• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I couldn't agree more. When we got home from the range my daughter posted pictures of herself with the Henry on all her social media platforms and texted all her friends about the experience. Hopefully some of them will become interested. I have a friend with his own You Tube channel who donates to a lot of charities. I don't know if you know of him, his channel is The Yankee Marshal. This year he has collected over 12,000.00 all to be spent on Toy Guns for Tots. Getting the younger kids interested is the key.
    Gonna be one crazy shopping day for him!
    I just looked up The Yankee Marshal. Bookmarked him and will return when I have more time. Good to hear about your daughter's acknowledgment and proactive pursuit of her rights as an American.

It's a long holiday weekend. If any of your families have had enough football and are looking for some Americana inspiration, all four episodes of "Lonesome Dove" are free on YouTube at THIS LINK.

Last edited:

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Took Mrs. Wildcatfan pistol shooting yesterday. The first time she’s ever held a pistol was on Saturday evening when we went through safety and how the pistols worked. We used snap caps in the 9’s and in the revolver she was going to shoot for her to get a feel of the weight, trigger pulls and grip/aiming.

She shot a .22 1911, a Glock 34, a 1911 STI in 9mm, a Ruger LC9S, and a Ruger .327 using 32 Mag. rounds. All shots were taken at 21’.

She liked the LC9S and the 1911 the best. She took her time and really did great. Most hits were center mass. She didn’t have any flyers.

She loved it and I may have lost the LC9…. I posted a picture of her target. We started with one round at a time and by the time we finished she was loading the mag and shooting 3 round groups. We taped her target each time so she could see her hits. So proud of her for stepping out of her comfort zone.

We’re planning a return trip.

She comes from a family that is very much non-firearm.

Attachments

• 96EAD578-CB5C-4F1A-9D2A-8D336D0F1F60.jpeg
      96EAD578-CB5C-4F1A-9D2A-8D336D0F1F60.jpeg
      447 KB · Views: 5
    • C7D82CA3-C9FC-45C8-9A5E-8B6CC90A01DC.jpeg
      C7D82CA3-C9FC-45C8-9A5E-8B6CC90A01DC.jpeg
      711.4 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I couldn't agree more. When we got home from the range my daughter posted pictures of herself with the Henry on all her social media platforms and texted all her friends about the experience. Hopefully some of them will become interested. I have a friend with his own You Tube channel who donates to a lot of charities. I don't know if you know of him, his channel is The Yankee Marshal. This year he has collected over 12,000.00 all to be spent on Toy Guns for Tots. Getting the younger kids interested is the key.
    Gonna be one crazy shopping day for him!

No offense, just a word to the wise. A lot of gun owners are NOT fans of The Yankee Marshal. Not telling anyone what to do, but might be worth some research?

We all have our favorites, but as in anything Internet related, always compare the competition to make sure you aren't falling in love with the wrong person.

:twocents:

Robert L

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    Huntington
    I've taught a number of females (kids to mature women) to shoot handgun and rifle. In terms of basic accuracy, they tend to be better shots initially than their male counterparts.

Has that been YOUR experience?
    I'm asking men and women.

Many women have an aversion to firearms...at first. But in my experience, once they(you) understand the basics and the safety aspects, they(you) take to it naturally and do well.

The support and involvement of WOMEN shooters is so important to the future of our Second Amendment. Fellas, do what you can to gently encourage the women in your lives to get involved for sport and/or personal defense. And to our sisters in arms, we're counting on you to encourage your friends, siblings, parents and kids to be proactive in their own defense and in the defense of Liberty.

UGOGURL! :D

Long Live The Republic
    Took my wife outback on the farm to teach her gun safety and how to shoot. After the required "a pistol is a tool" speech and how you never point the handgun at something you aren't willing to pull the trigger on, we loaded up and fired off about 8 rounds of .40 cal. She put 6 of 8 rounds in a three inch circle at 50 feet. That was the last time we were shooting together.

mousegun87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mead
    I've taught a number of females (kids to mature women) to shoot handgun and rifle. In terms of basic accuracy, they tend to be better shots initially than their male counterparts.

Many women have an aversion to firearms...at first. But in my experience, once they(you) understand the basics and the safety aspects, they(you) take to it naturally and do well.

The support and involvement of WOMEN shooters is so important to the future of our Second Amendment. Fellas, do what you can to gently encourage the women in your lives to get involved for sport and/or personal defense. And to our sisters in arms, we're counting on you to encourage your friends, siblings, parents and kids to be proactive in their own defense and in the defense of Liberty.

Long Live The Republic
    This has been my observation as well. I took the NRA instructor certification so I could train my wife and 2 girls properly. Then I helped training ROTC cadets at the local university. The girls are more patient. They listen better and have no bad habbit to unlearn from playing with toy guns.

hhi7410

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Noblesville ,In
    When my kids young I used work with kids in 4H club in Mo 4h had
    Shot gun.22lr and archery for kids.my daughter always love shooting and she can out shoot boys now she still out shoot me
    With rifle and pistol

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Not initially, but women seem to be easier to teach IF they can get over the fear of guns.

Women seem to listen to instructions better as men often let their pride get in the way and or already have bad habits that are hard to over come.

In the end if they have been good students and put the time it's about equal, neither sex being better or worse
    This has been my experience

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    One issue I have seen with women, they listen to the boyfriend/ husband who doesn't really know how to shoot (just use Kentucky windage type things instead of correcting grip, trigger squeeze etc)

Hohenheim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2023
    Warsaw, Indiana
    My wife was an excellent shot from the beginning. I think her patience and respect of the weapon were played big parts to her accuracy. I know when I started shooting I just tried to throw hot lead down range as fast as I could and often missed the mark completely. If you look at the contributing factors to accuracy, they are usually skills that women are inherently good at.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Coached and shot on a rifle/pistol team in the Marines. This was at a university for officer candidates. I found the woman far easier to teach effective shooting to. I believe it is due to the fact men have to "control" tools they use. We have the tendency to make the weapon fire accurately. Women in general are more relaxed with operating the firearm after they get over the initial fear involved.

