• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I did a total redo on my Winchester Model 12 that was made in 1914, the first year of production for the 12ga. I have had it for a few years now but never got around to 'get it done'. It only took part of a day for the metal, the furniture will take longer but I put it on for pics.

DSC05822.JPG

Now the FYI part. For the first year of production only, the top of the receiver did NOT have the 'normal' grove sight as seen in the pic. The receiver on the left is my special order 28 inch cyl bore barrel and the one on the right is the 1914.

DSC05823.JPG

Sorry about the quality, the battery on the camera is almost dead. I hope you can see that it is not straight line grooves nor recessed buy wavy and raised.

Think about it, the one thing we know for sure is that this Model 12 was not delivered to the original store as sales inventory by truck...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It was the first article I bought off Gun Broker years ago.

To know what it looked like I bought it with two sets of furniture, a brand new unmarked Boyd set and the originals that I have on it now, and with shipping and all I have less than $325 invested. I was the only bidder.

I did not sand or buff the metal in any way, just cleaned it with my fav gun cleaner, wiped it in alcohol and applied the blue.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have one in 20ga...It's chambered in 2.5....Keep debating whether or not to expand it to 2.75 so that it would be more useable.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have one in 20ga...It's chambered in 2.5....Keep debating whether or not to expand it to 2.75 so that it would be more useable.

I would absolutely rechamber it. These Winchester's are work horses and deserve to be used. IIRC 2.75 inches became the standard chambering in 1927 but other chamberings were available as special order.

Others don't realize that Winchester made 3in shells back in the 1930's, everyone thinks it is a more 'modern' chambering.

I can't even tell you how many model 12's I own but I will shoot them all...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Grandpa’s 1927 model twelve 16 gauge was from grandma. Dad used it in the 1950’s to duck hunt and the firing pin broke the first time he used it. He had it replaced. So 20 some years. Dad inherited it and I used it to duck hunt in the 1980’s and the firing pin broke on the first time I used it. . I had it fixed. I also watched him fix it and ordered another.. so it seems a firing pin is needed about every 30 years. Maybe 50-60 years now as 16 gauge is not as common and it only really goes bunny hunting a bit now. It is a great duck gun because your hand can wrap around the gun anywhere.
    I think it is nickel steel

grandma bought grandpa the model 12 in 1927.
    My mom bought my dad a browning auto 5 light 12 in 1964.
    still waiting for my wife to continue the tradition but I don’t think that is happening since we have been married since 1999 and together since 1995.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I do have another Model 12 on it's way. I picked up yet another in skeet configuration with the Simmons vent rib that unfortunately has a Cutts on it. It needs a total redo but I will probably make it my universal 'do everything' on the farm gun. That also includes 'make your ears bleed' as just one of it's accomplishments.

This will probably be my last venture on Gun Broker tho, too many add ons anymore, that and everyone seems to want two prices for everything...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Grandpa’s 1927 model twelve 16 gauge was from grandma. Dad used it in the 1950’s to duck hunt and the firing pin broke the first time he used it. He had it replaced. So 20 some years. Dad inherited it and I used it to duck hunt in the 1980’s and the firing pin broke on the first time I used it. . I had it fixed. I also watched him fix it and ordered another.. so it seems a firing pin is needed about every 30 years. Maybe 50-60 years now as 16 gauge is not as common and it only really goes bunny hunting a bit now. It is a great duck gun because your hand can wrap around the gun anywhere.
    I think it is nickel steel

grandma bought grandpa the model 12 in 1927.
    My mom bought my dad a browning auto 5 light 12 in 1964.
    still waiting for my wife to continue the tradition but I don’t think that is happening since we have been married since 1999 and together since 1995.

It must be the duck hunting. I have never had one break on me shooting cards and hunting but a couple years back I bought a very lightly used Heavy Duck that was a beautiful gun but I found the pin broke in it when I took it apart for a good cleaning.

A good friend had just given me a medicine bottle full of new firing pins a couple of weeks earlier, he said he always kept some around for shooting clays and trap but didn't need them anymore. It appears holding the barrel up and having the pin travel all the way to the rear before it is hit by the hammer is too much for the design over time.

Your wife probably doesn't trust herself to pick you out the right gun. Maybe you should volunteer to go with here to help pick it out...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Very nice gun!! keep shooting it, and pass it on...more pictures please!

I have the battery charging. It would take quite a while to go through all my Winnies though. It is a welcomed sickness.

Probably 18-20 Model 12's, a few 25's, I think I still have 4 Model 24's, half dozen 97's and even 4 or 5 of the 1911SL Widow Makers.

I have yet to redo one of the 1911SL's as of yet, that my be one of my next projects. When they came out it was Winchester's most expensive assembly line offering. I am sure Mr Johnson hated it long before it ever got to production...

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have the battery charging. It would take quite a while to go through all my Winnies though. It is a welcomed sickness.

Probably 18-20 Model 12's, a few 25's, I think I still have 4 Model 24's, half dozen 97's and even 4 or 5 of the 1911SL Widow Makers.

I have yet to redo one of the 1911SL's as of yet, that my be one of my next projects. When they came out it was Winchester's most expensive assembly line offering. I am sure Mr Johnson hated it long before it ever got to production...
    Dang, that's a lot of Winchesters.....save some for the rest of us......

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Over the years I have sold about half as many as I have kept.

If you know Triple G in Greenville, he has one of my Model 24's in 12ga for sale. Real nice gun but it has a butt pad. The pad was professionally installed but I just purged it rather than bring it back to (pun intended) 'stock'...

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Over the years I have sold about half as many as I have kept.

If you know Triple G in Greenville, he has one of my Model 24's in 12ga for sale. Real nice gun but it has a butt pad. The pad was professionally installed but I just purged it rather than bring it back to (pun intended) 'stock'...
    Dang I rode past there yesterday, what are they asking for the Model 24? any idea?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am not sure but Darrell isn't hard on his pricing. It is a fine gun.

FYI, he is getting in a lot of 119 used firearms this weekend so it would be a good idea to be there early on Wednesday when he reopens. Deals to be had and he tends to be looser with the stock when his shelves are full.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom