• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I recently attended an IDPA shoot where there was no qualifier stage. Because I am a relatively new IDPA shooter I have been trying to attain qualification in SSP. As I understand it I must shoot four qualifiers before I can receive a designation. With only so many shoots that I can attend, whether due to time, distance, scheduling, etc, it is important that the shoots that I do attend have a qualifier stage.

Is there an additional cost to the club or additional reporting that is required to the national organization which creates a hardship re: turning in qualifier scores ? I've also thought about shooting a different category - but once again the ability to shoot the required number of qualifiers is a factor.

Lastly, since I am only allowed to shoot two IDPA matches w/out being a member I am am wondering if I should continue shooting this venue or participate in USPSA only. This is my second season of participating in local only club shoots and I've yet to attain four qualification scores. I shot two events last year before joining, then two more during the summer after becoming a member. This year I've been to two shoots in Indiana - only one has had a qualifier stage. I am not a devoted aficionado at this point, but even if I were and would be willing to travel further and shoot more often I think this is still a valid question. ( I am a current member of both organizations )

Thoughts and comments appreciated - thanks in advance.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    IDPA has a special match for classification. Each club is required to have one per year for the purpose of classifying the competitors.
    Wildcat has already had theirs for this year. Atlanta Conservation Club is going to have one in August. At the State Match you would
    have to be classified in the division you were competing in.
    USPSA has a different means of classifying with some matches designated just for that.
    Keep shooting IDPA and USPSA. Both are fun.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Your understanding is a misunderstanding. IDPA doesn't calculate percentages for classes like USPSA and doesn't have a classifier stage in every match or any match. You need to shoot a classifier, which is usually a whole match or an event held after a match. 90 rounds, 3 stages.

If you need a classification badly, Bluegrass Sportsmans League in Wilmore, KY is holding a classifier on the 4th Saturday. Redbrush in Newburgh "might" hold one the first Saturday of July and WSSC in Evansville will probably hold one in the next couple of months.

Or, you can always see if a club has an SO that is willing to run you through it and turn the score into HQ.

There's no hardship to a club in running a classifier or turning the scores in. Hope you find a classifier match soon. Hang with it, someone will put you through sooner or later.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I recently attended an IDPA shoot where there was no qualifier stage. Because I am a relatively new IDPA shooter I have been trying to attain qualification in SSP. As I understand it I must shoot four qualifiers before I can receive a designation. With only so many shoots that I can attend, whether due to time, distance, scheduling, etc, it is important that the shoots that I do attend have a qualifier stage.

Is there an additional cost to the club or additional reporting that is required to the national organization which creates a hardship re: turning in qualifier scores ? I've also thought about shooting a different category - but once again the ability to shoot the required number of qualifiers is a factor.

Lastly, since I am only allowed to shoot two IDPA matches w/out being a member I am am wondering if I should continue shooting this venue or participate in USPSA only. This is my second season of participating in local only club shoots and I've yet to attain four qualification scores. I shot two events last year before joining, then two more during the summer after becoming a member. This year I've been to two shoots in Indiana - only one has had a qualifier stage. I am not a devoted aficionado at this point, but even if I were and would be willing to travel further and shoot more often I think this is still a valid question. ( I am a current member of both organizations )

Thoughts and comments appreciated - thanks in advance.

First, in terms of vocabulary, it's "classifier," for both IDPA and USPSA. USPSA features individual courses of fire that are usually incorporated in monthly matches one at a time, or several in a special classifier match. IDPA is different because it only has a specific 3-stage classifier match that is supposed to be held at clubs at least once a year.

You can see the rules and the classifier match details here: IDPA - Welcome!

You can't get classified in IDPA unless and until you complete the classifier match. You're supposed to do it at least once per year.

Finally, any certified IDPA Safety Officer can run the classifier match. It doesn't need to be at a scheduled event or an affiliated club. If you can't or won't attend a scheduled classifier match, you might be able to contact an SO who will do it for you.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Your understanding is a misunderstanding. IDPA doesn't calculate percentages for classes like USPSA and doesn't have a classifier stage in every match or any match. You need to shoot a classifier, which is usually a whole match or an event held after a match. 90 rounds, 3 stages.

