• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Took my Enfield sporter to the range yesterday and shot a few of my hotter reloads. I only have two words. "Woo" and "Hoo". :) Also shot a few of my cowboy loads. I didn't take my chrono to compare them, but my "hot" ones were noticeably more stout recoil-wise, even though they were using 300 grain JHP vs. 405 grain cast lead in the cowboy loads. They all brought a big smile to my face. :D

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    View attachment 92724 View attachment 92725

Here's my 45/70 and 50/70. The 45 was made in Evansville and the 50 Greenfield. The 50 is serial number 009. :)

I was at Indy Arms Co. a few years back when a gentleman in the next stall over was shooting one of those 45/70s. He was kind enough to answer my questions about the gun when I asked, and even let me shoot a couple of rounds through it. I didn't know the name of the gun until I ran across Ian's video about it on Forgotten Weapons. Incredibly fun and cool shootin' iron.

dennismassie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    West Lafayette
    Don't own a 45-70, and not that you asked, but I do own a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45LC w/ 24" octagon barrel. Really enjoy shooting it.FWIW I have thought about getting a 45-70 though. Really like your photo.
    My 1894 Cowboy Limited is a real shooter. Shoots cowboy loads and big 325-grain deer loads with equal reliability.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had an 1895 JM with an aperture rear sight that would hold under 1 inch at 100 yards. I should have my ass kicked for selling that gun.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Had some great fun at the range all morning with a pair of my Marlins. Do we have any 45/70 shooters on here?

View attachment 92723

I've got a Marin that I picked up on clearance at Walmart a few years ago along with a rebate. I got it for a song, I think around $250! I haven't shot it much, but I love it. The thing kicks like a government mule on catnip! That's part of the fun of it. Big power! I've shot Hornady Leverevolution ammo through it exclusively because I picked up a bunch of boxes on sale then, too. I've probably got 40 rounds down the pipe. It makes you remember each one. I keep it around because I love a big lever gun and because I occasionally dream of a black bear hunt in Maine with it. Maybe one day.

My buddy has a Thompson single shot pistol in .45-70. I've shot about 4 rounds out of it. Makes every other pistol's recoil feel like a bb gun. His dad downed a big deer with it years ago. Dropped it where it stood. That thing sparks about an hour of conversation for every round fired!

What I'd really like to have is a Henry all weather or the equivalent Marlin. Ove the grey/stainless look with a matching scope. and grey laminate furniture. Kinda like the one Chris Pratt had in Jurassic World. I think his was a Marlin, but not sure.

Last edited:

mototc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Anyone have experience with the Chiappa 1886 takedown in .45-70 ?
    Saw one of these on a shelf earlier this week and quality looked nice.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have a Remlin 1895 guide gun in .45-70. Its actually a very nice rifle and I can put up good groups with it.

The day I bought it I didn't have any reloading stuff for .45-70 yet, so I picked up a box of 325gr Hornady Leverevolution at the shop where I bought the gun. Figured that way, at least I'd get to shoot it some, and I could save the brass to reload later. I took it out to the range to zero it, and I got through 12 rounds of that 20 round box before I was done. That stuff kicked like an angry mule! Then later i learned that that Hornady Leverevolution Brass is shorter than SAAMI spec, too, so it's not even a great choice for reloading.

These days I load 405gr powder-coated for it (I've found that changing bullet weights in this cartridge can have a drastic affect on point-of-impact), and have a nice trailboss plinking load, and a slightly hotter (at the high end of the "trapdoor" load data range) field load. I love the versatility of the round, and the handiness of the guide gun makes a great platform to shoot it from.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I put much thought into buying an original Springfield; but, I want a shooter. I decided I'd be better off with a replica. I just bought one of those Harrington and Richards reproductions, a Little Big Horn edition. It is a gorgeous rifle. I'll get some pictures up soon.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What I'd really like to have is a Henry all weather or the equivalent Marlin.

The new Henry's with side gates are already hitting the market. I saw one of the Case Hardened 45/70's with side gate on gunbroker and I was shocked they're already getting out. That will be my next 45/70 for sure.

Top Bottom