Why would my stove start smelling like kerosene?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    When I started up my gas stove to cook supper tonight, I started to get a slight odor of kerosene. We've been doing a bit of staining today but my wife said she has been smelling it the past few days before we started the staining.

Is my range going bad? The flames are a nice blue color. It is older, probably 20+ years if I had to guess. I did the match test at each burner on top of the stove. No extra fire or anything.

I've never heard of this before but searching online does say it could be a bad range. I guess I don't understand how the smell could change.

Thoughts?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What sort of stain? Most modern solvent wiping stains have a lot of mineral spirits in them that has a kerosene like smell. Gas should have no smell other than the mercaptan they use to make it stink.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Nice blue flame is good.
    Rotten egg smell is bad. (leak)

What could be happening is called "product of combustion". In the house someone used or opened some sort of stain, paint, varnish or comparable compound including cleaners. The molecules carry over and get mixed in with air and then burned off from open flame. If you light a candle or a lighter you will smell the same odor, although not as strong- the more flame the stronger the odor. The odor should dissipate over the next few days after there are no more molecules from the source left in the air.

Now this contradicts what your wife is saying. So tread lightly my friend.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    A
    When I started up my gas stove to cook supper tonight, I started to get a slight odor of kerosene. We've been doing a bit of staining today but my wife said she has been smelling it the past few days before we started the staining.

Is my range going bad? The flames are a nice blue color. It is older, probably 20+ years if I had to guess. I did the match test at each burner on top of the stove. No extra fire or anything.

I've never heard of this before but searching online does say it could be a bad range. I guess I don't understand how the smell could change.

Thoughts?
    Aldehydes!!!!! The flame on your gas range is burning at 3400 degrees. It will take the vapors of any solvent and turn it into another smell and even change the color.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Nice blue flame is good.
    Rotten egg smell is bad. (leak)

What could be happening is called "product of combustion". In the house someone used or opened some sort of stain, paint, varnish or comparable compound including cleaners. The molecules carry over and get mixed in with air and then burned off from open flame. If you light a candle or a lighter you will smell the same odor, although not as strong- the more flame the stronger the odor. The odor should dissipate over the next few days after there are no more molecules from the source left in the air.

Now this contradicts what your wife is saying. So tread lightly my friend.
    Excellent Post.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    High humidity will cause natural gas to burn yellow. We get a lot of calls for this. It can take months for a gas stove to burn blue again. This is okay though. As long as the tips in the flame are distinct and touching. You can still safely humidify your home but your stove is going to be yellow.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    By kerosine smell, do you mean what a kerosine burner smells like in use or the smell of the liquid, unburned fuel

A smell usually interpreted as burning kerosine is common during inefficient/incomplete combustion quite often of plastics or organics. Maybe check for spills on/under burners that are getting slowly burned off during use. Thanksgiving cooking is really good for all sorts of stuff to be spattered all over during prep/stirring etc

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The smell was the same as if you had a kerosene heater going.

We had the house aired out yesterday and didn't stain today. I put a pot of water on the stovetop and brought it to a boil. No smell.

So us "recalling" the smell was a trick of our mind.

Top Bottom