If you need a classification badly, Bluegrass Sportsmans League in Wilmore, KY is holding a classifier on the 4th Saturday. Redbrush in Newburgh "might" hold one the first Saturday of July and WSSC in Evansville will probably hold one in the next couple of months.

Or, you can always see if a club has an SO that is willing to run you through it and turn the score into HQ.

There's no hardship to a club in running a classifier or turning the scores in. Hope you find a classifier match soon. Hang with it, someone will put you through sooner or later.

It was announced at last IDPA match at Red Brush that July's match would be a classifier. That would be July 5th for those following along.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Thanks to everyone for the clarification(s). Especially to Joe (Rhino). One additional question or scenario. When I was shooting competitive skeet the NSSA would track indvidual shoots and running scores. A shooter could start out in Class D in the spring but begin to better througout the year and end up in a higher class by the time the state shoot was held in the fall.

In IDPA it seems that classifications occur once a year (?) and no upgrading results regardless of how much a shooter may have improved unless he attends multiplier classifier shoots. As a result, an appreciably improved shooter who might actually be competitive in a higher class would still compete in his original "lower" class. If the shooter knows he is showing marked improvement at matches he can avoid attending subsequent classifying shoots.

I realize this begs the question of why would anyone remain in a lower class on purpose. Believe me, I've seen examples of what some folks will do to win a shiny trophy or belt buckle.

I'm still attempting to learn the rules of IDPA and USPSA - dialogues like this are helpful.

Again, thanks

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Thanks to everyone for the clarification(s). Especially to Joe (Rhino). One additional question or scenario. When I was shooting competitive skeet the NSSA would track indvidual shoots and running scores. A shooter could start out in Class D in the spring but begin to better througout the year and end up in a higher class by the time the state shoot was held in the fall.

In IDPA it seems that classifications occur once a year (?) and no upgrading results regardless of how much a shooter may have improved unless he attends multiplier classifier shoots. As a result, an appreciably improved shooter who might actually be competitive in a higher class would still compete in his original "lower" class. If the shooter knows he is showing marked improvement at matches he can avoid attending subsequent classifying shoots.

I realize this begs the question of why would anyone remain in a lower class on purpose. Believe me, I've seen examples of what some folks will do to win a shiny trophy or belt buckle.

I'm still attempting to learn the rules of IDPA and USPSA - dialogues like this are helpful.

Again, thanks

Close to getting it now. An IDPA shooter can increase their classification at major matches if they beat 9 people in their class or a combination of 9 in their class and the classes above. Other than that, you've got to shoot your way up in a classifier. Also, you can only drop one class below your highest rank in any division.

Classifiers are only valid for one year.

There are sandbaggers in every shooting sport. Some just dig the wood, I guess, but I find it a lame reason. It's not fair to shooters who actually are in that class for someone shooting a class above to stay there. Sometimes you have to because classifiers are a bit infrequent. At the local level it doesn't really matter.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Be thankfull your first match was not a classifier! IDPA is a lot of fun but you would never know it from shooting a classifier, as allready said it is 90 rounds on three stages. These are standard drills, nothing like a regular IDPA match so thank goodness it only has to be done once a year. You have to have shot a classifier within a year of competing in a sanctioned match but in all honesty you can shoot in most "club" matches without it. Jim.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks to everyone for the clarification(s). Especially to Joe (Rhino).

You are welcome!

Be thankfull your first match was not a classifier! IDPA is a lot of fun but you would never know it from shooting a classifier, as allready said it is 90 rounds on three stages. These are standard drills, nothing like a regular IDPA match so thank goodness it only has to be done once a year. You have to have shot a classifier within a year of competing in a sanctioned match but in all honesty you can shoot in most "club" matches without it. Jim.

I kind of like shooting the classifier. It's actually a pretty good drill to practice most of your shooting and gun handling skills that uses less than two boxes of ammo.

Top Bottom