Not open for further replies.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    From your article (emphasis mine):
    "Researchers asked healthy, active people to perform cycling exercises until exhaustion on three occasions."

I can't seem to see where they tested people with asthma or COPD. Perhaps you can point that out for me. That is after all the argument that was being made.

Here you go

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think we see a lot of disingenuousness here on this type of topic. Whether we are discussing masks or speech several seem to enjoy pointing out that the constitution is limited to government while entities with deep entanglements with government are described as "private business" and they can do what they want.

I think "prisoner of politics" and "societal disobedience" are pretty clear in what they describe...
    That’s fair.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The problem is that any study you disagree with, you call it politicized. What source would you accept a study from saying masks don't impede breathing?
    Given my own testing, if “science” claims that wearing masks affects no one they’re ***damn liars. If they say wearing masks only affects people with certain health issues I’d believe that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Here you go
    Fair enough. Yet the article does admit this:

"Associate Professor Irving says that feeling relates to increased work of breathing, rather than changes in gas levels, and this feeling is often even more pronounced in people with underlying lung disorders.

‘The reality is that patients with COPD, particularly if they’ve got bad COPD, do find it more uncomfortable to wear a mask and that will be unrelated to oxygen and carbon dioxide levels,’ he said."

So while technically there may be little difference in gas exchange, the difficulty ("increased work of breathing") in breathing is indeed real.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    My "study" gives a much different outcome.
    This seems to potentially underline exactly why I disagree with many of you. Scientific studies truthfully don't care about individual experience...that's not science, that's an anecdote.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Fair enough. Yet the article does admit this:

"Associate Professor Irving says that feeling relates to increased work of breathing, rather than changes in gas levels, and this feeling is often even more pronounced in people with underlying lung disorders.

‘The reality is that patients with COPD, particularly if they’ve got bad COPD, do find it more uncomfortable to wear a mask and that will be unrelated to oxygen and carbon dioxide levels,’ he said."

So while technically there may be little difference in gas exchange, the difficulty ("increased work of breathing") in breathing is indeed real.
    And I'll go back to my original statement: breathing, which I later defined as gas exchange, is not impeded.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The point of the scoring is to indicate distance from average. The score is not an absolute score. So yes, they’d need to recalibrate the test/scoring from time to time.
    I guess it just seems to me that constantly moving where average falls on the scale would skew the results.

I get what mbills said about the caveman, but to me it doesn't work because we don't have a baseline for cavemen.

Oh well, it doesn't really matter if I fully understand it

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom