Wildcat Rimfire Falling Steel - Next Sunday 4/2/2023!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    Hello!

Looks like we're on for the April Rimfire Falling Steel match! Registration opened this morning:

Brookston, IN 47923

Rimfire Falling Steel is an action shooting match using exclusively reactive steel targets and .22LR handguns or rifles. We run 5 stages total and scoring is time plus penalties. Our stages are usually USPSA stages from the match held the previous day!

Schedule:
    Gates open by 8 am
    Setup starts by 8 am
    Registration opens at 10 am
    Shooters meeting at 10:45 am
    Match begins at 11 am

Match fees:
    $20 for the first gun ($15 for Wildcat Members)
    $10 for each additional gun (max 2 per shooter)

Wildcat is a cold range on match day, all guns should be unloaded before arrival. Chamber flags are mandatory on long guns and optional on cased handguns.

If you can RO please indicate that on the registration form. The primary RO on a squad shoots for free.

If you'd like to sign up for our Rimfire Falling Steel Match emails, please go to our RFS page here: https://wvrpc.org/rfs/

Thanks for looking! Hope to see you there next Sunday!

Mick

diverjes06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    GREENWOOD
    I've heard of RFS, but never shot a match.
    Is the round count (stage & match) similar to USPSA? Obviously, the stage layout would be similar.

gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    I've heard of RFS, but never shot a match.
    Is the round count (stage & match) similar to USPSA? Obviously, the stage layout would be similar.
    Hello!

We replace each cardboard target with a steel popper, so generally the round count would be less. But sometimes we overload a stage with targets for a bit of an over-the-top stage. And this year we'll be utilizing one or two of the .22 Texas Stars. So ultimately, the round count may be close to USPSA! (And I and a few others shoot two guns...)

In the event where USPSA gets cancelled the day before, I work to make up some fun stages, but won't have time to set up full walls and shooting boundaries, so we utilize a lot of barrels and possibly fewer targets in those cases.

Come out and give it a try! Everyone seems to truly have fun with this series! Here's the rulebook if you've got questions about equipment classes, etc. https://www.rfsteel22lr.com/rules-idea

Mick

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    RFS is my new favorite sport. Cheap ammo and I can run a rifle and a pistol.

Round count per stage is about 25, so 1x30 on the rifle or 3x10 on the pistol is enough if you don’t miss too much.

I have a holster for my .22 pistol, but you don’t need it since you start from low ready. I use my 9mm mag carrier; they fit loose, but it hasn’t been a problem.

diverjes06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    GREENWOOD
    Last question......
    Do these matches last longer than USPSA?
    It seems like they might, given all the steel to be reset after each shooter and that most shooters will likely shoot 2 guns.

gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    I just signed up this will be my first rimfire falling steel match. I didn't see in the rules about if copper plated can be used or only lead.

These matches tend to go faster than USPSA simply because of smaller squads/attendance. And it seems that people have been really good at helping reset. Surprisingly, not that many people actually shoot multiple guns and I'm not sure why.

Any .22 LR round is acceptable for these targets.

gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    A quick plea for setup help - if anyone is willing to join us by 8 am Sunday, it'll really help. Especially if USPSA has to cancel for rain or high wind on Saturday and we have to set up stages from scratch. (We did that once last year and even though we kept things simple with lots of barrels and spraypainted shooting areas, everyone still seemed to have a lot of fun!)

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    A quick plea for setup help - if anyone is willing to join us by 8 am Sunday, it'll really help. Especially if USPSA has to cancel for rain or high wind on Saturday and we have to set up stages from scratch. (We did that once last year and even though we kept things simple with lots of barrels and spraypainted shooting areas, everyone still seemed to have a lot of fun!)
    Signed up & planning to be there, will help setup.

Top Bottom