• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Finished up our fence and once I finish the chicken coop expansion I need to start looking in to installing a powered gate for the driveway. Currently I've got two lightweight 8' farm gates up which are fine but my own experiences have me not wanting to consider two openers for them and instead to go with a 16' cantilever gate. I worked for a billionaire and a good friend both have powered swing open gates and it seems like they're constantly fighting to keep them running.

I was talking with my BIL this afternoon and he and a friend of his have both had good luck with the powered swing open gates so I figured I'd ask for educated opinions here as part of my research. Anyone have powered swinging gates and had good luck with them?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But seriously, go with the chain driven sliding style that runs on big rollers. Those are the lowest maintenance, highest durability if you have the room.
    Second this. From experience, I can tell you the gates rotating to vertical from the inside corner are the least robust because of the force needed to be generated to swing the gate up from the corner of least mechanical advantage. The rotating in plane door-opening style are somewhat more reliable because they are swinging less weight but still doing so from the inside corner.The gates that trundle horizontally not only have to exert the least mechanical force but at full closure you can have them engage a horse-shoe style limiter that prevents ****ing with the gate very easily and the weight of the gate is supported by the rollers the entire cycle

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have a mighty mule single dealy 16’ gate working great as of today (knock on wood) going on 2 years now I believe and reasonably priced if it craps out…….. but if I had my choice and I was rich I’d go with the slider

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They have these at Marion County Fish and Game. No idea if they have much maintenance or trouble with them but they always work when I have been there.
    Worst problems are chain jumps off the sprocket, due to slack, and after people hit the gate couple of times it is no longer straight enough to open and close smoothly

Top Bottom