Why Would They Put Low Profile Tires And Wheels On Trucks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm going to go with the lawyer answer of "it depends".

With regards to pot holes, the ones I see that would damage a "large" wheel would also likely damage a "small" wheel. I put those two in quotes because you're only looking at the rim size. Most OEM 19" - 22" wheels also use a larger diameter tire than your 16" wheels. Yes there is less sidewall than the wheel/tire combos of old, but for the most part they have found a happy medium that significantly improves handling of modern vehicles without completely sacrificing durability. Tire technology has also massively improved since the days of the 16" standard. The sidewalls used to be very soft and squishy, that's why trucks and SUVs with 16" wheels and massive tires don't feel super stable at interstate speeds. Modern tires have very advanced construction techniques that allow them to flex in specific ways so they can be stable at speed, complaint over bumps, and not get completely destroyed on our roads. Add to the improved tire technology improved suspension technology and you have modern vehicles with functional wheel sizes that were comical in the past.

All that said, there are limits to everything.

Personal experience, in 25 years of driving old and new vehicles with "low profile" tires, only one had significant issues with pot holes and that was the wife's 2002 Eclipse with 17" wheels and very small sidewalls. The current vehicles have 18" and 19" wheels, but still have 2" - 3" of sidewall which I believe is enough for normal road conditions. This still means you have to pay attention and avoid the massive holes in the road, but man hole covers, road joints, and construction things won't be a problem.
    Great reply, thanks…

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    You should feel attacked, those potholes are going after all of us. LOL

Bent one of those impractical wheels yet?
    They suck, the roads around my neighborhood are like driving down a novel written by Hellen Keller.

Haven't bent a rim yet...and for what it's worth I bought the truck like this. When it's time for new tires I might go back to a normal sized rim...might.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I’m guessing it’s simply aesthetics. Kind of like the cars/trucks all blacked out. I’ve seen some I like but I’m too old I guess for it to be appealing to me, as a general rule.
    Black on black vehicles, with extremely dark black window tint, are known colloquially as being 'all murdered up'

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I know most don’t consider SUVs as trucks but my SQ5 came with 20” wheels and 255/45/20. A lot of guys put 21-22” wheels on these bit o don’t think I’d want any less side wall.
    The car has 255/35/20 and the same goes for it. I’m always scanning the road for pot holes and obstacles.
    Does the SQ5 have high performance brakes? Because red or yellow calipers used to actually mean something about that a long time ago

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Does the SQ5 have high performance brakes? Because red or yellow calipers used to actually mean something about that a long time ago
    Yes, I believe Brembo calipers with larger rotors. Also has air suspension, sport differential and drive select with different modes. The A6 has everything but the air suspension. It has sport suspension, differential, drive select, HUD and automatic cruise.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I feel personally attacked :D

Pics of my truck...
    I don't think the tires or overall stance are an issue. Those lights though?

dont-say-it-cant-say-it.gif

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...The car has 255/35/20 and the same goes for it. I’m always scanning the road for pot holes and obstacles.
    My A6 has 19s. I run 235/45/19 Blizzaks on the stock sport wheels in winter, and for the duration of pothole season. I know driving them in these warmer temps isn't great for treadwear, but I'll take all the extra sidewall I can get until the patch crews get moving.

I'll switch to a set of 19" peelers I bought from a kid with an S5 with 255/40/19s in a few weeks when the roads are marginally better.

The 40 series is my limit. I love the look of your 20" wheels and 35s, but I live out in the boonies and I'm afraid even our 'good' roads would kill them.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    My Rio runs a 205/45/17 tire. We’ve got a couple bent wheels between the two cars but overall they have held up well. Considering both are over 100k miles and the newest is 9 years old I’d say tire and whee tech is pretty good

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I prefer bigger wheels and plenty of sidewall. Unfortunately I'm about due for a new set of rubber and I'm going to have to hit the lottery to pay for them now.
    J39TvZTh.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My A6 has 19s. I run 235/45/19 Blizzaks on the stock sport wheels in winter, and for the duration of pothole season. I know driving them in these warmer temps isn't great for treadwear, but I'll take all the extra sidewall I can get until the patch crews get moving.

I'll switch to a set of 19" peelers I bought from a kid with an S5 with 255/40/19s in a few weeks when the roads are marginally better.

The 40 series is my limit. I love the look of your 20" wheels and 35s, but I live out in the boonies and I'm afraid even our 'good' roads would kill them.

The 20s came on both vehicles and the dealership just put new rotors, pads and Continentals on the A6 so I’m rolling on them for a while. I’m a BBS fan and I’d love set of 19” CHs but unless I got a “deal” on a set that’ll probably never happen. I do have a set of 18” 5x100 CH Motor Sports from my GLI though, maybe I can find a trade. I haven’t checked the difference in tire prices yet but I know sometimes that can be the deciding factor on wheel size.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Stick with the 20s. Tire prices for 19s are ridiculous.
    That’s what I was thinking. I’m not sure if 18” would clear my bigger brakes or even look right on the car. But I have time to look around. I have a friend that wants to trade me a set of 19” Audi Rotors for a set of 18” Audi CH I have. I might do that and see how that works out. I don’t put the mileage on cars that I used to so maybe I’ll throw a good set of all seasons on them and run as winter wheels.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    That’s what I was thinking. I’m not sure if 18” would clear my bigger brakes or even look right on the car. But I have time to look around. I have a friend that wants to trade me a set of 19” Audi Rotors for a set of 18” Audi CH I have. I might do that and see how that works out. I don’t put the mileage on cars that I used to so maybe I’ll throw a good set of all seasons on them and run as winter wheels.
    Only a very limited few OEM 18s will clear on standard A6 brakes.

I love the 19" rotors. Best looking wheel Audi makes. I only settled for my peelers because they are essentially brand new and only paid $500 for the set.

Top Bottom