• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    This is a WoodPro WS-TS-2000 we bought at Mendards. It has done a great job heating our 16'x32' cabin. I decided to look at their recommendation based on square footage that I would be heating and went with the next model up. They have a 1500 model too.

View attachment 238797
    I visited the Menard's website today and actually found a stove I may go look at...
    Thanks for suggesting them!

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I visited the Menard's website today and actually found a stove I may go look at...
    Thanks for suggesting them!

Menard's really has a wider selection of the things you might want for tending your stove also (canvas bags for carrying in wood to burn, pokers or shovels/brushes, etc...). @indyjohn was kind to leave out the part about his wife being a bit of a worrier about temp and getting it too hot. He added a magnetic wood stove thermometer (link here) to help me know when we are good to go or if we are running it hotter than needed (in his pic it's that spec of yellow you can see on the pipe).

We also found a heat driven fan (link here)that we put on the top of the stove and it helps push the heat around better. In the mornings we put a kettle of water on top of the stove and IndyJohn grinds the beans and uses a French press to make the best coffee around.

+1 For your insulation plan! We used something similar, Menards has spray foam insulation for 'do it yourselfers'. We didn't put a heavy coating on the inside of the cabin, just enough to really give it a good seal. With it buried in the middle of our woods there are critters in every nook and cranny and that step was a HUGE game changer. We added rolled insulation to that and it's been a good solution for us.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    This is a WoodPro WS-TS-2000 we bought at Mendards. It has done a great job heating our 16'x32' cabin. I decided to look at their recommendation based on square footage that I would be heating and went with the next model up. They have a 1500 model too.

View attachment 238797

I checked out the Menards web site and didn't see any of the WoodPros listed in there offerings. I seen one however that might work for a smaller area which I might consider for a projet.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If I were looking for a stove you could get a great deal if you could find one of these out there. My dad bought one new in the 70’s and they were great burning stoves, We had a papa bear model and was that a heavy stove. Took 2-3 strong guys to move it.

Wow! Just popped on eBay and asking is over $2000 for the papa bear. There was a grandma bear (double door fireplace like design) for $750. I recall dad paid about $400 back in the day, so a rusted old stove is asking way more than what it cost new. LOL

Last edited:

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    If I were looking for a stove you could get a great deal if you could find one of these out there. My dad bought one new in the 70’s and they were great burning stoves, We had a papa bear model and was that a heavy stove. Took 2-3 strong guys to move it.

Wow! Just popped on eBay and asking is over $2000 for the papa bear. There was a grandma bear (double door fireplace like design) for $750. I recall dad paid about $400 back in the day, so a rusted old stove is asking way more than what it cost new. LOL
    I have a papa bear fisher stove in my hunting cabin. It’s a great stove, kept me warm many of nights.

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    Electric radiant heat floor may be worth looking into also.
    I grew up in a home with Water radiant heat that ran through the floor. Its Light years better than electric radiant heat in my opinion. I assume its way more expensive to put in, but if your building on a lot it could be worth it for sure.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I grew up in a home with Water radiant heat that ran through the floor. Its Light years better than electric radiant heat in my opinion. I assume its way more expensive to put in, but if your building on a lot it could be worth it for sure.
    I wonder why they haven’t put radiant heat in basement walls or maybe they do and I never heard of it or maybe it will make it structurally unsound

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Doesn't surprise me. People are going to be breaking into hunting cabins and carrying off stoves soon.

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    I wonder why they haven’t put radiant heat in basement walls or maybe they do and I never heard of it or maybe it will make it structurally unsound
    We had it in basement floor and in the main floor as well. I think its because the pipes have to live inside poured concrete, and it way more expensive to have poured concrete walls for a foundation than it is to use precast or cinderblocks your pour concrete into. Ive been in hundreds of homes for work, and water based radiant is extremely rare, and has always been in the floor, usually on a ranch. Rarely if a home was built in the cold war, the main floor will be supported by I beams of steel or concrete and the floor has radiant heat as well. Some folks made their homes like bunkers for a very brief period.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A cold windy night and I'm sitting downstairs with the wood burner enjoying some red wine and walnuts, the entire house is a warm 70. Furnace has not run at all.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a very nice Cawley wood stove.
    It has 4 doors, two on the front, and one on each side.
    You could open both side doors and throw a log through the stove and out the other side.
    It will take logs up to 24" long and has a 6" exhaust.
    Unfortunately I can't use it right now and it's in storage.
    Cawley wood stoves were Buck stoves largest competitor in the 1980's so Buck stoves bought them out.
    If you can find a used on, jump on it.
    Designed more or less like the Franklin stove.

Top Bottom