• Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    So you single handed wiped them out of inventory...:):
    I guess I did. That's a new first for me. :O
    Also, a first for me: Filled out the 4473 on a tablet. Really, it's kind of efficient. Zipped right through it.
    Other observations:
    - Me and the young dude behind the gun counter counted the long guns they had left: A total of 11, including a couple of Crickets. Lots of empty slots.
    - Only ammo they had out (in the gun section or at customer service up front): Some Win AA 28 gauge. Somebody even wiped out the 16 gauge they had a week or two ago. Kid said that 28 gauge was truly all the ammo in the store.
    Man, it's freaky out there!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    My LGS has had some firearm inventory but I don't think they have alot of ammunition and the prices reflect that. I live in NWI close to the Illinois border and they get alot of Illinois traffic in there as well. Was in there Sat to pick up a transfer and they were packed.

I'm just glad that I have everything I need.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    This is why I tell people that are actually holding off looking for a deal that will never come along to buy any kind of a gun. Ammo as well.
    Old man at Plainfield Shooting Supplies shop said if you want it and we have it, buy it. Don’t ask questions, don’t bicker about the price. It will be gone in less than a day. My wife laughed until I took home an SAS 365. I’ve always wanted one..

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    This sounds like me right now (besides thinking I can just go down the street because I'm well aware its hard to find)

TLDR version is that I just got into guns due to my FIL. My family never had guns nor "believed" in owning any.

Just starting out within the last 3 months is very difficult and honestly I'm that guy that just bought my first gun and am trying to stock up whatever I can find.

Sucks but its the situation I'm in.
    Better late than never and hope you can expand your collection, but do so wisely. Add some visits to your Local Gun Stores in your weekly rounds and you'll never know what deals may pop up. But, be prepared to buy when you see them because if you walk away it will be gone. Keep an eye on out INGO classifieds also, there are always a few gems that show up.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Hardware store in Plymouth has a good selection of gun and ammo still.
    I didn't really look at prices, but 9mm was $40 for a box of 50
    Glad I'm set

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Old man at Plainfield Shooting Supplies shop said if you want it and we have it, buy it. Don’t ask questions, don’t bicker about the price. It will be gone in less than a day. My wife laughed until I took home an SAS 365. I’ve always wanted one..
    To be fair, that's how Bob at PSS has done business for a long time anyway. The supply/demand has changed, but I'm pretty sure I've heard Bob say that for the last decade or more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To be fair, that's how Bob at PSS has done business for a long time anyway. The supply/demand has changed, but I'm pretty sure I've heard Bob say that for the last decade or more.
    In his store he is right. His prices are always among or lower than the best and his inventory moves through there PDQ.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    In his store he is right. His prices are always among or lower than the best and his inventory moves through there PDQ.
    Agreed, and he doesn't like to keep up with waiting lists as he knows when it comes in, he'll sell it anyway without having to make any phone calls.

JJ6187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    New Salisbury
    I'm curious to see if prices start dropping once things open back up. I know the production of ammo got hit 3 fold with coronavirus, the protests, then Biden winning, but at some point, things have to turn around, right? I continually complained to my wife about not having enough ammunition to last and right after the BLM protests hit Louisville, she finally agreed we needed more guns and ammunition so we purchased 1000 rounds of 5.56. Now I'm wishing I would have been buying cases for the past few years.

I haven't been buying ammunition in large quantities since last year, but have we had a major ammunition drought like this before? and when did it get better?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    One of my son's and I have been collecting firearms and ammo for 25 -30 years. I don't recall seeing any "ammo shortage" like this before. Yeah there were shortages of rim-fire, occasionally shortages of certain calibers, but nothing like today with all the new gun owners, and the latest election results.

I have a feeling this one could last more than a year. Son and I aren't in the market for anything right now.

We normally purchase in bulk. We had plenty of 22 cal during the last shortage, when it was over we ordered 7500+ rounds during the Federal coupon deal and purchased another 3 or 4M rounds at gun shows. When the Russian 7.62 X 54R was selling for $80 / 440rd sealed case, I bought a few thousand rds. We have several thousand of .556, .308, 30-06, 762X39, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 long colt, 38 SPL 357 Mag, etc.

We also have molds and plenty of lead for most calibers plus a lot of bullets, primers, and powder & have equipment to load 35+ calibers.

We will wait this out, then buy more when the prices are right. I feel sorry for those that just started out in our hobby, but not for those people many of the members here (including me) warned that these shortages occur periodically and to stock up.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    One of my son's and I have been collecting firearms and ammo for 25 -30 years. I don't recall seeing any "ammo shortage" like this before. Yeah there were shortages of rim-fire, occasionally shortages of certain calibers, but nothing like today with all the new gun owners, and the latest election results.

I have a feeling this one could last more than a year. Son and I aren't in the market for anything right now. ...
    I agree this one may be multi-year.
    That said, it does remind me quite a bit of the one that began in December 2012 and went on for a few years. I'd argue these past 10 months or so have been uglier than the first year of that one, and this one does look like it might hit harder and last longer.
    And that's gonna flat out suck.

bsmithg19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Blackford County
    I suggest taking up air rifle, and I will likely join you. At least for me, the previous .22 shortage went on the longest of any caliber. I couldn't find a round of it to be sold in a normal store for 3 solid years, but I could buy .45, 9, 5.56, etc. It was about a month before election 2016 that I was finally able to find some at a Dunham's in a much smaller area, and there was still a 2 box limit. By 2018, things had finally returned to normal. That was about 6 years of having to chase after 22.
    Last year I bought one of those full auto DPMS CO2 BB guns. I have tons of CO2 cartridges and BB's and they are a blast to shoot. Mainly bought it because I can actually shoot it outside at my house in city limits, but seems it's a lot more practical now to subsidize range time.

Top Bottom