Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    You had me until you misspelled "patient" and said "clip."

:facepalm:

And Bravo to Colonel Failure... Well played sir, well played.

Grammar Nazi :D

Yeah, I'm told that he got that way shortly after he received his permit. :cool:

As to the OP's statement: I guess I am out of the loop--never had children. I try to take young people out to "the range" whenever I can though. It's quite cool to see them get excited about shooting sports.

I also agree that some don't see it as interesting until they get a little older. I think some of them start to see that the need for survival knowledge outweighs the need for PS3 skills.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    When I was a kid, I can remember many days shooting my pellet guns in the back yard. Back when no one freaked out about it. Started shooting with my Dad when I was 17 or so, got my first pistol and LTCH when I was 18. I lost my Dad to cancer last year. Some of my fondest memories is shooting with my Dad. He was a good Man and a patriot. The problem with a lot of kids these days are they are lazy. This Country was founded by rifleman. It was not a hobbie, but a way of life. If you did not hunt, you did not survive. My Dad grew up on a farm, hunting was a means of survival.

Next Generation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Its been years since I posted on this sight I still think its a great site for the people of Indiana and gun owners in general. Just an update I did get the kids into the shooting sports.

Daughter competed in air rifle and small bore.
    State Champ more than once
    Shot at Camp Perry 3rd and 4th in air and small bore
    Got College Scholarship to a Military College.
    Joined ROTC and the National Guard

Son's team placed 3rd at AIM Nationals in Sparta

Shooting sports have been great to teach them so many disciplines I could go on for ever.

Please everybody help get the next Generation of Shooters out there and involved not with you but others. We need to promote the good of the sport.

Thank you.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Walking down the street in today's city and asking kids to go shoot with you would likely end with a police visit brought on by one of their parents. Not a good end to the day, but that's the way things are.

That said, I've brought my kids up with firearms and they enjoy shooting when they visit.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I used to take all the youth in my church to hunter safety education classes but I ran out of kids to take. They're all grown and moved away. My church doesn't have any youth to take.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    3 of my kids have done 4-H Shooting Sports. In Porter County, they do archery, .22 rifle, .22 handgun, black powder, and shotgun all in 1 project. Going strong here. My oldest son became a 4-H Shooting Sports pistol instructor in Kentucky before he had to move for Michigan for a job.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It's up to parents to get their kids involved in firearms and firearm safety , that being said I have found Video Games are actually a huge benefit for bringing in new people to shooting sports. Most of my friends my age (mid 20's) play Call of Duty and that more often than you think gets them to purchase their first firearm.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If all you have to add to this thread is my spelling problem then I guess you don't have anything Itellegent to add. (check Spelling). Who Cares?

The point is lets get the Next Generation out.

Can anybody tell me where there are Programs NRA, ATA, NSSF or any shooting sport for Kids in North East Indiana.
    I'll admit they can be difficult to find, but some do exist in the Northeast.

Are you looking for this information because you want to get involved, because you want to get your kids involved, or because you are just looking for a place to rant?

Check out The Wild Turkey Federation Jakes program. The IWL of Huntertown also includes shooting sports (archery and rifle) in their youth summer camp.

Are you currently sponsoring any groups or activities? Do you have any NRA (or comparable) certifications to participate with Scouting or a Trail Life group?

Are you willing to host/organize a Revere's Riders or Appleseed event?

If you need a range that is willing to work with someone to host a youth shooting event, I can make arrangements and contacts to make it happen.

If you, Next Generation, are offering a challenge and are willing to work with others to make something happen, I will work with you.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Can anybody tell me where there are Programs NRA, ATA, NSSF or any shooting sport for Kids in North East Indiana.
    Revere's Riders always welcomes youth to their basic rifle program. We generally have at least one event a year that is all Scouts. Granted the events are more centrally located; but, our programs are well worth the drive.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It's up to parents to get their kids involved in firearms and firearm safety , that being said I have found Video Games are actually a huge benefit for bringing in new people to shooting sports. Most of my friends my age (mid 20's) play Call of Duty and that more often than you think gets them to purchase their first firearm.
    Video games sure held my fascination with guns for the 10+ years it took to finally buy and shoot some. There is probably more gun knowledge in the population today than ever before thanks to video games. What 17 year old boy doesn't know what a G36 is?

Video games -> people like Garand Thumb -> owning real guns is a MAJOR pipeline into guns for young people. All it takes is that spark of curiosity from seeing one in a video game and then googling it.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I used to be a gamer and still play when i can. I also collect and train with firearms, as well as spend time outdoors. I even get a 80 hr week at work regularly. If you can't keep up with me, you're just lazy. Darn old generations...

