Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    28 page informed consent form. Read that twice. I've also read the NEJM coverage of the stage 1 and 2 studies and the studies oversees, information from the NIH, CDC and FDA and numerous other scholarly and journalistic articles. Interesting stuff. There is nothing in all of that which would give me pause about being involved.
    Pretty sure it was 29 pages - you must have lost the one about 5G microchips.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    For those interested in getting the vaccine, Indiana is now open to those 70 and older (in addition to other priority 1A categories).

My mother-in-law (age 83) got her first dose last Friday. Scheduled for the second Feb. 10.

From numerous anecdotal reports (MIL, other family and friends in both Indiana and Michigan) there are many instances of people not showing for their appointments so, because the vaccine is perishable, they are keeping a "stand-by" list of people, many of which would not be eligible at this time, so that they can fully utilize the vaccine that they have prepared. If you get the first dose as a stand-by, they schedule your second dose right then and whether you were otherwise eligible given the priorities is irrelevant. They will administer the second dose. Despite what the news elsewhere is, I have heard of no issues with supply or distribution from the places where I have some inside info.

Last edited:

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    Got my first dose on the 15th. Made me sleepy as can be for a few hours, but other than that it was all good. Ready to get the second one over with!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Biden wants to make sure he gets 100 million doses administered in the first 100 days. Trump was awful and only did 18 million in the first month.

but in the week before Biden came in we were up to 913,000 doses that week. On a massive uptick in administration rate, and Biden wants to do a whole lot more to tick it up another 9% when it's headed there already thanks to existing rollout programs

it's like he wants a car to go 100mph and the idiot trump only took a non-existent car, oversaw its construction, and got it to 92mph and still accelerating, before Biden comes in and says trump is an idiot, I'll get that car all the way too 100!
    what a maroon.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In the eyes of many, Biden will be the hero that ends the pandemic...but getting the vaccines administered is the easy part. Much, much easier than clearing the path to getting them created.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Alex Sigal is a senior researcher at the Africa Health Research Institute and at Germany's Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology. He says the new strain discovered in South Africa appears to have the ability to reduce the effectiveness of antibodies in people infected with the original version of the virus significantly.

"Ten-fold would be conservative," he tells CBS News, but "you can also have a complete knock-out," meaning a person's natural defenses to the original strain of the virus could prove useless against the variant in South Africa.

South African Covid variant may make vaccines 50 per cent less effective, claims Matt Hancock(British Secretary of Health).​

Three new laboratory studies are raising concerns that the immune response triggered by a Covid-19 infection or vaccination may be less effective at protecting against the new strain of the coronavirus that first emerged in South Africa.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

• The Covid variant initially found in South Africa “could evade our medicines,” Eli Lilly CEO Dave Ricks told CNBC on Tuesday.
    • “The South African variant ... is the one of concern. It has more dramatic mutations to that spike protein, which is the target” of these antibody drugs, Ricks said.
    • By contrast, Ricks said he was confident Lilly’s antibody drug would work against the strain initially found in the U.K.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Biden wants to make sure he gets 100 million doses administered in the first 100 days. Trump was awful and only did 18 million in the first month.

but in the week before Biden came in we were up to 913,000 doses that week. On a massive uptick in administration rate, and Biden wants to do a whole lot more to tick it up another 9% when it's headed there already thanks to existing rollout programs

it's like he wants a car to go 100mph and the idiot trump only took a non-existent car, oversaw its construction, and got it to 92mph and still accelerating, before Biden comes in and says trump is an idiot, I'll get that car all the way too 100!
    what a maroon.
    It's like the "mask mandate" for interstate travel. People traveling by plane, train, or bus, are already required to wear masks whether it's interstate or not. So he orders what's already being done so he can put his name on it as if he did it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's like the "mask mandate" for interstate travel. People traveling by plane, train, or bus, are already required to wear masks whether it's interstate or not. So he orders what's already being done so he can put his name on it as if he did it.
    We should feel a little encouragement in that the new administration apparently believed that the Constitution was an actual limit to its power.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We should feel a little encouragement in that the new administration apparently believed that the Constitution was an actual limit to its power.
    That came to mind when I read the order. So there's that. But it's also virtue signaling to order something that's already being done just to say that you're doing something different. In this case, the previous administration left such things up to those industries, which is the way a free society would do it.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'm always leery of "could" and "may" in any news piece or statement describing potential doom and gloom...those kinds of stories/statements get the reader (or viewer) afraid, but using those kind of equivocating words gives the writer/speaker an out should the worst-case scenario described not come to pass.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I'm always leery of "could" and "may" in any news piece or statement describing potential doom and gloom...those kinds of stories/statements get the reader (or viewer) afraid, but using those kind of equivocating words gives the writer/speaker an out should the worst-case scenario described not come to pass.
    I think that's fair in terms of the South African variant. There is real concern though, as some in vitro research demonstrated the variant wasn't neutralized as well.

The mRNA vaccines can be relatively easily modified for a change in spike protein. However, if a vaccine-resistant strain starts spreading we'd then be trying to revaccinate some people as well as all of those not vaccinated yet.

As long as a big chunk of society stays unvaccinated and the virus is replicating, and gets bounced into vaccinated people, that is a recipe for producing vaccine resistant strains (whether this one is or not).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom