• ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    When did this start happening? Did you get a new router?

Turn your work laptop into a hotspot by going to Settings>Network>Hotspot. Connect your Dell 3580 to the work laptop hotspot and see if the problem goes away. If the issue persists, my $ is on the 3580. Go get a usb wifi today.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When did this start happening? Did you get a new router?

Turn your work laptop into a hotspot by going to Settings>Network>Hotspot. Connect your Dell 3580 to the work laptop hotspot and see if the problem goes away. If the issue persists, my $ is on the 3580. Go get a usb wifi today.
    I just went for an hour and a half of resleep and it's still connected. I'm cautiously optimistic that updating the driver took care of the problem. I'll keep the usb option in my mind though. Local places carry them, like Best Buy or Office Depot?

As for using the work laptop for a hotspot, they might frown on that (.gov property, and have to connect via their VPN).

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I just went for an hour and a half of resleep and it's still connected. I'm cautiously optimistic that updating the driver took care of the problem. I'll keep the usb option in my mind though. Local places carry them, like Best Buy or Office Depot?

As for using the work laptop for a hotspot, they might frown on that (.gov property, and have to connect via their VPN).
    Hotspot is just another connection to the Internet. You would then connect your VPN through it.

Both of those stores could potentially have one. The evil Amazon and Walmart are other possible options.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I reboot my router at least once a week. I shut down this (personal) laptop every day. My work computer doesn't drop the wifi signal, but this one does and they're literally like 1 foot apart. I was just curious if it's a software or hardware issue, and how to resolve it (short of replacing the computer. And I work on mainframe stuff (former COBOL developer, now a tester).
    I was constantly having no internet connection though the router was on and connected, usually when I was in the biggest hurry.

I bought a heavy duty timer, it shuts the modem and router down for 15 minutes every night then brings it all back up. Have not had that type of issue since I set that up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was constantly having no internet connection though the router was on and connected, usually when I was in the biggest hurry.

I bought a heavy duty timer, it shuts the modem and router down for 15 minutes every night then brings it all back up. Have not had that type of issue since I set that up.
    I try and do it before I go to bed at night, or else before I get in the shower in the morning. I just unplug it for 30 seconds and plug it back in. The timer's a good idea though!

Top Bottom