• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I would love to attend, unfortunately my wife works every other weekend and they always seem to be on the wrong weekends. :xmad:

You mean the shoots are on weekends she's home? :): :): :):

I took time off to be at the mid week seed in Cloverdale. Though, I must confess, I'm an Orange Hat. But I sponsored two shooters who had never been to an Appleseed before.

Having two more people bailing was worth it. :D

If its something you want bad enough, a means to do it will present itself.

So, how bad do people want it???

netsecurity

Shooter
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Great video Que! I want to attend so bad, but what's with the events in Atlanta CC, where I am told they don't n have a 100yd range? That's where I'd like to go, but is it different, or are they shooting in a field temporarily or something? I' also curious whether my AR15 or scoped 700, .30-06, would be better take.

jve153

Expert
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    any of the above will work. if you take the ar, make sure you get either 10 or 20 round magazines, as the 30 round mags are too long and hit the ground in the prone position. the 20 rounders are easier to remove when changing magazines (2 stages on the AQT require mag changes). I have been told the ten rounders can be a pain in the tail region. magazine fed rifles make the day easier. the vast majority of people rock a 10-22. i have shot a marlin 795 for the three events ive run. whatever you bring, the rifle is not the important thing. an open mind, and the will to learn is what is important. marksmanship resides behind the trigger, with good fundamentals, the caliber does not matter.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Great video Que! I want to attend so bad, but what's with the events in Atlanta CC, where I am told they don't n have a 100yd range? That's where I'd like to go, but is it different, or are they shooting in a field temporarily or something? I' also curious whether my AR15 or scoped 700, .30-06, would be better take.

All of the instruction is done at 25 meters using reduced size targets.
    Most of the fundamentals are not distance specific.
    At ranges which allow longer distances, a small portion of day 2 will be shot farther to prove that.
    If you can hit a 1 inch target at 25, you can hit a 4 inch target at 100 and a 20 inch target at 500 using nothing more than a sling for support.

Full distance will be offered at Camp Atterbury this year but it will be a slightly modified course of instruction to account for all the extra walking.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    How many AQTs do you normally shoot in an Appleseed? How much ammmunition should one take to an Appleseed?

You may get an opportunity to shoot one or two on the first day, but the majority of AQTs take place on day two. The number is dependent on how fast everyone is moving, but you can shoot from the very start of the class until it's time to clear the range in the evening. If you are shooting a 10-22, a box of ammo (500 rounds) will suffice.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    How many AQTs do you normally shoot in an Appleseed? How much ammmunition should one take to an Appleseed?

It can be as many as 12 in one day! Now that is an extreme example, but I would plan on 1 or 2 on Saturday (it helps that the days are getting longer) and somewhere between 6 and 10 on Sunday. Part of that depends on the range (like at Cloverdale where we can't put rounds down range until 10), how much people need some tuning up on Sunday morning, and what else the range can accommodate such as KD. If you're bringing a .22, I'd recommend getting a new bulk pack of ammo before coming out and plan to shoot most of it.

ETA: dang it, Que beat me to the punch.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I would LOVE to attend an Appleseed, but alas, I am always working on Sundays. The Appleseeds that are during the week or one day only are always too far away. One of these days, I'll get lucky enough to find one that works for me. I would go on May 19, but that's the day for Nift's firearms law class in Ft. Wayne.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    The skill set is taught on Saturday. A couple of Sat. only Seeds and practicing will go a long way towards to becoming a rifleman. You can earn your patch on Saturday events.

jve153

Expert
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    the skills are all taught on saturday, with a refresher sunday. most saturday classes you will get a chance to shoot an aqt or two. as far as learning, saturday is the day you need to be there, whether or not you get a patch is besides the point. the history, the marksmanship skills are above and beyond worth the price of admission

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    wanted to bring this thread back up because Que's video followed by the LoveMyWood's Appleseed shoot are what finally made me get my son and I to an Appleseed.

WE LOVED IT! I'll have my AAR up in a few days, once I've recovered and had some time to reflect on what all we learned.

Needless to say we are HOOKED! And have already registered for the next one at Atterbury.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Havent really looked into Appleseed, but maybe they can help me take full advantage of this Savage rifle:D maybe it's time to look into em. Thanks guys!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Appleseed teaches them good!

643965_10151114988113528_1568196069_n.jpg

Story here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_great_outdoors/238276-sons_first_deer.html

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I haven't attended because my shoot in cloverdale was cancelled!
    All is good, as I got to reschedule for this upcoming event in crawfordsville! I can't wait!

Top Bottom