Who has the best deal on an RMR right now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks to all for the information.

It is for a hard-use shotgun. I sometimes forget that there is a distinction to be made between intended uses.

I dont mind a type 1 unit, but type 2 seem to only be a few tens more at the places i see. I'm also pretty sure I want the DI model, which seems to be harder to find.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks like $420 in the classifieds
    Yep, I'd give that gent a hollar. We need more classifieds activity.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yep, I'd give that gent a hollar. We need more classifieds activity.

Make sure you know what dot size you want. That's a decent deal worth jumping on. As long as it's the dot size you want.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Well, missed that one. Gonna have to be quicker. Waffled too long on whether I REALLY wanted dual illumination.
    Personally I absolutely do not want the dual illumination at all, reviews said it’s fine in good light but either not bright enough in sun or to bright in dark conditions. It does seem to perform slightly better for people with astigmatism though, with less bloom.
    Happy with my choice of a type 2 for my FN fnx. That being said, I like my Sig Romeo 1pro in my 320 even better.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Personally I would not trust the Swampfox on an EDC gun. I don't have first-hand experience with them, but just based on T&E reviews I've seen and read, the durability is not there. For a range toy or fun gun, sure.

In terms of brands that have been proven reliable and durable, the entire list is Trijicon RMR, Holosun, Aimpoint ACRO, Luepold Deltapoint Pro.
    Does the Sig not make the list?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Personally I absolutely do not want the dual illumination at all, reviews said it’s fine in good light but either not bright enough in sun or to bright in dark conditions. It does seem to perform slightly better for people with astigmatism though, with less bloom.
    Happy with my choice of a type 2 for my FN fnx. That being said, I like my Sig Romeo 1pro in my 320 even better.
    Less bloom with astigmatism is the primary reason to get it, for me. I have all kinds of differing experiences with different dots, even from the same manufacturers. I have heard similar tales of the effect being lessened with the fiber optic illumination version of the RMR.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Does the Sig not make the list?
    I don't know about the Pro, but you know I am an Aaron Cowan / Sage Dynamics fan boi and I trust his reviews. He does a shoulder height drop test onto concrete or brick every 500 rounds. He tested a Sig Romeo 1 a couple of years ago and it failed on the first drop test. The glass cracked to the point of making it unusable. Granted it's a sample size of one, but that's troubling.

He's tested multiple Trijicons and Holosuns that have survived multiple drops and tens of thousands of rounds. Even when they've cracked they've held zero and still projected the dot.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I don't know about the Pro, but you know I am an Aaron Cowan / Sage Dynamics fan boi and I trust his reviews. He does a shoulder height drop test onto concrete or brick every 500 rounds. He tested a Sig Romeo 1 a couple of years ago and it failed on the first drop test. The glass cracked to the point of making it unusable. Granted it's a sample size of one, but that's troubling.

He's tested multiple Trijicons and Holosuns that have survived multiple drops and tens of thousands of rounds. Even when they've cracked they've held zero and still projected the dot.

Good to know, thanks. And yea Aaron’s great, you chose well.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I've been heavily considering these Holosun dots with the EOTECH like reticles for the Suarez mount I got from the link you sent me. Seems like Holosun has moved right up next to the RMR.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I've been heavily considering these Holosun dots with the EOTECH like reticles for the Suarez mount I got from the link you sent me. Seems like Holosun has moved right up next to the RMR.
    Friend of mine is on his 3rd Holosun and not after a big round count.

Red dot class I took full of RMRs and only a Holosun had issues.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Friend of mine is on his 3rd Holosun and not after a big round count.

Red dot class I took full of RMRs and only a Holosun had issues.
    I'd like to hear more detail on this also.

I was always impressed in classes, when a gun went down and the operator just switched to their backup.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I paid just over $500 total for one in November from Midway. That was the best I could find at the time.

If you want the RMR, don't let other optics with lower prices lure you away. I had/still have a Holosun that I bought first to "test the waters" of red dots. I should have started with the RMR as I would have saved money in the long run.

Now i have a $300 Holosun I'll probably have to sell for less than $200.

Good news is that my slide mill fits both!
    If you decide to part with the Holosun PM me.. I much prefer the Holosun to an RMR:) Trijicon lost me a few years ago with horrid customer service on an RMR that went back twice and still didn't work.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you decide to part with the Holosun PM me.. I much prefer the Holosun to an RMR:) Trijicon lost me a few years ago with horrid customer service on an RMR that went back twice and still didn't work.
    Hello NHT! Thanks but wouldn't you know that someone on this thread also contacted me very shortly after I posted that and bought it. The first time I sold something on here without even posting a classy!

I think the Holosun's are fine. I was very happy with mine and it never hiccuped one bit. I would still own it, but I found that the 6.5 MOA dot on the RMR was sharper for my eyes. It could be because I can run the RMR at a lower setting and I had to crank up the smaller dot on the Holosun.

And just to be totally transparent, I like the looks of the RMR better. Not enough to spend the extra coin, but hey, aesthetics do play a part on the things I own. :)

Top Bottom