• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    True Story here...

Noticed the same thing with most every woman I've worked with, the seem to handle it mentally and emotionally better than many men.
    ^^^

So right you are..
    Years ago my Young Bride, with NO firearms experience, received a .22LR. Marlin Model 101 (Single Shot Bolt Gun) from me.
    I placed a nice 4 X scope on it, and sighted it in for Her.

After a couple of times at the range, She got to where She was doing QUITE better than me??
    I had to do the "Right Thing"??= adjusted the scope a little more??
    HA.HA. She was not to happy about that-She learned about "Kentucky Windage" at that time, and still outshot me...

YES they ARE better shots...Bill.

LSUFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Bloomington
    A few years ago, my daughter (now in her 40s) showed interested in shooting. Her husband at the time (USMC alum) took her to a local range and picked a .40 S&W and little to no instruction. As you can imagine, didnÂ’t go so well...loud, recoil, flash. She put it down and walked away intimidated.
    Four years ago, she was interested again and came to me. I showed her a number of possibilities and talked her through what to expect. I gave her a Ruger .22 and paid for a handgun class for her...advising a womenÂ’s only class. Her husband decided to take the class, so no female only instruction. She scored higher on the written test and much higher in the shooting portion. Hubby didnÂ’t like that. A couple of years pass...no more hubby...and I gave her a 20ga 870.
    Last week, she once again talked about wanting to learn more. My wife ( who grew up shooting) and I went to visit her with several pistols and revolvers (9mm & .38 special respectively). We spent the first evening looking at each, reviewing safety rules, learning manual of armsÂ’, etc. Went to a first class outdoor range in east TN, reviewed safety again. Started with shotgun, moved to revolvers, then pistols. She and her new beau are joining the range where they will take appropriate classes for great instruction and to begin process of carry permit. She now owns a Sig 365 XL, shoots it well and safely, without fear.

Nhinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Shelbyville
    I agree with other posters, .22 is a great gun to start with. Cheap, and little to no recoil. I’m working with my wife on a .22lr bolt action rifle to get her warmed up.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    We, wife and I, teach a lot of women. Never try to instruct your own wife or child. Likewise, never buy, or tell her what to carry. We are fortunate to have our own range, so we can do what we want, when we want, and do not have to deal with others. Have several options on hand, and explain each. She will find what she likes. Can never guess what it will be. Have had some ladies love a .500. As noted, start with .22 RF.

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    22 is the best way to start a new shooter rifle or pistol, recoil will scare woman away very fast. If you do use bigger caliber guns try soft loads with heavier frames or heavy barrels. A heavy frame 22 will build her confidence quickly.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom