• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    So, I went to the Academy in Terre Haute tonight and they had a single handgun in the display case -- a black and gray Ruger Wrangler. I asked the two guys behind the counter, "Is that literally the only handgun you have left in stock?"
    Answer: Yep.
    Weird is getting weirder, I guess.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Online they haven't had any ammo (22lr, 9mm, 45acp, 38/357mag, etc) in stock for at least 6 months. Have been subscribed to several alerts for the same amount of time with nothing.

Have happened upon 12 gauge 00 buck and some 20 gauge #1 buck at decent prices. $12.99 I believe per 25 round box.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    This is why I tell people that are actually holding off looking for a deal that will never come along to buy any kind of a gun. Ammo as well.

Ammo I just bought less than 2 weeks ago for $.67/rd is now over $1/rd and climbing.

I didn't get burned too hard on the firearm or mags, and wasn't happy about paying double price for ammo, but it certainly beats triple price.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    So how does it shoot?
    So, I went to the Academy in Terre Haute tonight and they had a single handgun in the display case -- a black and gray Ruger Wrangler. I asked the two guys behind the counter, "Is that literally the only handgun you have left in stock?"
    Answer: Yep.
    Weird is getting weirder, I guess.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    That's depressing as hell. The Dunham's in Crawfordsville has a limited selection of all guns but their prices are kinda stupid. The Wrangler is a nice gun too so I'm guessing it won't last very long.

Last edited:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I was a member of "prime" target sports membership. Prime members get the first 3 hours to buy on an alert but its not worth it at 600$ of case of 9mm. Im glad i was buying a multiple cases at 169$ for the last couple years on the membership.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    The most recent stimulus payment couldn't have been timed better to empty out the rest of anything gun shops had in stock.

I just can't figure out what they're feeding them.

I watched a guy buy what was pretty clearly his first pistol ever at RK a few weeks ago and he basically got laughed out of the store when he asked about boxes of 9 to go with it.

Are these guys thinking they're going to just go down the street and it will be different? Like, the store was out of milk today, but surely the gas station will have some...?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

I watched a guy buy what was pretty clearly his first pistol ever at RK a few weeks ago and he basically got laughed out of the store when he asked about boxes of 9 to go with it.

Are these guys thinking they're going to just go down the street and it will be different? Like, the store was out of milk today, but surely the gas station will have some...?
    My local shop still has 9mm in stock. Looks like it's up to $32 per box now, but if you have none, that first box is nearly priceless.

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side

This sounds like me right now (besides thinking I can just go down the street because I'm well aware its hard to find)

TLDR version is that I just got into guns due to my FIL. My family never had guns nor "believed" in owning any.

Just starting out within the last 3 months is very difficult and honestly I'm that guy that just bought my first gun and am trying to stock up whatever I can find.

Sucks but its the situation I'm in.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    My local shop still has 9mm in stock. Looks like it's up to $32 per box now, but if you have none, that first box is nearly priceless.

$32 actually strikes me as not too bad in this market. That's only about double priced.

This sounds like me right now (besides thinking I can just go down the street because I'm well aware its hard to find)

TLDR version is that I just got into guns due to my FIL. My family never had guns nor "believed" in owning any.

Just starting out within the last 3 months is very difficult and honestly I'm that guy that just bought my first gun and am trying to stock up whatever I can find.

Sucks but its the situation I'm in.

We all have our reasons and it just is what it is. If you don't mind paying, the stuff is out there. Like I said above, $32/box is steep, but it's not like nobody can afford to spend $32 if you really have to.

If I were brand new in the hobby right now and already had my most basic defensive pistol stuff addressed, I'd probably be looking to get a sturdy 12ga pump. 12ga target/bird loads have historically always been available and if you can stomach a few extra bucks for whatever 12ga home defense rounds you'd prefer, you have the default in home security addressed as well.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    $32 actually strikes me as not too bad in this market. That's only about double priced.
    Was paying $160 per 1k round case less than a year ago. $32 per $50 is 4 times higher

Granted prices are going to definitely continue to rise, so if ya need it, you better buy it now.

Top Bottom