Who has Direct TV and what do you think ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    We have had cable (Spectrum formerly Brighthouse) for over 15 years. We also are using their internet service which has 70 Mbps download capability I am told. We're paying $180 a month for those two services and, quite frankly, even though we can afford it there's got to be a better option. I've checked and the internet speed can't be matched by anyone else for the same unbundled cost of $60 a month.

However, my wife and I have explored Direct TV and the price is considerably less. On the downside, we've heard the Direct TV service can easily be interrupted during storms (?). Anyone had Direct TV installed by AT & T installers and, if so, what do you think about their reliability ?

Thanks in advance

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We replaced AT&T U-Verse with Direct TV recently. The picture is amazing. Took some getting used to as the format is different. Our package is not all inclusive but it covers about everything we care to watch.

We occasionally have brief service interruptions but the storm has to be pretty intense.
    We had one control box go sour on us. Called service, they had a new one in our hands in 2 days.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I did. I ditched it the month my contract was up and wouldn't even consider using it again. Both at our apartment and our house, storms interrupted it pretty easily. They also did not feel compelled to honor their pricing, raising our rates $20 a month over the course of 2 years...and the contract is written so that you have to pay a cancellation fee even if they raise the rates during the term of your contract.

They can eat a big ol' wienie as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, we just use HULU and streaming services now.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    We had DirecTV for four years +. Every time we had a rain shower (never mind a thunder storm) it was LOS. Even a steady snow would cause LOS and invariably I'd have to climb a ladder with a broom and clean off the dish. We bought a Midland all purpose alert radio just as a backup so when it looked like a storm (rain/snow) was brewing we could at least be alerted.

It was the only choice we had for TV and as BBI stated they were always raising the rates, feuding with one channel or another over what they would pay them, dropping channels without notification and switching the channel lineup around at random. We lost The Weather Channel once for over two months, channel 6, 8, and 13 at least once a year. Never got a credit when that happened either. Never again.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Uverse was awesome
    They had been pushing hard to get people to switch to directv after att aquiered them and we finally gave in about a year ago now.
    ALL DISH SERVICES WILL BE INTERUPTED OR.PICTURE QUALITY AFFECTED DURING THICK CLOUD COVER AND STORMS OR HEAVY RAIN
    If they tell you different they lie. And they do lie.
    I still like att, better than any other service but the directv customer service division have some rude people, probably left overs from the merge.
    Like BBI said they will raise your rates and do it sneaky. Renegotiate your contract if possible. Also keep track of promotions and cancel that package when the promotion rate runs out. They play games with you and you have to learn to as well
    I've had agents tell me to do this.
    If your willing to be on hold for an hour or more several times a year it's ok.
    Still blows Comcast ****ty service and product away.
    My combined ATT bill is probably more Than most people's car or rent payment but for us it's worth it. We like movies and shows. We always buy movies with the on demand service. Also we have Amazon prime and Netflix which is recommend to anyone.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Our only broadband option here is Uverse, leaving our tv options as Uverse or DIRECTV, and DIRECTV was nearly half the price for the same channels.

We've been happy enough with DTV, though it is spotty in any significant rain. Usually if weather is bad, we will catch up on the DVR or watch something on-demand which uses the broadband instead of satellite.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    We will never go back to Directtv. The picture was constantly freezing or going out with the slightest hint of rain. If it was windy, that would also affect it. The guy also said the new dish technology would never have snow or ice stick to it...FALSE! The bill also started out somewhere around $129/month for tv and internet, by the time the 2 years was up, the bill was $240+. We couldn't get rid of it fast enough when the contract was up.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I can't say that if Dtv were the only option that I'd use it because it is our only option and we ARENT using it. We've had it on and off for over 20 years and shut it off for the final time about 2 years ago. All of the reasons stated above are fact! Their most egregious act upon us occurred when we got home one night and there was no signal. We went thru all of the troubleshooting features displayed on the set and then called the 800 number. They told us that our account had been closed because the package we had been subscribed to for years was no longer available so they just shut us off. In order for us to get the approximate programming we had before it was going to cost us an additional $40/month, we told them to stick it where the satellite don't reach.

It's funny now when we are out somewhere and see a kiosk I intentionally make eye contact with the sales people so they will approach us. As they go thru their spiel we keep walking and tell them two words: "Cord Cutter". It shuts them up immediately and we smile and say thank you. I'm guessing that "cord cutters" are seriously starting to gouge into their bottom line and they realize it so perhaps one of these days they'll make some drastic changes to their business model and their customer service!

