• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    What state was this and what load was used? I’m very intrigued by a 9mm deer!
    Texas, for starters. Check out the field reports:

Mr. Camp has been dead for some years now. Some of that info is showing its age, but most of still accurate.

Please keep in mind that, as was related to me by Mr. Camp back in the day, Texas deer are not Northern whitetail. They're smaller.

I do wonder why the .45acp isn't approved for deer hunting in Indiana as long as loads above a certain power factor are used.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Texas, for starters. Check out the field reports:

Mr. Camp has been dead for some years now. Some of that info is showing its age, but most of still accurate.

Please keep in mind that, as was related to me by Mr. Camp back in the day, Texas deer are not Northern whitetail. They're smaller.

I do wonder why the .45acp isn't approved for deer hunting in Indiana as long as loads above a certain power factor are used.
    Yes, Texas deer are about half the size of our deer on average. A 9MM wouldn't be my first choice but with the right ammo it would certainly get the job done on deer that size.

The only reason 10MM and .40 S&W are legal is because enough people pushed for it to get the law changed. It would have made sense to do .45 ACP or at least .460 Rowland at the same time but their wasn't as much interest.

green46105

Gun enthusiast, gun collector, lover of firearms
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2023
    greencastle indiana
    Ya there is alot of validity to the 10mm round for hunting. It is one of the rounds i would like to take hog hunting with me. I mean i hear they carry it for back up when they bear hunt. If you look at the ballistics on it, it hits like a mac truck and is a fairly flat shooting round for a hand gun round. I defiently woulnt be afraid to use it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you go to Alaska there's a lot of guys betting their life that a 10mm will keep them alive in a worst case scenario with a big angry critter so I think a deer should be just fine. If you're using full power 10mm ammo, you're shooting something more powerful than a 357mag and less powerful than a 44mag. I bought my 10mm for my next trip to Alaska because that's the most power I can handle and still shoot accurately. If you put the time in, you should be good to go for any deer at whatever distance you're sure you can put it in the vitals at.

For those of who have taken deer with your 10mm, I'm curious what ammo you were using.

Top Bottom