Why pay a premium for a Glock, or CZ, or H&K?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwjohnson1965

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Lebanon
    I’m with you on being open minded for new things. I get people are loyal to their brand and see things for possibly what they were and not are ( ex. Taurus didn’t have the greatest reputation as I’m sure you know ) seems to me that generally speaking a striker fired pistol of today is either made of good components or lesser for the most part . Everything mechanical can malfunction so stand firm my friend I’m sure the bad guy won’t refuse to die because he was shot with a Taurus instead of a Glock !

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just purchased a Glock 44 (22 cal) just for plinking. I already own a Taurus TX-22 that costs about $200 less. The TX-22 has a far superior trigger and is noticeably more accurate. Glock missed “Perfection” on the G44. I also own a Taurus G3 that is just as reliable and accurate as my Glock G19…only $250 less.
    What kind of price tag are you gonna put on that piece of junk G44 in the classifieds?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What kind of price tag are you gonna put on that piece of junk G44 in the classifieds?
    I don't see where he called Glock a poj. He is saying for the cost Taurus has built just as reliable firearm as Glock and he thinks the TX22 is better than the G44. I can't say anything about the G44, but I know the TX22 is a great 22lr pistol.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't see where he called Glock a poj. He is saying for the cost Taurus has built just as reliable firearm as Glock and he thinks the TX22 is better than the G44. I can't say anything about the G44, but I know the TX22 is a great 22lr pistol.
    You really are just trying to work him out of that good price he was working on aren't you.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have seen cheaper guns outperform expensive guns from time to time. I used to really like Bersa 380s. I think that I had like 5 of them over years past. I decided to step up to the Wather PPK/S because it's the same gun but in stainless and better built. That damned thing took 500 rounds and some serious internal work to get it to function. The Bersa's were good out of the box for $250 and the $600 Walther took 500 rounds before it ran well.

The thing is though, 3 of my Bersa's ended up failing and going back for repair later on. One was replaced under warranty when the barrel pin kept walking. Once running well, the Walther ran beautifully ever after. As much as I liked the Bersa's, all ended up sold because I just didn't trust them. With only a little bit of shooting, I'd have been firm on the side of cheaper can be better but I shoot a lot and as round counts rise, cheaper tends to fail with a greater frequency

That's fine on range toys but for carry, I invest in quality every time

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have seen cheaper guns outperform expensive guns from time to time. I used to really like Bersa 380s. I think that I had like 5 of them over years past. I decided to step up to the Wather PPK/S because it's the same gun but in stainless and better built. That damned thing took 500 rounds and some serious internal work to get it to function. The Bersa's were good out of the box for $250 and the $600 Walther took 500 rounds before it ran well.

The thing is though, 3 of my Bersa's ended up failing and going back for repair later on. One was replaced under warranty when the barrel pin kept walking. Once running well, the Walther ran beautifully ever after. As much as I liked the Bersa's, all ended up sold because I just didn't trust them. With only a little bit of shooting, I'd have been firm on the side of cheaper can be better but I shoot a lot and as round counts rise, cheaper tends to fail with a greater frequency

That's fine on range toys but for carry, I invest in quality every time
    Let's just say every firearms company has lemons from time to time. Some just have more than others.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Let's just say every firearms company has lemons from time to time. Some just have more than others.

This is true. I’ve always maintained that a big part of what you pay for with a higher end firearm is better QC but even with that, flawed guns do make it out of the factory now and then. That Walther should have never left the factory as delivered. Once it had the sharp edges broken and feed ramp fixed though, the better design of the Walther showed through when compared to the Bersa.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The thing is though, 3 of my Bersa's ended up failing and going back for repair later on.

Durability/longevity is one of the main differentiators between duty grade guns and "just as good as." Since most "shooters" are actually "owners", that will never be a concern for them. It'll last the 50 round box they may put through it before it changes hands, either traded for the hot newness of the day or at the owner's estate sale.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some people would rather buy lesser rigs new than better rigs used.

Miss on some good deals w that thinking.

I picked up an HK P30L w 5 mags for 400 used. Wanted a thumb safety model but at that price figured I could tolerate the diff.

LOL

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is there a website that shows the "just as good" gun's half lives point to part with them?

At how many rounds or how many hours of carry are you on the wrong side of the reliability curve?

Is there a scale or graph that shows the rounds fired vs hours carried vs competition/class hours, where the gun has been truly stressed?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Taurus is used by South American Military and police. I'm not sure what Taurus firearms they use but they are in use down there. According to Taurus there are some police departments in the United States that use Taurus as well. Again not sure what Taurus firearms they use.
    Go to another forum, guy there trained the Brazilian Hostage Rescue Team guys.....and they had Taurus, and hated em.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Go to another forum, guy there trained the Brazilian Hostage Rescue Team guys.....and they had Taurus, and hated em.

I read they are using the TH9 now since 2019. That article is from 2007. Anything within the last 5 years or so? Or on the TH9?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Some people would rather buy lesser rigs new than better rigs used.

Miss on some good deals w that thinking.

I picked up an HK P30L w 5 mags for 400 used. Wanted a thumb safety model but at that price figured I could tolerate the diff.

LOL

All of my carry guns are used now days. The two P226s were police trade ins and both of the P229s were lightly used pre-owned. The police guns got resprung and GG triggers but the other two were gtg. There’s no need to buy low end new if you can find top shelf used for the same money

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    8oc4S96.jpg

:abused:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

After what happened to HK I bet a lot of European and American manufacturers are very leery of selling to Brazil's government forces.

Budget guns may be good enough for carrying in a hybrid holster in the Beech Grove Walmart but I'm with them, I want the real stuff for narcos that are shooting back at me.

Top Bottom