• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My personal laptop has been disconnecting from my wifi a lot lately. Like, several times a day. My work computer doesn't have any issues. I'm wondering if updating a driver would likely solve the issue, or is it more likely to be a hardware issue? Even though I work in IT, I'm borderline PC illiterate, so any suggestions are appreciated!

First, is this my wifi stuff? (See how I used the technological jargon? :):)

1674857646909.png

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It's been a LONG time since I worked support, but I have a few suggestions.

That pic is of the properties of your wireless adapter. If it was working previously, you can always verify whether it was updated recently in the log files using event viewer (or Windows Update has an area that shows what patches have been applied). I don't use Windows so I can't recall specific options. Since the driver date on that is 2018, I'm guessing that's not what happened and that the driver isn't the issue (but I could be wrong). You could always download the driver specific to the card and install it to see if it works better.

Honestly, the first thing I would do is to reboot your router if you haven't done that already. Sometimes with too long of uptime, they get problematic and a reboot addresses the issues. Same with your laptop if your one of those people who never shut down or restart... :nono:

Otherwise, I assume if it's a work laptop that you're using VPN? Your company may be having VPN issues and you might have to talk to someone else in IT to see if there are issues affecting more users.

How the heck do you not know this stuff working IT? :): Are you a developer?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's been a LONG time since I worked support, but I have a few suggestions.

That pic is of the properties of your wireless adapter. If it was working previously, you can always verify whether it was updated recently in the log files using event viewer (or Windows Update has an area that shows what patches have been applied). I don't use Windows so I can't recall specific options. Since the driver date on that is 2018, I'm guessing that's not what happened and that the driver isn't the issue (but I could be wrong). You could always download the driver specific to the card and install it to see if it works better.

Honestly, the first thing I would do is to reboot your router if you haven't done that already. Sometimes with too long of uptime, they get problematic and a reboot addresses the issues. Same with your laptop if your one of those people who never shut down or restart... :nono:

Otherwise, I assume if it's a work laptop that you're using VPN? Your company may be having VPN issues and you might have to talk to someone else in IT to see if there are issues affecting more users.

How the heck do you not know this stuff working IT? :): Are you a developer?
    I reboot my router at least once a week. I shut down this (personal) laptop every day. My work computer doesn't drop the wifi signal, but this one does and they're literally like 1 foot apart. I was just curious if it's a software or hardware issue, and how to resolve it (short of replacing the computer. And I work on mainframe stuff (former COBOL developer, now a tester).

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I reboot my router at least once a week. I shut down this (personal) laptop every day. My work computer doesn't drop the wifi signal, but this one does and they're literally like 1 foot apart. I was just curious if it's a software or hardware issue, and how to resolve it (short of replacing the computer. And I work on mainframe stuff (former COBOL developer, now a tester).

Gotcha. I had mistakenly thought it was your work laptop, sorry. Makes sense that you're a Dev/tester and that's why you don't know hardware troubleshooting... ;)

I would reiterate trying the driver specific to your card instead of the MS driver. Not sure it'll help but it shouldn't hurt anything. If the laptop and the router are restarted frequently, the only other thing is checking if anything has changed with the system lately. Have you installed anything or configured anything lately? Changed anything on the router? Like biscuit says, you could always try a USB wireless card and see if that works better. Could be that your adapter is going out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Gotcha. I had mistakenly thought it was your work laptop, sorry. Makes sense that you're a Dev/tester and that's why you don't know hardware troubleshooting... ;)

I would reiterate trying the driver specific to your card instead of the MS driver. Not sure it'll help but it shouldn't hurt anything. If the laptop and the router are restarted frequently, the only other thing is checking if anything has changed with the system lately. Have you installed anything or configured anything lately? Changed anything on the router? Like biscuit says, you could always try a USB wireless card and see if that works better. Could be that your adapter is going out.
    How would I find out what kind of card I have? I thought the Qualcomm info was specific to the card? I haven't changed or installed anything recently. This has just started a couple of months ago.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    How would I find out what kind of card I have? I thought the Qualcomm info was specific to the card? I haven't changed or installed anything recently. This has just started a couple of months ago.
    That screen you posted shows the manufacturer and adapter model. I think the OS can automagically search for the proper driver, or you could download from Dell's site. They have a support page where you can download drivers specific to your model.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That screen you posted shows the manufacturer and adapter model. I think the OS can automagically search for the proper driver, or you could download from Dell's site. They have a support page where you can download drivers specific to your model.
    The screen I posted has a button to update the driver. Should I just try that?

Top Bottom