• ...and so much more!
  • lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Just a quick thread, hopefully a fun thread, to introduce ourselves.

Nelson & Co was born because I became a deputy and couldn't find an easy way to buy kit and uniforms without going all the way to Indy (that's not always cheap or easy when you live out here in the sticks). Gravel roads are great, unless you need something that UPS can't bring. Right?!

But the story goes a little farther back than that. It actually begins when my family and I finally settled back in Indiana after 15 years going post to post to post in the Army and then living in other states chasing a career. Well, once we came home to Indiana, my first position was as the Store Manager of the Anderson K-Mart store. After that, I spent a few years managing in the Amazon fulfillment centers around Indy.

Then, the story picks up steam when I finally finished graduate school, left working in the amazon.com fulfillment centers to work for 5.11 Tactical, and began traveling the country advising and building retail showrooms for 5.11 dealers (you know, this was supposed to be the dream job -- instead it was a zag when I should have zigged...). Not only did I find out that being on the road every day, every week, gets old fast; but I learned everything that uniform dealers do right and what they do wrong.

Fast forward to the day my family and I decided we didn't need to live in Indy anymore because I was traveling, bought a house in Putnam County and simplified our family life by working from home. The cherry on top was because we were finally settling down, I was able to fulfill a life-long dream of becoming a deputy. Sounds great, right? Work from home, use all my fancy big city learnin' to make a good living in my pajamas, and dress up to play police man on weekends. Living the dream. Well, it is kinda nice, most of the time, except one problem - I am a merchant in my soul. Always have been, always will be. I love solving the problem of what people need and then providing it to them. Love it.

The idea for Nelson & Co took shape about a year or so ago. We spent a few months with the paperwork and organizing. Then in December, we were real. In February the Website went 'live'. Through the spring, we did some agency sales, grew a little, and this summer, it was decided that it was time to make it go full speed or bust - we opened a show room in Greencastle. A small little place, but nice, clean, and easy to find. It might be taking every spare nickle I have and this might be the wrong time to be borrowing money, but I am having the time of my life building this company from scratch (maybe not so much my wife, but she'll come around)! This is how I intend to spend my life and I know we will do it right.

So, fellow INGOers, I and my one brand-new employee Tyler would appreciate it if any time you need something, just give us a glance. Take a look, ask if we can help, and if we can't be the best choice, we will thank you for letting us try. :) We will walk away from business that doesn't have us as the best choice; but for uniforms (duty and the range), equipment, tactical gear, and accessories, we think we have a good chance of being your best choice.

About us --> About Us ? Nelson & Co.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Great to read your story after learning of you through the Danner boot promotion. Best of luck to you, and I'll certainly keep your business in mind whenever looking for the kind of things you specialize in.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    We recently moved to Greencastle when I took a job with GPD. Very happy about having a uniform shop here in town! (Also getting a gun shop too, right across from the station :)

Where in town are you? I'll stop in and say hey... I know Tyler.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    We are installing the first store at 1011 Indianapolis Road -- right across the street from Hendershots. You'll see my county commission parked there most days during working hours. You can't miss us.

Top Bottom