Have to say the closest I ever got to being shot unintentionally was during this time by a girl sweeping me with a loaded/finger on the target trigger gun.

Don

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Long Live The Republic
    Always been that way. After 50 years of doing this, I have my women students (and children) handling more safely and shooting more accurately than the same student as a man and in less time.

SaraiEsq

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I've heard this statement about women being more accurate shooters than men more than once. I don't doubt it.

I would be curious to see a study where accuracy in similarly situated shooters was evaluated blindly (i.e., the evaluator doesn't know whether a man or a woman shot said target). Why? Sometimes I wonder if folks expect less of women (and more of men) and "score" accordingly. If I expect a four inch group from a man and it is 4.5 inches, I am disappointed because he didn't meet the expectation. If I expect a five inch group from a woman and it is 4.5 inches, I am thrilled because she exceeded the expectation. But the group size for both is the same. How much is perception, how much reality, eh?

Maybe I am overthinking this.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    Most of the people I teach anymore are women. They are excellent shots as soon as I get them past flinching. Starting with a laser trainer like SRT pistol helps a lot. Moving to a 22 LR next and then whatever they want to shoot.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Our instructor joked that it's easier on average to teach women to shoot than men, because men tend to come into it "thinking they already know everything about sex, riding horses, and shooting guns! LOL".
    Pretty much...I tend to use a .22lr to start, especially with women, until they achieve a level of success (.22lr tends to be accurate and has minimal felt recoil, so they can be successful accuracy-wise as well as overcome their fear of felt-recoil) and enjoy shooting.
    Women will generally bump-up in caliber (and felt-recoil) as they achieve success...but they have to develop or grow into it!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Understanding there are always exceptions:

1) Women tend to not let ego get in the way of learning.
    2) Women tend to listen and not just hear.
    3) Women almost always have better vision when it comes to color, seeing contrast, etc.*
    4) Women are honest about being afraid of recoil, etc and let you address the issue sooner. They do not have the cultural expectation of already being good at it, can't admit fear, etc.

Men have the advantage in terms of hand/grip strength, as well as weight behind the gun for recoil management. Bigger hands tend to be better for a wider variety of guns. Men tend to shy from muzzle blast less. Cultural or vision related, I don't know.

* Seriously. There are real biological differences between the sexes for eyesight and visual processing in the brain. Look at the percentage of men who are colorblind vs women and you'll see we are 16x more likely to have color deficiencies in our vision. They really do see eleventy-billion shades of green in the paint section where you couldn't tell the difference with a gun to your head. Men, however, see and recognize movement faster. Our reaction times to sudden movement is roughly 50% better on average then that of women. In shooting terms, women can see the front sight and the target slightly better but men will start processing reactive targets slightly quicker. Not huge differences on average, but measurable.
    This is well said in terms of both physical and psychological differences!
    Men and women are built differently when it comes to 'how' they approach or do things!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Pretty much...I tend to use a .22lr to start, especially with women, until they achieve a level of success (.22lr tends to be accurate and has minimal felt recoil, so they can be successful accuracy-wise as well as overcome their fear of felt-recoil) and enjoy shooting.
    Women will generally bump-up in caliber (and felt-recoil) as they achieve success...but they have to develop or grow into it!
    This approach to learning works just as well for men as for women.

When I took the S351 "Leadership Development in Shooting Sports" at IU Bloomington in the mid 70's, our class was all guys and we started out with .22lr too for several weeks before we moved up to more powerful calibers at the outdoor Sycamore Valley range to the east.

Our class was in the basement of the Union Building in a 50 foot indoor range.

We began with rifles using a "buddy dry/live fire system".
    The non shooting one loaded either a live round or empty chamber and gave it to the other guy to fire.

The guy firing the firearm didn't know if it was a live round or empty chamber.
    It was a quick way to find any flinching problem or other movement of the firearm as the trigger was squeezed.

We went on to learning the basics with shooting jackets, gloves, sling techniques in standing, kneeling, and prone positions.

After the rifle portion, we moved on to .22lr pistols using the same "buddy dry/live fire system" along with the fundamentals of safely handling handguns.

We also did some reloading shotgun and metallic cartridges.

When we finally did make it to the outdoor range to shoot high power rifles and handguns, we were shooting them well because we'd learned the fundamentals and worked out any flinching issues we had.
    We also did some skeet and trap shooting.

When I finished the course, I could rapid fire 6 shots double action into a less than 5 inch circle from 21 feet with a 4" barrel .357 Magnum revolver.
    It was a great and fun course, and our Instructor, Joe Wayne was a good guy and a great teacher.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    When we finally did make it to the outdoor range to shoot high power rifles and handguns, we were shooting them well because we'd learned the fundamentals and worked out any flinching issues we had.
    We also did some skeet and trap shooting.

When I finished the course, I could rapid fire double action in a less than 5 inch circle from 21 feet with a 4" barrel .357 Magnum revolver.
    It was a great and fun course, and our Instructor, Joe Wayne was a good guy and a great teacher.
    Starting with lighter calibers do help develop 'recoil-control' as one can adapt up the chain as they grow in their experience.
    I grew up on revolvers and actually prefer shooting D-A, even if just the 'challenge' shooting, with the exception of target shooting or hunting.
    When using a revolver for home or personal defense, I actually prefer and practice in D-A mode.

Top Bottom