• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scout5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Charlestown
    It never rains in Seattle. I was there and it did not rain.

For the "never had a gun fire without pulling the trigger" folks. While I believe you that doesn't rule it out.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My understanding in 2017 they fixed that issue. Or somewhere around their. This video is from a year ago, not sure if it is the updated version or a pre 2017. I would think if you had a pre 2017 you could send it in and get it fixed for free.
    Correct, that's why I was wondering what circumstances these pistols supposedly fire. Were they dropped, holstered, laying on the back of a toilet? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, after I got a chance to watch the video in the OP it said holstered weapon discharging.

I'm not familiar with the 320 internals, do they have an actual firing pin block, like the Glock plunger style?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yes, trigger itself was too heavy. It continued on when dropped.
    I don’t believe they was the case with the FCU that ‘wouldn’t’ fire, which is what I was referencing.
    Something sticking, not releasing, something something. Was just curious about that.

Also, this is why I lighten all of my triggers to 3.5 pounds or less. So they’re not too heavy. Am I doing it right?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don’t believe they was the case with the FCU that ‘wouldn’t’ fire, which is what I was referencing.
    Something sticking, not releasing, something something. Was just curious about that.

Also, this is why I lighten all of my triggers to 3.5 pounds or less. So they’re not too heavy. Am I doing it right?

ATLA called, they say yes, but go lighter.

Lpherr

Occupied
    After reading a lot of articles about the P320, I still don't have faith in ours. It's post recall and has the lighter trigger and notch in the slide (their fix), and haven't had a discharge while chambered.
    I still won't carry it based on the reports of it discharging in the holster and ruining a good pair of jeans when the round tapped a hole in people's thigh or knee.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It never rains in Seattle. I was there and it did not rain.

For the "never had a gun fire without pulling the trigger" folks. While I believe you that doesn't rule it out.
    Here's the thing, if there was some indication that the firearms were dropped and went bang or suffered a significant impact and did so, such as was indicated in the original problems with the pistol, then it is plausible that the fault is with the pistol.

The pistols firing on their own, while supposedly holstered, is not very plausible. Certainly far less plausible than human error followed by CYA. Perhaps there will be some solid evidence come to light that the pistol is at fault or at least a believable theory on how the accidental discharge while in a holster can occur. Until then, I'll continue to trust the pistol far more than the people who experienced the accidental discharge.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I'm not convinced. NDs on the part of LEOs is nothing new and will continue to be an issue as training frequency and quality declines.
    There is article after article detailing how Police shouldn't have Glocks because of their lack of external safeties. We've all seen the video of a cop blowing a hole in himself with his "Glowk Forty" in a school while preaching he's the only one professional enough to possess such weapon.
    The issue is the Sig HAD an actual defect and even post "voluntary upgrade" has made themselves the low hanging fruit. Have fun boys every idiot who ND's with a P320 for the remainder of time will cling to this as an affirmative defense.

Ed steinberry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2022
    New castle

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    My understanding in 2017 they fixed that issue. Or somewhere around their. This video is from a year ago, not sure if it is the updated version or a pre 2017. I would think if you had a pre 2017 you could send it in and get it fixed for free.
    Yes sig did a safety recall on p320’s made before a certain date, I had two that were affected by the recall, and both had different things done to them, one slide had mill work, the other didn’t, I assume that’s due to sig saying their guns are “living designs” and little changes are made during production.

And for sending in your 320 you got a free “p320 morale patch” and a 25 percent discount code from their online store, I got a refurbished Romeo 1 red dot for like 150 bucks, and a 320x frame for 75 (they used to be 100)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Correct, that's why I was wondering what circumstances these pistols supposedly fire. Were they dropped, holstered, laying on the back of a toilet? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, after I got a chance to watch the video in the OP it said holstered weapon discharging.

I'm not familiar with the 320 internals, do they have an actual firing pin block, like the Glock plunger style?

Found this hope it helps.

Here's another thought about what's happening. Did these PD's send in their P320's when they issued a recall to fix them? If they didn't wouldn't that be on them? @Kirk Freeman @HoughMade

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Here's another thought about what's happening. Did these PD's send in their P320's when they issued a recall to fix them? If they didn't wouldn't that be on them? @Kirk Freeman @HoughMade

Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

As far as not sent in for recall work, I would think they’d be ashamed to even show their face and make any noise about it at all if they hadn’t.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    It’s funny how it’s always a decent size city or under that sues Sig on the 320. Texas DPS, Ohio and Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Virginia State Police for a combined number of about 10,000 Troopers as well as Tens of Thousands in Homeland Security (and DHS had the early 320’s) had zero reported 320 AD issues outside of operator misuse.

This is nothing more than mishandling or an improper holster.

When agencies went to Glock in droves in the late 1980’s the ADs increased to the point it was coined Glock Leg. That was proven folks didn’t do what they should have done when holstering and covered trigger guard started becoming the norm.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It’s funny how it’s always a decent size city or under that sues Sig on the 320. Texas DPS, Ohio and Oklahoma Highway Patrol and Virginia State Police for a combined number of about 10,000 Troopers as well as Tens of Thousands in Homeland Security (and DHS had the early 320’s) had zero reported 320 AD issues outside of operator misuse.

This is nothing more than mishandling or an improper holster.

When agencies went to Glock in droves in the late 1980’s the ADs increased to the point it was coined Glock Leg. That was proven folks didn’t do what they should have done when holstering and covered trigger guard started becoming the norm.
    You would have thought they would have ran into this problem in the Modular Handgun Trials. Was anything reported then?

I agree it's an end-user problem.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Thanks DS, that's a pretty in depth look at it.

I would say it should be pretty easy to see it that striker safety is damaged allowing the striker to engage in a holstered weapon. If no damage i would imagine it was caused by operator.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    You would have thought they would have ran into this problem in the Modular Handgun Trials. Was anything reported then?

I agree it's an end-user problem.
    Not sure.

The main I’ll say quirk with the Sig is it’s basically a single action as the striker is cocked and their trigger had no safe action or S&W type mechanism to off set centrifugal force. So someone somewhere made one go bang under ideal dropping. So Sig re-engineered the trigger. The Army owns the DOD pistol program so they will always have a safety on it.

With that said a large portion of my career as an Agency Trainer. And I can tell you 99.9-100% of the time when an AD/ND (whatever you want to label it) happened to our Agency it’s the person doing dumb stuff or inattentive handling. But they are always the “victim “

A lot of folks did the same bad practice in the DA Revolver or hammer fired DA/SA days it’s just those designs were a lot more forgiving on bad handling skills than a striker fired design. Especially since many departments pushed heavy DAO hammer fired designed to dumb it down and reduce accidents instead of training for years and then said oh yeah go with this 5 pound striker and the only transition training if your 50 round course your good! Seen that too and that movie doesn’t end well

Top Bottom