• ...and so much more!
  • spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    1. Not sure what it is
    2. Don't own a 22
    3. Not sure where to look or sign up for one
    Those are my answers to the question

You've had plenty of answers already on what it is and where to sign up, so I will simply add that enough appleseed instructors are on here that if you post that you need to borrow a rifle we will without a doubt get you set up with one.

And everyone needs to hear ATM sing his multiple variations of safe rifle at least once.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I would be interested in seeing the class itinerary, broken down hour by hour or section by section. Also, if I come with a .22 bolt action single shot rifle, I assume I am OK to fire? Can it be scoped or do we just use iron sites at Appleseed. What kind of targets and what distance will we be shooting from? Explain the scoring methods and what the rewards are. Thank you.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Where is Lunch Lady during those interviews? I cant tell you how much I was bummin making that drive to MO while you guys were there shooting to distance. Just made me crazy sitting in that car knowing I could be on my belly in the mud instead! Darn work schedule!:(

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I would be interested in seeing the class itinerary, broken down hour by hour or section by section. Also, if I come with a .22 bolt action single shot rifle, I assume I am OK to fire? Can it be scoped or do we just use iron sites at Appleseed. What kind of targets and what distance will we be shooting from? Explain the scoring methods and what the rewards are. Thank you.

PB, I've heard you could complete the AQT course of fire with a single shot bolt action Cricket but it'll be pretty tough. There will be timed segments where you need to put 10 shots down range in under 1 minute.

Iron sights work fine & the peep style work much better IMO. Tech sites are highly recommended. Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories My rifle was scoped. My daughter borrowed a Tech Sight gun on day 1 but we scoped her lighter 10/22 compact for day 2 & she did much better.

I'm not sure if anyone will break down 2 days into hour by hour but maybe. You'll start out with some simulated 100-400 yard British Red Coat target to see how bad you really shoot. Then pick up marksmanship tips, technique, how2, take some short breaks, eat a group lunch & hear some good history stories then it's back on range for some against the clock AQT shooting for scores. That'll pretty much cover day 1. You'll see your groups shrinking and be hooked and back for day 2 for sure.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Is it inappropriate to come watch an Appleseed?!

I am curious to see the how and whats of the event...

Jeremy, I'm sure there would be no problem with coming out to watch, but that would be like watching Friday Night Steel. You will want to shoot after you see the level of instruction and compare it to what we learned in the military.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010

You can bring any rifle that has sights and shoots bullets. A sling will help tremendously and is highly recommended. A lot of the basic fundamentals we teach don't change based solely on the rifle. Scopes or irons, either way works. Most of the shooting is done at 25 meters, on day 2 we generally will do some longer distance shooting if the range can accommodate it and if the shooters are interested.

Basic itinerary: day 1 starts with what we call the "redcoat" target which gives us a basic idea of everyone's shooting ability to start out. Then we put up a "five-square" target and teach some basic fundamentals such as steady hold factors for the prone position, six steps to firing a shot, natural point of aim, rifleman's cadence, and how to adjust various sight systems. In the afternoon we move into the standing and sitting/kneeling position. Afterwards we'll move into an old Army Qualification Test (AQT) that forces you to put together everything learned so far. At the end of the day we repost the redcoat target from the morning to see how everyone improved. Day 2 consists of more AQTs, some known distance shooting if possible, and some other fun activities depending on what everyone wants to do. History is interspersed throughout the weekend and is at least as important as the marksmanship. Generally a fun time will be had by all.

Rewards: The only physical reward is the Rifleman patch that is earned by scoring 210 out of 250 possible points on the AQT (which has multiple targets of various size to simulate different distances, each target has a 5-, 4-, and 3-point area). The only downside of a single-shot rifle is it's more difficult to get that score with one, although it is possible. Other rewards include getting to know cool new people (if you're lucky, hearing ATM sing is worth the entire price of admission), improved marksmanship, and knowing more about how our country started and the sacrifices that all Americans need to honor. It's also a heck of a lot of fun to spend a weekend out shooting, so if nothing else there's always that.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Jeremy, I'm sure there would be no problem with coming out to watch, but that would be like watching Friday Night Steel. You will want to shoot after you see the level of instruction and compare it to what we learned in the military.

I would like to see what goes on first though.

I am currently teaching my Wife how to shoot as well (She had not touched a Firearm until we started working with her on a GSG-1911 and a .22 Rifle.). I mainly want to expose her to the Culture and Atmosphere while we are building her confidence and abilities.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would like to see what goes on first though.

I am currently teaching my Wife how to shoot as well (She had not touched a Firearm until we started working with her on a GSG-1911 and a .22 Rifle.). I mainly want to expose her to the Culture and Atmosphere while we are building her confidence and abilities.

Got it! Find a location and see what it's about. I'm sure you will regret it, but let me know and I promise I will only say, "I told you so!" one time. :D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

you've got my attention since there's one held about ten minutes from where I live :patriot:

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Hickman,

If you're talking about Bedford, register early, it's common for that range to lierally sell out months in advance.
    April is sold out
    June still has some slots left.

HH

Top Bottom