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If you need a range that is willing to work with someone to host a youth shooting event, I can make arrangements and contacts to make it happen.
    Just to repeat this for anybody listening...

If you want to arrange/sponsor/develop a youth shooting event, I can take a proposal to a Board of Directors that is looking for community outreach to do this very thing.

Part of what I do is ensure a safe, well maintained range is available. What we need is more people enthusiastically looking to utilize it.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Lets cut this to the chase.

Got my my son in the the 4H 22. Shooting Program last year. Almost got canceled because not enough kids enrolled.

Put daughter in 4H Archery before the movie. Hey when the movie came out it was great. Lots of kids enrolled.

Had Son enrolled in 4H Black Powder - Class cancelled lack of kids.

We all hear about the Bad stuff in the world. All I see is kids playing Internet Games that would make my Parents (God Rest) cover there eyes.

Who Is teaching the Next Generation how to live off nature? How many of you have taken your kids Squirel Hunting or Rabbit hunting in the last 5 years, or even just shooting clay pigeons.

How many of your kids know who Rhode is? Do You?

Support the Shooting Sports for the next Generation (KIDS) if we Don't do you think the politicians will.
    Welcome to INGO and thank you for your post. There are many places to get your kids involved if you know where to look. Many are listed in other posts. As an instructor, trainer and ambassador to many outdoor conservation clubs in the midwest I am blessed with many junior shooters as students, family day or competitors on the range. You do however bring up a great point as you are seeing a changed gun culture today than an earlier time.

While there are many reasons to get into guns like Military, Police, Defense, Competition, Hunting, Plinking, Collecting, and Gun Capitalism and a few others, today we see a majority of dark cloud interest directly relating to how one can buy the ugliest meanest gadget heavy killing machine. And then promote it as an in your face to poke the liberal skunk. This has been a huge stopping point for parents (if the kids have any) to get their kid involved in shooting. With an association to the current video game culture, what parent would want to get his kids feet wet on guns? Parents lack a huge reasonability in raising the kids today along with social media pressure and a world that is falling apart by spreading a lot of hate.

While it is good to be in America and have these freedoms, they also come with responsibility . I am a big fan of one enjoying any type of firearm they may like. Lord knows, I have spent a lot of money across the gun spectrum playing with these things. With an NRA that is failing in structure, crime and the lack of prosecution, death merchants breaking gun laws all the time, accidents, abandoned guns, dropped guns in public, misuse, active shooters, bad politics, and a lack of good marksmanship, is it any wonder it is hard to get support for the youth shooting sports?

Having said all this, it boils down to the parents and how involved they are in raising their offspring. This is a current fail in my opinion. Our values as a society have lessened and that starts at home. We have never had a gun problem but a people problem. People that are living in a write off society. Easy Peasy Divorce, bad credit, drugs, work ethics and standards seem to be the norm. Nothing is working to help this. Take Indiana's phone law while driving. How's that working out? We cannot legislate responsibility.
    It has to come from the hard work and moral character of the family unit. Or we can just fire our employees with a ZOOM call.

The good news is, today is as good as it will ever be so if you want to teach and instill quality into a father/son relationship, get into a conservation club, get a few squirrels, rabbits and upland birds for eatin and have fun at the same time as developing a sportsman.

See you on the range
    Trapper

Last edited:

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Having said all this, it boils down to the parents and how involved they are in raising their offspring. This is a current fail in my opinion. Our values as a society have lessened and that starts at home. We have never had a gun problem but a people problem. People that are living in a write off society. Easy Peasy Divorce, bad credit, drugs, work ethics and standards seem to be the norm. Nothing is working to help this. Take Indiana's phone law while driving. How's that working out? We cannot legislate responsibility.
    It has to come from the hard work and moral character of the family unit. Or we can just fire our employees with a ZOOM call.

The good news is, today is as good as it will ever be so if you want to teach and instill quality into a father/son relationship, get into a conservation club, get a few squirrels, rabbits and upland birds for eatin and have fun at the same time as developing a sportsman.

See you on the range
    Trapper

This is what it all boils down to. Ultimately, the responsibility is on the parenting. If you want your children to be educated in firearms, then you must educate them. They will not get that knowledge from any other source, unless they are actively seeking it out on their own. Quite honestly, kids seeking that knowledge is not realistic. Education falls on the parent.

This is not just education about how to handle/use a firearm, but should also include education on the 2nd amendment, and firearms related law. Some lessons in the history of firearm development is also good, as that gives a greater understanding of the need for certain upgrades and developments.

