocritical" term around. I'm sure I could dig up some posts you've made criticizing others without all the facts. I mean, I'm sure you'd never decide what an LEO should or should not do based solely on a media account, make broad sweeping statements about Christians, or criticize the appearance of a woman online. Right?

So, did any of those very good shooters use a reverse cant tight to the body that far back on the strong side? Or did they actually use a holster designed for such? Was it a competition with single action revolvers were you pretend to be a cowboy and dress the same? IE, a drop holster with a straight or slightly muzzle forward cant and plenty of room to get your knuckles in behind the gun? Was there a retention strap?

Best he can afford? A right handed holster Uncle Mike's sausage sack costs more than a left handed?

It's not elitest to point out this is a terrible way to carry a gun for self defense.

Perhaps he's carrying it for the left-handed female across from him. She could draw fairly quickly!

Come on. Just because you don't do it doesn't mean it is wrong or inappropriate. First of all, he is carrying, which is a lot better than not carrying. We don't know if he practiced his draw or not. A calvary twist is not a hard thing to do or learn. Like anything else, practice is essential.

And no special holster is needed for the calvary twist.

As to your list of resentments, add another if you wish. We all know better than to criticize the performance of ANY LEO.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

I think training is a fantastic idea. I took an NRA basic handgun class BEFORE I bought a gun. I don't agree with it being mandatory though. All it would take for a defacto ban is for some regulatory body to say "ok only state approved trainers. We're only approving one person and the course fee is $1200, classes are held once a year and accommodate up to 10 people.

Top Bottom