Ripley County

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I recommend taking her to a range that has plenty of rental guns and letting her test a few out to see what works best for her. Range USA has a location in Carmel and there's Tim's in Westfield. I believe both have a good selection of guns to rent. One thing a lot of women don't think about is, unless you off body carry, such as in a purse, you have to dress around the gun. This is the same for men as well. Either don't worry about the fact that the gun is showing (OC or sloppy CC), or dress in a manner that the gun is hidden, if that's your desire. My ex-wife carried OC or in her purse because the style of clothes she liked were very tight. Almost no way possible to carry in a manner where it wasn't obvious, so she just chose to OC.

My wife does not carry but my buddy got his wife a S&W shield ez in 380 that she likes

They also have that in 9mm. My manager, a female, has the 380 version and I've heard the 9mm version has as good or better recoil and both have very easy to rack slides.

380acp is pretty snappy in a small pistol.
    Don't forget about the old 38 special with 148gr wadcutter loads. Very light recoil and good penetration.

This is another great option.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    The problem is within the question. It’s like, “Can I get a pet without having to care for it?” Or, “Is there a carpet that doesn’t require cleaning?”

EDC is HUGE responsibility. Starting out is rarely comfortable to many. It takes training, practice, money for more practice and a paradigm shift for comfort zones. I equate it to having a baby. Successfully raising the child into a first class citizen takes a lot of work. We see how that works out for many.

If the obstacle of comfort is not overcome in the commitment, then there may be no perfect gun. I suggest she revisit the end game and if the motivation is strong enough to pursue the skill set of carrying a gun, then visit a range and try several different guns and commit to that said piece.

For ANYONE to suggest what she should get is like having someone taste your food for you. A good firearms training program can help her find the answer you’re looking for.

The list is endless of good guns available today. It is more important to find something that she can work with over something that she thinks will work for her.

I train students most every week that have this question. Most of 90 percent of the students end up going to a different gun than what they enrolled with when they reach a better skill set.

Right now the trend for my students over the last year have been the Sig P365, the Ruger Max9 and of course S&W JFrames for those who are committed to carrying.

Hope this helps

See you on the range

Trapper

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife carries a Taurus PT 738 TCP in stainless and pink. It is light weight, easy to operate and the trigger pull is good. She keeps it loaded with Underwood 68 gr. Xtreme Defender ammo.
    MnQTGHe.jpg

CkguKhx.jpg
    Me thinks you should continue to be nice to the wife...that's some pretty darn good shootin' though!
    Congrats to the wife for a good steady hand and a nice grouping!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife wants to carry a gun, but she runs into the problem of either the pistol is too big to conceal, or it’s so small the recoil hurts her hand. Does anyone’s wife have one she really likes?
    My wife's preferred range pistol is a Beretta 92FS...which she likes because she has a narrow hand with long fingers and can get her fingers clear around the grip and it's comfortable for her. But it doesn't make for a good (easy) EDC pistol. And she's not a 'purse' type of woman, so carrying it concealed has its limitations for her. Finding a good 'pocket' pistol has been elusive for her because so many of them have such a smaller sized grip.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Didn’t Walther come out with a pistol tuned to a women’s need recently? IIRC, they had a version of the PDP that had a grip, trigger reach and slide/recoil spring weight tuned with an eye towards the average size of a woman to make carry/training more comfortable.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Didn’t Walther come out with a pistol tuned to a women’s need recently? IIRC, they had a version of the PDP that had a grip, trigger reach and slide/recoil spring weight tuned with an eye towards the average size of a woman to make carry/training more comfortable.
    Yes they have one coming out I'm not sure if it is yet. PDP F I think it's called.

Edit:
    “The F-Series is the solution women shooters have asked for, for years. Walther engineered a handgun based on our hands, with our feedback, to create a function and fit unmatched in the marketplace. Pair a woman with a firearm engineered for her and she is formidable at first shot.” – Tatiana Whitlock

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    380acp is pretty snappy in a small pistol.
    Don't forget about the old 38 special with 148gr wadcutter loads. Very light recoil and good penetration.

Love a 5-shot snubbie stoked with 158 grain JHP standard-pressure .38's...so many people simply don't understand how smoothly those shoot and how well they perform in a defensive situation.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Love a 5-shot snubbie stoked with 158 grain JHP standard-pressure .38's...so many people simply don't understand how smoothly those shoot and how well they perform in a defensive situation.
    A lot of people use them light weight bullets and I think they will have problems with real world penetration.
    Someone posted a story where a lady shot a home invader five times in the face with a 38 special and he ran off. He ended up in the hospital, and lived.
    I wonder if it was something like them 110gr or less high velocity wonder loads and not the old slow heavy bullets that don't expand but have a lot of penetration?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    A lot of people use them light weight bullets and I think they will have problems with real world penetration.
    Someone posted a story where a lady shot a home invader five times in the face with a 38 special and he ran off. He ended up in the hospital, and lived.
    I wonder if it was something like them 110gr or less high velocity wonder loads and not the old slow heavy bullets that don't expand but have a lot of penetration?
    Kinda my thoughts too... My experience is that heavier bullets (above 150 grain) tend to create their own kinetic energy or 'momentum' that helps to push through barriers better...and faster doesn't always overcome lighter, especially when it comes to barrier penetration, in my experience!
    Too many people believe in gelatin tests, when there are soooo many other factors involved...
    I think a lot of people are deceived when it comes to testing videos vs real world experience!
    No matter how one slices it, 9mm is still just average or 'nominal' caliber when it comes to the realm of home and personal defense. I've actually had people tell me that 9mm is just as good (aka 'effective') as .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and .357 Magnum when it comes to home and personal defense! Crazy...I know!
    The question I've been asking (nowadays) is if 9mm is just as good as .40 S&W, why did Glock beef-up (or put a heavier) slide on the Gen 5 Glock 22 and Glock 23's, but not on the Gen 5 Glock 17, 19, 26, 34, and 35 pistols?

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Having a wife that carries daily here are my two cents:
    Cent 1: Don't try to pick out a gun for her. She has to decide on her own.
    Cent 2: Suggest she consider Well Armed Women or a similar group/discussion forum. She'll get good pointers for women from women on how to carry larger firearm comfortably.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My wife is extremely recoil sensitive, and because of this we searched for a handgun with light recoil as a primary feature. She did not really care for the M&P EZ, and finally chose the Walther CCP M2 380 as the gun that fits her the best. It is small, light, ergonomic and has a recoil impulse that feels like it's designed for kids.

The CCP M2 in both 9mm and 380 have soft recoil characteristics due to their soft-coil gas piston system that delays the slide's cycling until the chamber pressure drops to an acceptable level. This has the effect of noticeably dropping the the felt recoil in the hand.

As for a testimonial, I can only say that my wife will not shoot any of my other handguns, because she is only comfortable shooting her little Walther.

CCP.jpg

Top Bottom