Someone made a point in an earlier comment about "black guns with accessories" being the more preferable gun for modern buyers. To that, I will say this...

Riots had changed the way we look at gear and rifles. I live in a densely populated area. I have taken it upon myself to really educate myself on what I need to survive in this environment. I specifically got into the idea of the "urban fighting rifle". An AR15 with a carbine length gas system is ideal for my maneuverability situation, and area. I have a white light on my rifle for identification and clarity. I have a red dot optic on my rifle because I don't intend to engage with anything further than 75 yards-ish. The rifle is lightweight so I can easily transport, and focus on evasion rather than all out combat.

This post is getting a bit too long... But the point is, different situations call for different setups. I grew up in the country and my situation out there would have been fine with a scoped .308. My situation now calls for something a bit more maneuverable.

So yes, the "black guns" with all the accessories is more preferable at the moment, because of what the situation calls for.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    This is what it all boils down to. Ultimately, the responsibility is on the parenting. If you want your children to be educated in firearms, then you must educate them. They will not get that knowledge from any other source, unless they are actively seeking it out on their own. Quite honestly, kids seeking that knowledge is not realistic. Education falls on the parent.

This is not just education about how to handle/use a firearm, but should also include education on the 2nd amendment, and firearms related law. Some lessons in the history of firearm development is also good, as that gives a greater understanding of the need for certain upgrades and developments.

Someone made a point in an earlier comment about "black guns with accessories" being the more preferable gun for modern buyers. To that, I will say this...

Riots had changed the way we look at gear and rifles. I live in a densely populated area. I have taken it upon myself to really educate myself on what I need to survive in this environment. I specifically got into the idea of the "urban fighting rifle". An AR15 with a carbine length gas system is ideal for my maneuverability situation, and area. I have a white light on my rifle for identification and clarity. I have a red dot optic on my rifle because I don't intend to engage with anything further than 75 yards-ish. The rifle is lightweight so I can easily transport, and focus on evasion rather than all out combat.

This post is getting a bit too long... But the point is, different situations call for different setups. I grew up in the country and my situation out there would have been fine with a scoped .308. My situation now calls for something a bit more maneuverable.

So yes, the "black guns" with all the accessories is more preferable at the moment, because of what the situation calls for.
    Don’t let anyone judge you on your choice of equipment. No one but you is responsible for what you outfit yourself with. However, be sure of your skill set to use the equipment you chose.

We are in a great time to have the refined AR platform. And yes, there are many civil areas where it is the most efficient firearm along with professional applications.

What gets the attention of liberals is the misuse of said weaponry. While a revolver, bolt action, lever gun, or pistol’s misuse happens, it is not magnified as much as the media and libs draw negative attention to the AR or AK. Kids that grow up to be school shooters rarely use a flintlock.

I commend you for being confident in your choice of protection but can cite many many cases where a skill set and alternative choice in equipment may work better for the individual and circumstance.

Just because the masses are enjoying a saturated market of todays AR, it comes with responsibility. At the range the other day, two younger shooters were doing mag dumps at 5 yards. They each blew through about 90 rounds that is , when their guns would work. It seems to me that this kind of activity prevails a younger sportsman learning and enjoying marksmanship by plinking at targets and or game.

I own, shoot and employ and love my Bushmasters and support anyone to do the same. However, no matter what platform we choose, the OP was about getting youth involved. And that is why the gun culture needs to be careful with exposure to misuse.

See you on the range.

Trapper

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I commend you for being confident in your choice of protection but can cite many many cases where a skill set and alternative choice in equipment may work better for the individual and circumstance.

See you on the range.

Trapper
    This was exactly the point I was making though. The reason I brought up my urban fighting rifle was because it is the best choice for my circumstance.

As mentioned, evasion in my area is more important, which is why I chose the setup that I have.

Another thing to note about the younger generation, to which I would technically belong in, is what is being portrayed in video games and media. Children want to mimic their heros. Many of the older generation wanted to mimic their heroes as well, which is a big reason why milsurps are still popular.

Appreciate your knowledge.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Good topic.

Specifically, the OP is pointing out lack of participation in organized shooting activities.

There is a general lack of "joining" in our culture.

Folks have largely given up on institutions out of lack of trust of lack of time.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    One could theorize that This truth is supported by the higher medium age of gunowners left fighting with revolvers or 1911’s as they lack the convenience and ease of high cap service pistols. Along with older age retirees and burn out match directors that have tried to recruit younger peeps to pick up the slack in our shooting sports. We all know the hard work and sacrifice that it takes to be a good MD.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom