• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Hi, I live in West Lafayette and just realized the variety of ranges that I have to choose from. I am told that the Jasper/Pulaski park has some nice rifle ranges and is generally a great place to shoot. Willow Slough is about equidistant from my house. I cannot find a description of the types of ranges or if it is popular or nice. Any other suggestions? I am still on the fence on joining the Wildcat Valley Club. That would give me a 24/7 option instead of working with the DNR hours and rules.

Thanks

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I found this info,
    DNR: Willow Slough
    it is not much but if you enter the address into google maps
    (http://maps.google.com/)
    you can do a street view walk through it will give you a view at the road to the range.(about 100yds away)
    It is a little blurry but from I can see it looks like a big range. I had to compare what I was seeing on the walk through to the DNR map to find the range.
    The bulls-eye symbol at the top of the DNR map will be the range.
    There is nothing wrong with joining a gun club or members only range.
    You will find a lot of folks that like guns as much as you do, & will give you info on good deals for guns stuff.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I cannot find a description of the types of ranges or if it is popular or nice.

I haven't set foot on the place in several years or more, so take this for what you will.

There was a pistol range, a 50 yard rifle range and a 100 yard rifle range. Shotgun area and an elevated archery range.

The target hangers for the firearms were made of chicken/hardware wire, expect your target to dance in the breeze. The shooting positions are mostly covered, although in the mornings and afternoons you will be in the sun. Shooting benches are wooden and were in generally poor repair.

There was a Range Master in a 10x12 (ish) hut, that didn't have good visibility of much of anything.

When I would go there for load development or to fireform brass, the ranges were largely run by one of two different Range Masters. Each had his own "regulars" who for all practical purposes ran the ranges.

If the regulars didn't like what you were doing, what you were shooting - or for that matter what you were driving you could expect to be harassed.

Unless something has changed, I'd avoid W.S. like the plague.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    When I would go there for load development or to fireform brass, the ranges were largely run by one of two different Range Masters. Each had his own "regulars" who for all practical purposes ran the ranges.

If the regulars didn't like what you were doing, what you were shooting - or for that matter what you were driving you could expect to be harassed.

Unless something has changed, I'd avoid W.S. like the plague.

I wouldn't waste my time at Willow Slough, I'd drive the little extra and go to J-P. J-P also has a 225 yard lane so if you plan on doing some longer range shooting its the place to go.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I've been to W.S. twice in the last month. The shooting line is covered cement with good shooting benches. There is a 25 yard line with 6-8 shooting positions and one 7? yard shooting position. There are also 50 and 100 yard lines and a shotgun range. The facility is quite well maintained. the last time I went I was there about 9 am and there were one or two people on the 25 yard line with me. By 11 it was full and time for me to go.
    There are at least two R.O.'s one is a young man, he stayed in his shack the entire time I was there, the other is an older guy that I spent 20 minutes bs'ing with before shooting. Not a bad place, but I wouldn't try to get in on the weekends.
    YMMV.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I hear more complaints about Willow slough than any other range in Indiana...........I have been there many times and I have no complaints.
    Jasper/pulaski is a good place also..........if your up for a little farther ride try Winamac:twocents:

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I hear more complaints about Willow slough than any other range in Indiana...........I have been there many times and I have no complaints.
    Jasper/pulaski is a good place also..........if your up for a little farther ride try Winamac:twocents:

I can't make my mind up between JP and Winamac. They difference in drive is negligible... My buddy at work keeps pushing me to JP because he really likes it. I've owned this Mosin for 3 weeks and still haven't shot it! It is driving me nuts. I took it to the local indoor range but I can't shoot surplus or steel tip rounds. Mine happened to be both. SO! This Saturday the misses is out of town and I want to put holes in steel! lol

Top Bottom