• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammer

Master
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I would like to attend, and would not mind getting in on the Atturberry event coming up but, I am limited in long range capable equipment. I do have a 742 Remington in 30-06 which is more than capable but 500 rounds of ammo for it would break the bank. I also have a Yugo SKS and a SAR-1 but unsure if either would be capable of being accurate enough.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    I would like to attend, and would not mind getting in on the Atturberry event coming up but, I am limited in long range capable equipment. I do have a 742 Remington in 30-06 which is more than capable but 500 rounds of ammo for it would break the bank. I also have a Yugo SKS and a SAR-1 but unsure if either would be capable of being accurate enough.

Well, there's an easy way to find out how accurate you can be with any of those...

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I understand where you are coming from. I would recommend a regular Appleseed first. If you have a 22, you can pick up enough ammo for the weekend with $20 & I personally think that the practice there is better spent than you would get at Atterbury. Although I haven't been, from what I've read it is a pretty fast pace. If it was me, I would want to learn my fundamentals before trying to apply them at longer range. Its frustrating enough when you aren't hitting where you want with cheap ammunition, let alone at $1/round. You would spend alot to feed that 742. The SAR1 would be alot cheaper but I'm too unfamiliar with the platform to know if it & its ammo are capable of 4moa out to 400yds (16" target@400yd). Whichever you decide, you would be most welcome at any Appleseed line. :patriot:

Hammer

Master
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I understand where you are coming from. I would recommend a regular Appleseed first. If you have a 22, you can pick up enough ammo for the weekend with $20 & I personally think that the practice there is better spent than you would get at Atterbury. Although I haven't been, from what I've read it is a pretty fast pace. If it was me, I would want to learn my fundamentals before trying to apply them at longer range. Its frustrating enough when you aren't hitting where you want with cheap ammunition, let alone at $1/round. You would spend alot to feed that 742. The SAR1 would be alot cheaper but I'm too unfamiliar with the platform to know if it & its ammo are capable of 4moa out to 400yds (16" target@400yd). Whichever you decide, you would be most welcome at any Appleseed line. :patriot:

And I don't think me shoulder would be to thankful of my decision to go with the 30-06 either.

cyprant

Master
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I wonder if any one else is in my situation...if so, maybe a group of us could make it work...

I haven't attended because being away from my kids and wife for a whole weekend is not going to happen. I feel guilty enough shooting for half a day at a USPSA or Steel Challenge match...

My kids are too young to tag along and we don't have a baby sitter for a few hours at night let alone a weekend

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Then don't go all weekend. There are 1-Days at MCFG that Spitfire et al run that are excellent. Each 2Day event is essentially based on the concept of presenting all of the fundamental lessons on Saturday and using Sunday for refinement and repetition. So, if you went on a Saturday only you would still walk away with a handle on the points of instruction.

I have heard the argument for not sacrificing a weekend before, and I don't buy it. The 1 Days have been pushed and publicized on this forum for years.

I have heard the no ammo argument before and I don't buy it. Indiana Appleseed instructors are walking arsenals and will willingly provide ammo for you at cost in almost all situations. If you present an Appleseed ticket to Indiana Army Surplus in Bedford they will sell you .22 at cost. If you aren't in there area and contact them or an Appleseed instructor in their AO they will see you get the brick.

I have heard the "I don't need fundamental help, I have experience" argument before and I don't buy it. Everyone needs good coaching and Appleseed's instructors are REQUIRED to be capable of shooting Expert scores on the Army Qualification Test from the late 40's, the one that rifle aficionados claim to be the most stringent used in the Army's history. Not everyone is as a good a teacher as some others may be, but your instructor will be a proven expert who loves what they are doing so much they volunteer to do it. That ain't nothing. In addition, I have seen a double Distinguished Marksman and Kentucky hipower champion shoot their first Appleseed AQT, stand up, turn to the Line Boss and say, "That was harder than I thought, can you wait to start the next one? I need to run to my truck and get my databook." At the end of the day, they quietly said, "This clinic was the best marksmanship instruction I have seen." At the last Atterbury shoot I had one guy come up to me so aggravated he was nearly in tears. He had worn a Ranger tab for our Uncle and claimed, "I know that I am better with an A2 now than I was any day I served. I can't understand why you guys and teach this in a day and I was never taught this way before." Fatguyinalittle coat was at the same shoot, served in the Army as an 11B for many years, and sat in the shade of the service barn having an existential moment while the instructors did their debrief. I asked if he was okay and he could only say, "I'm fine. I have to process this." The guy literally lived and worked the Way of the Gun for years and still had his mind blown. I am not the best shooter on the planet, but I am no strawberry princess (am I an apricot princess? maybe.) and I still learn things at Appleseeds. Michael Bane of Shooting Gallery did an episode on Appleseed and what the TV didn't show you was that he and his producer had an argument. The producer did not want them to come back on Sunday, Bane, who was hooked, insisted they come back. When asked why, he shouted (paraphrasing from our conversation at the NRA Convention), "Because I brought a two thousand dollar handmade 10-22 and that girl down there is outshooting me with a stock model and iron sights. I still have something to LEARN!" When the producer threw a fit on Sunday because Bane didn't shoot an expert score on his first Sunday AQT, Bane became agitated, "I am not leaving without a patch and if you think its easy here's my rifle." Bane is a well known guy with a TV show that does a ton of guided hunts and safaris. When techres and I bumped into him at the NRA Con, he had a leather jacket on with a bunch of patches on it. In the place of honor, right over his heart, was his Rifleman patch. He had no trouble saying he had worked harder and found out more about himself earning that one than any other.

