Why pay a premium for a Glock, or CZ, or H&K?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This was due to institutional inbreeding where the 10 to 14 pound DA pull allowed some to get by with bad gun habits where a 5 pound striker was not so forgiving. (but in 1988 we did stuff a little different in a bad way)

Not just bad habits but intentional training to get on the trigger early, "trigger prepping", etc. Think of how many old holster styles leave the trigger exposed so you can be on the trigger before even clearing the holster. The old "Fitz Special" notion of cutting the trigger guard to allow faster access to the trigger and was even done with 1911s.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I don't need to watch that video I owned a Glock 20sf and found it completely reliable and accurate. If there was a problem with his it was probably just a lemon. It happens to every manufacturer. Doesn't matter how good their reputation is.
    " it was probably just a lemon"

If you think that, then you should watch his follow up. He sent the gun to glock, they fired over a hundred and found nothing wrong. In your video, he fires and it looks to jump out and his hands. Magtec not barnburner rounds and he admits he may not be shooting it well.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    If cheap is the goal, why not grab a highpoint?
    Maybe a Harbor Freight checkout line pocket knife and a Wal-Mart toy section whistle to make the walk from your Geo Metro to the Double-wide a little safer.
    i have a hipoint that i bought 23 yra ago. i have upwards of 9k rounds through it. only issues: cracked grip & rear sights got knocked crooked. they may be cheap & they may be ugly but with a lil love frankenstien's monster is still going strong.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Not just bad habits but intentional training to get on the trigger early, "trigger prepping", etc. Think of how many old holster styles leave the trigger exposed so you can be on the trigger before even clearing the holster. The old "Fitz Special" notion of cutting the trigger guard to allow faster access to the trigger and was even done with 1911s.
    Yeah, we have come a LONG way of doing stuff a lot better since those years. At least in the area of Firearm training and use

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Not meaning to get off topic but I'll ad to this as a LE trainer. Many many agencies had a lot of ADs when going to Glocks from DA revolvers or traditional Hammer fired DA/SA autos. So many it was termed Glock Leg.

This was due to institutional inbreeding where the 10 to 14 pound DA pull allowed some to get by with bad gun habits where a 5 pound striker was not so forgiving. (but in 1988 we did stuff a little different in a bad way)

As far as the shooting abilities or training. LE generally has a 10% 80% 10% breakdown. Top 10% are your folks that train on their own time and dime. Take quals serious and always try and improve. Your top shooters and tacticians. Then the bulk are 80% that meet minimum standards (which doesn't mean they are proficient they just meet the minimum standards so check box til next qual)

Then the bottom 10% are what causes agencies to dumb stuff down for everyone else.
    If you keep the finger outside the trigger guard until sights are aligned and sight-picture is acquired, no negligent discharges...

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If you keep the finger outside the trigger guard until sights are aligned and sight-picture is acquired, no negligent discharges...
    True but as I stated doctrines were a little different back in the 1970's and 1980's DA revolver days. Many agencies (to include the FBI) actually use to teach prepping the trigger during the draw. Recipe for disaster especially when folks got ahead of themselves and started in the holster.

The other issues were when folks shoved that striker fired gun into the holster with about 25 pounds of force and that 5 pound trigger got caught on something Why most holster makers got away from loose floppy thumb breaks

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. I will not buy a cheap gun, but finding and buying an inexpensive gun is rewarding.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    i'm really considering buying a g43 or g23 in .40 or .45.

i've seen some pd trade ins listed for less than $500 lately. if i have the time this weekend i'll see if i can rent one at a range.

i have nothing against reliability. i hear the ergonomics take a little getting used to.

Glocks tend to point oddly because they are very aggressive in lowering the bore axis. With a bore axis as low as they were able to get it, you have to increase the grip angle to get the trigger finger comfortably aligned with the trigger. Lots of people can get comfortable with that angle but for those of us that shoot a variety of guns, adjustments can be made. On my G23s, I run a GripForce Adapter which adds a bit of material at the top of the grip to change the grip angle. It pushes the gun up in your hand a bit while rotating the grip angle to be closer to what many other guns have.

For me, the result is that I no longer tend to shoot high with Glocks after shooting other guns a bunch. It works for me but YMMV.
    e9af392bdee1c213f1900708b6878309.jpg

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Glocks tend to point oddly because they are very aggressive in lowering the bore axis. With a bore axis as low as they were able to get it, you have to increase the grip angle to get the trigger finger comfortably aligned with the trigger. Lots of people can get comfortable with that angle but for those of us that shoot a variety of guns, adjustments can be made. On my G23s, I run a GripForce Adapter which adds a bit of material at the top of the grip to change the grip angle. It pushes the gun up in your hand a bit while rotating the grip angle to be closer to what many other guns have.

For me, the result is that I no longer tend to shoot high with Glocks after shooting other guns a bunch. It works for me but YMMV.
    thanks for the tip. a guy i work with mentioned the same thing. he told me i i actually buy 1 he would give me some pointers. he's used to shoot competively until he had some health problems. he still does but it's more for fun. he gave me some pointers over the past year that tightened my groups considerably.

i'm hoping to get to the range this weekend and see if i can rent a glock or two.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    thanks for the tip. a guy i work with mentioned the same thing. he told me i i actually buy 1 he would give me some pointers. he's used to shoot competively until he had some health problems. he still does but it's more for fun. he gave me some pointers over the past year that tightened my groups considerably.

i'm hoping to get to the range this weekend and see if i can rent a glock or two.
    Once you go Glock, you won`t go back buddy...;)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    i hope they're not as addictive as sigs. i might end up living in my car
    I moved from Glocks to M&P 2.0's and then on to Sig P320's & 365's over a progression of many years. Glocks run and they are a simple machine which is a good thing.

I just found ergonomics on the M&Ps and then the Sigs better.

Personally I shoot the Sig better and I had the gamut of Glocks.

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

My god that is a thing of beauty

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I tried to like Glock but that grip angle is a major learning curve for someone who hasn't shot one for 30 years then picks one up. I say if it's a new shooter and they learn with that grip angle they will be happy. I got to where I was able to hit good with my Glock 20sf but still hated the way it pointed. Just doesn't seem natural.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    Not meaning to get off topic but I'll ad to this as a LE trainer. Many many agencies had a lot of ADs when going to Glocks from DA revolvers or traditional Hammer fired DA/SA autos. So many it was termed Glock Leg.

As far as the shooting abilities or training. LE generally has a 10% 80% 10% breakdown. Top 10% are your folks that train on their own time and dime. Take quals serious and always try and improve. Your top shooters and tacticians. Then the bulk are 80% that meet minimum standards (which doesn't mean they are proficient they just meet the minimum standards so check box til next qual)

Then the bottom 10% are what causes agencies to dumb stuff down for everyone else.
    Great comment. I like this type of insight.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    I agree with this, but only when you either learn to shoot it well alone, or with a buddy that will get you passed the “abnormal grip” people seem to always complain about. OR if it’s your first handgun shooting experience! I learned how to shoot on a 19, and still have my first one to this day…but I’ve been on several range trips where others have struggled to get used to it and just didn’t have the help to get used to the nuances.

Some people tell me I’m a nutball for thinking this, but I’m convinced that learning how to shoot on a Glock made me a better handgun shooter on other platforms(1911/Sig high bore axis stuff/etc, etc.)

Top Bottom