• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    For those who have not heard the story about how semi-auto shotguns came into the market, this is a kicker.

In 1898 John Moses Browning came up with the design now known as the Auto5. He knew he had something special when he held it in his hands. Now, the Browning Brothers had an agreement with Winchester Repeating Arms to where Winchester would purchase two designs from the Browning's each year. They would normally bring a working prototype to Winchester, their gun designer (TC Johnson) would go over it and take out as many patents as they could to prevent infringement once the gun came into production.

Later, when they are about to tool up they would get together in a room and hash out the compensation. (The 1885 drop block was the first joint venture between Winchester and Browning.) This time the compensation requested would be different. Browning did not want to give up his rights to the gun and wanted to be paid royalties on each unit produced. Well, Oliver's son wasn't going to have any of this so they came to an impasse. History seldom mentions the third Browning brother, the youngest, but it is said he could really get under Winchester's skin. In the end John said I have to offer them two designs a year but it wouldn't include this one so give me my gun back.

Winchester at the time had many high level lawmakers in their pocket and they felt they could keep him from producing his design and eventually he would have to come crawling back to them on his knees with a much more profitable (to them) offer. Instead he went over seas to FN and they got started on production. Winchester *suggested* that import tariffs be raised as to make it unprofitable to import foreign made firearms. So John went to Remington and said, "How would you boys like to make an auto loading shotgun?" And thus we have the Remington Model 11. Remington got all the American sales and FN got the foreign sales.

Meanwhile Winchester is making boom boom in his knickers. He goes to their best designer, TC Johnson, and tells him to make their own semi auto shotgun and make sure he doesn't violate ANY of the patents that he himself had applied for to prevent such an occurrence. It took him 10 long years, but he did it. The 1911 sl (for Self Loading). One of the patents he was not to infringe on is the bolt handle. Browning's design was the first to make need of any such device and TC had made sure no one else could use one. So to do an end run around that he knurled a portion of the barrel to provide grip to compress the barrel into the receiver to to load the chamber. What could possibly go wrong?

Gun safety wasn't as big back then but I am certain the results would have been the same. People would leave the butt of the gun on the ground and press down on it like they were churning butter. Did I mention this design had a tendency to 'slam fire', well it did. I am sure it looked like three monkeys trying to have relations with a football. End result is this shotgun earned the endearing name of "Widow-maker".

If you get a chance to get inside one of these guns, the engineering (or I could say over engineering) of this thing is mind blowing. There is absolutely nothing about this gun that is intuitive! The more and more obscure it becomes seems to make it more dangerous. In 2005 four police offices were wounded trying to unload one of these shotguns.

When it came out in 1911 it was the highest priced weapon that was assembly line produced by Winchester at that time. As evidenced by the fact most of you have probably never seen or heard of one would let you know it didn't go over that big. They are difficult to find BUT reasonably affordable when you do (as a Winchester goes). They never came with a Walnut stock which, to me, is something I had come to expect from Winchester. All were made of a three piece laminated Beech. They had buffer discs (2 of them) that would wear out and need replaced which seldom if ever happened. When they got hard on the shoulder just put a pad on it until it broke itself apart.

The nicest one I have found for sale, and bought, was from a skeet club in Pa. I was the only bidder and they threw in shipping to make sure it was really gone. In reality, properly maintained and with strict firearm safety, these are the Cadillac's of the semi autos. If you feel the shot it needs serviced. The problem is that the buffer discs have gone the way of the dinosaur. Loving on them has become a side line for me. I have disassembled, cleaned and fired all of mine but today I take it to the next level. I started a total redo on the one from Pennsylvania.

I forgot to take a 'before picture' so the whole gun is another from my stable that will be done in the future. I have at least one more hiding around here somewhere...

DSC05827.JPG

These are all the parts...
    DSC05828.JPG

As usual the forearm is cracked, it seems to be a right of passage...

Last edited:

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Nice writeup. Many call it one of the worst shotguns ever built. As luck would have it, I was gifted one about a month ago by older friend who was moving into assisted living. He had owned the 1911 for 0ver 60 years. I've been working on cleanup intermittently. It's a nice old piece and I had hunted with it a few times in years past. Barrel is marked full choke but I always thought it was modified. Its a great squirrel gun and even with the smooth bore barrel it shoots winchester slugs extremely well out to about 110 yards. Many a deer has fallen to it. It will be cherished until it passes on to my son or grandson.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    A vast majority of the barrels are full choke. I guess that is the way they all wanted them back then.

I would rather shoot one out than roll one down.

Have you had yours totally disassembled? Most write ups would make you think it was a nightmare. There are a few specifics to know but nothing difficult like the old timers would cry about...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I got the metal all done yesterday but my hands are too tired and sore to reassemble the recoil spring today. It is hell to get old. The buffer looks worn but usable and since I don't have any new ones at this time, back it goes.

DSC05829.JPG

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Much has been written about hardware store masterpieces to reassemble these old guns. I use a much simpler route.

I use a stout and stable table, a gunsmith workbench block and two hands.

Place the block at the edge of the table with the recoil nut, buffer and washer stacked in proper order at the edge of the block, the nut on the bottom with the slots down.

DSC05832.JPG

DSC05833.JPG

Already assemble the mag tube as you will be utilizing the end of the follower as a retracting pilot for threading.

DSC05834.JPG

With the assembled mag tube, fore end, barrel and recoil spring in proper order approximate the end of the spring on the stack of nut, buffer and washer with the breech block of the barrel guiding down the side of the workbench block and table.

DSC05835.JPG

Compress the spring by applying down force with left hand while turning the knurled portion of the mag tube with the right to thread the mag tube through the buffer assembly until it bottoms out.

DSC05836.JPG

While maintaining downward pressure continue to turn the mag tube by the knurling in a clockwise fashion feeling for the nut on the bottom of the stack to start threading. It is assumed that you will be holding the barrel vertically to allow a straight threading.

After several turns to assure the nut has grabbed enough threads to retain the force of the spring, carefully lift or tilt the barrel assembly. If you an see threads below the nut you are able to safely lift the barrel assembly.

DSC05837.JPG

Place the barrel on a soft flat surface with the mag tube up. While holding the nut with one hand turn the knurled portion of the mag tube in a clockwise fashion until the nut is completely inboard from the threads.

DSC05838.JPG

Place the retaining ring over the threads next to the nut and while using a small punch of screwdriver to push the nut against the force of the spring, start the retainer down into its groove and while turning the tube continue to seat the retainer until it is under the nut and no longer seen.

The barrel assembly is now ready to be installed into the receiver.

Believe it or not, seating the retainer ring is the most difficult part of this assembly.

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It is easy to see the cracks in the fore end from someone having operated the gun long after it was screaming for service. The butt pad is also a dead give away.

I did get it cleaned, blued and reassembled last night. My method worked yet again, that is three times in one week.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    For the cracks in the fore end you might try MINWAX Hi Performance Wood Hardener. From the can: Penetrates deep into wood, Reinforces soft wood fibers, Forms solid base for filling.

Nice looking boom stick!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    For the cracks in the fore end you might try MINWAX Hi Performance Wood Hardener. From the can: Penetrates deep into wood, Reinforces soft wood fibers, Forms solid base for filling.

Nice looking boom stick!

I will have to give that a try, not much wood there to work with. I didn't notice until I got them both out at the same time that one is a 28" barrel and the other is a 26". I didn't even know they made a full choke 26" until now. I always thought the old timers wanted to reach out and touch someone...

Top Bottom