I have heard the cost argument before and I don't buy it. There isn't a Shoot Boss in the program that a PM to on this forum or the Appleseed forum wouldn't produce a workable solution to.

I have heard the "not one close by" argument and I don't buy it. This year there has been an Appleseed within 45 minutes of every corner of the state. How close would it actually have to be? The backyard? Heck, if your backyard is suitable we'll do one there, just ask lovemywoods.

I hear a lot of things and don't buy them. The reason is because I have been there. I have used those excuses myself. When I break through the muck the REAL reason I didn't go was because I didn't want to. I didn't want to because it would be bunch of people I didn't know and I hate people (I ended up going with a buddy, which is the best way). I didn't go because there was a test, and that meant I may fail, and I may not be as awesome as I think I am. I wasn't, but then I went back and I became awesomer than I was before. I didn't because I had other things to do at the house. I went and it turned out I needed to do an Appleseed more than I ever realized.

You don't want to leave the family? That is why you need to go. Captain Davis didn't want to leave his family. That is why he had to go. You don't want to leave your family? That is why we need you to come to one.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County

My kids are too young to tag along and we don't have a baby sitter for a few hours at night let alone a weekend

First things first ... you need to sign up yourself AND your wife for an Appleseed ... then let me know when and where it is ... I have access to some qualified babysitters who might be willing to watch the kiddos while you and your wife are on the line. If it's at a range like Marion County Fish & Game, we should be able to use the club house as the child care center.

As stated earlier in this thread ... there are ways to make things work out.

The difficulty for some is that they need to put in some extra effort.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have heard the "not one close by" argument and I don't buy it. This year there has been an Appleseed within 45 minutes of every corner of the state. How close would it actually have to be? The backyard? Heck, if your backyard is suitable we'll do one there, just ask lovemywoods.

That was always my problem, and I came up with the same solution LMW did. It worked out great, and after deer season Im sure there will be a shoot number 3 here.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    Cyprant,

If you really want to go, let me know. I will bend over backwards to find you an excellent babysitter (I have some in mind) at an affordable price.

If your wife can not or will not attend, then we can work on a solution for you to attend on your own ... the Appleseed at NPCCC would not require you to be gone overnight. You would be home at a decent time in the evenings. If you went Saturday only, it wouldn't be much more than a day at work.

If cost is too much, PM Auntiebellum on the forum and explain your situation. She's the likely Shoot Boss for this shoot or can bend someone's ear.

If it's ammo ... I couldn't possibly be more than four miles from your front door ... show me a ticket for the NPCCC Appleseed and I will deliver a brick of .22 to your front door ... FREE. Show me tickets for you and your wife, and I will deliver two bricks for FREE. If you want to shoot centerfire, I can work on getting you some at cost. Need gear? rifles? ... just ask.

The ball is in your court.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

I wonder if any one else is in my situation...if so, maybe a group of us could make it work...

I haven't attended because being away from my kids and wife for a whole weekend is not going to happen. I feel guilty enough shooting for half a day at a USPSA or Steel Challenge match...

I don't know the age of your kids but I took my son which just turned 9. I bought him a youth 10/22 and its all sit up for Appleseed, you are more then welcome to use it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've done seeds on saturdays only, specifically for/with my wife and kid. Saturday is the day you get all the instruction. Sunday is filled with AQT's, to the point that you get tired of doing them. The wife and kid would get tired of that quickly, so one day participation on Saturday is all that was needed (though they missed the best 'personal' stories told on Sundays imo). Bringing them along is bonus! And a heck of a steal considering the cost of theirs! (damn near nothin).

Do a search. Hands down, the biggest bang for your buck is an appleseed.

One day appleseed for male adult: $50 + range fee
    One day appleseed female adult: $20 + range fee
    One day appleseed under 18 (w/paying adult): $0 + range fee
    One day appleseed with instructors like OlHuff, Yellowhouse Jake, ATM, etc.: priceless.

8-5 all week. What's one extra 8-5 day out of a year (there 108 of them fyi)?

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    If you want to see why people should come to an Appleseed look no further than this thread. Read these posts. Look what people are willing to do to make this happen. Not just for you, they would do it for anyone. What other program produces that kind of response from its attendees? Don't you want to find out why?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think I posted here before, but I was among the "I'm not available on any of the dates within driving distance" crowd and in my case it was factual. As soon as I had an open weekend that coincided with a Crawfordsville event, ATM made sure I was there. I'm glad I went. I learned some stuff, had fun, and proved that long pants are not required in single digit temperatures with wind on top. Heh.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I think I posted here before, but I was among the "I'm not available on any of the dates within driving distance" crowd and in my case it was factual. As soon as I had an open weekend that coincided with a Crawfordsville event, ATM made sure I was there. I'm glad I went. I learned some stuff, had fun, and proved that long pants are not required in single digit temperatures with wind on top. Heh.

Long pants are not required if there is a sufficient lack of quit.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Long pants are not required if there is a sufficient lack of quit.

Oh, I've got plenty of quit in me. I'm a well known quitter! I once got a wrinkle in my stockings that sent me in a dither, then there was the day there was a loose thread on the hem of my skirt that had me packing for home.

Top Bottom