• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm guessing builders started doing this long ago. My 2006 house was built with an outlet under the sink. Half was switched for the disposal, the other half was always hot for the dishwasher. I'm also guessing the idea is you can open the cabinet and yank the plug in an emergency much faster than finding a circuit breaker.
    It is also cheaper than running two circuits like my house, saves a breaker and a romex run...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm guessing builders started doing this long ago. My 2006 house was built with an outlet under the sink. Half was switched for the disposal, the other half was always hot for the dishwasher. I'm also guessing the idea is you can open the cabinet and yank the plug in an emergency much faster than finding a circuit breaker.
    Have you seen how stuffed my cabinets are? It be faster to get REMC to disconnect the meter than dig through to find the outlet.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Oh my, I would hate that! Another thing I will take with me from my current house.
    It took me some getting used to the batch feed, but it doesn't bother me much anymore, besides now I compost my food waste rather than sending it to water treatment so it doesn't get used as much now.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Have you seen how stuffed my cabinets are? It be faster to get REMC to disconnect the meter than dig through to find the outlet.
    I know the feeling. But for me and where the outlet should be it wouldn't be bad. Most of my cabinets yes. But where the outlet should be is a trash can and not much else on that side. Yes I keep my kitchen trashcan in the cabinet, it keeps the dogs out of it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Job is done, but I had to reroute the plumbing. Good thing I put removable plywood panels on the basement ceiling.

(And the new one had no corded plug)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    how fast can you remove the dishwasher from under the counter, full of dishes and water. And possible over a tile lip if you are in a certain house.... LOL
    It strikes me that a dishwasher and disposal are better hard wired. But what do I know? I'm just a logic driven IT guy who moonlights as a sparky. :dunno:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    how fast can you remove the dishwasher from under the counter, full of dishes and water. And possible over a tile lip if you are in a certain house.... LOL
    It strikes me that a dishwasher and disposal are better hard wired. But what do I know? I'm just a logic driven IT guy who moonlights as a sparky. :dunno:
    I think you misunderstood. The outlet for both devices is under the sink accessible by opening the cabinet and moving whatever might be in the way. The dishwasher is still wired underneath but instead of directly to romex and a circuit breaker, it's wired to a standard plug that snakes to the cabinet under the sink.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    ...and I'm notifying the gvt. that I am installing a new dishwasher why?
    What code requires, in a matter like this, is for electricians not homeowners who will then get to do it right when they sell their home and it is found not to code. No one is notifying government in any case…

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What code requires is for electricians not homeowners who will then get to do it right when they sell their home and it is not to code. No one is notifying government in any case…
    Should I ever sell my house, if someone pulls out the dishwasher to check the wiring, I will give you $100, adjusted for inflation.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It will be a negotiation counselor…

And the situation is apparent from looking under the sink, no dishwasher removal needed…
    I've not found many home inspectors to be up to speed on a lot of code, and some of this would be what code was when the home was built, when the appliance was installed, etc.

In any case, in my experience home inspectors don't seem to catch a bunch of this stuff unless it is particularly egregious.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Mine is wired to a wire coming out of the wall behind the dishwasher. Can't see it under the sink.

WS above is correct, the inspectors are frequently out of date.

When I sold my last house they tried to ding me for my roof decking not having tie-down clips due to the thickness of the osb.
    I looked up the code and showed them mine was thicker than the minimun for the clips. After some back-and-forth, he finally agreed I was right and we were meeting code.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've not found many home inspectors to be up to speed on a lot of code, and some of this would be what code was when the home was built, when the appliance was installed, etc.

In any case, in my experience home inspectors don't seem to catch a bunch of this stuff unless it is particularly egregious.
    I agree with most of this. Code is complicated by the grandfathering that many young contractors are weak on. The profession of home inspection is getting much better since licensing and mandatory continuing education. The advent of franchise inspection companies also helps increase knowledge, as many inspectors were just self taught with no accountability. Knowledge of code is weak all around.

Top Bottom