Hey! It could happen!!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've never been on Direct but I've been a Dish customer for over 13 years now. It and the other satellite services are all that is available out where I live. (I think they're all bouncing off the same bird anyway). We also have their internet service. BEWARE on the internet service, they all have a rather low data limits. I saw where Dish has a promotion out for a whopping 30gb/mo now. Before it was for only 15gb/mo. If you're a streaming customer, forget about it. In fact, even if you watch the occasional Youtube video, don't get your hopes up for much--expect buffering...more than you'd like. The good side, compared to cell phone internet providers is, at least they don't ding you for additional data when you go over...but they will choke your speed down--a lot.

I'm ok with the tv service. Yeah, it'll drop out when the storms roll through but they generally have to be a decent size and it usually doesn't last all that long.

All said, if cable were available out here, I'd switch. If/when broadband (fiber or wireless) ever makes it out here, I'll switch. It's good enough for country living but if I had access to non-data capped internet I wouldn't even think about satellite.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When our Uverse went away, I refused to go to Direct TV. For one thing, I don't want a dish on my house (or anywhere on my property for that matter). For another, I don't want to deal with weather outages. I was forced to go with Comcast and it sucks mightily. No faster than DSL (Uverse) and much less reliable. I have to reboot my main gateway at least once a week and sometimes more. And I still don't understand why they can violate the terms of the contract (dropping channels, raising prices, etc.) but we have to pay a penalty if WE want out of the contract. I miss Uverse. Had it for probably 10 or 15 years and have had more troubles per month with Comcast than I did the entire time I had Uverse.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I ditched satellite tv and went with Sing TV. It has all the channels I watched and very few that I don't. There's no contract either. I have the blue starter package which is $25/month and it has everything I need, but you can add channels as well. I have pretty crappy dsl internet where I live out in the sticks and it still streams just fine.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    We have had cable (Spectrum formerly Brighthouse) for over 15 years. We also are using their internet service which has 70 Mbps download capability I am told. We're paying $180 a month for those two services and, quite frankly, even though we can afford it there's got to be a better option. I've checked and the internet speed can't be matched by anyone else for the same unbundled cost of $60 a month.

However, my wife and I have explored Direct TV and the price is considerably less. On the downside, we've heard the Direct TV service can easily be interrupted during storms (?). Anyone had Direct TV installed by AT & T installers and, if so, what do you think about their reliability ?

Thanks in advance

Directv pricing may start out low but will go up during your contract. I have had it for years and am happy with the service. I have very limited options where I live so it is about the only real choice.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I ditched satellite tv and went with Sing TV. It has all the channels I watched and very few that I don't. There's no contract either. I have the blue starter package which is $25/month and it has everything I need, but you can add channels as well. I have pretty crappy dsl internet where I live out in the sticks and it still streams just fine.

Out of curiosity, are you getting HD quality pictures with your Sling + "crappy" DSL internet?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I find Sling's quality to be on par with Netflix. I can go for weeks without any issues and then a day where it just seems to struggle. Slow to load, freezing etc. things I expect from a streaming service. But for $20 and the amount it's used (a few hours a week), I'm happy with Sling.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Directv pricing may start out low but will go up during your contract. I have had it for years and am happy with the service. I have very limited options where I live so it is about the only real choice.

We were getting the same price increases from AT&T. Every contract the price would slip north of where it started.
    Also the picture was streaming at 780. Dish is at 1080 and the differences is amazing.
    Yes, we get some interruptions if it gets ugly outside but it has to get ugly.
    Every cable service exists to extract every dime it can from the customer base. Hell my cell package has to be watched like a hawk.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I agree with th mouse, all the providers raise prices. I have been with Direct TV for 5-6 years now and it rarely goes out, only when there is a significant storm. When I first got their service it would go out frequently and I called to complain. They sent a different tech out and he adjusted the dish, ever since it very rarely goes out. The only reason I ever decided on Direct TV was that they were/are the only option for the NFL package. I got suckered. I am a Bears fan and wanted all the games but over the last few years I noticed that the majority of Bears games are on local TV. If the wife would let me I would go back to streaming services and an antenna.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Thanks for all the comments. I did talk to an AT&T Direct TV installer. He said the installers for Direct TV before AT&T acquired worked on piece rate - meaning they got paid for how many services they installed. The AT&T installer said they get paid by the hour so it doesn't matter how much time they take - they'll stay all day if that's what it takes to get the installation properly done.

I am curious about the comments from folks who are saying that Direct TV rates DURING the contract period. I may be naive, but I guess I don't understand how they could raise the price if a contract was in place. I can understand if the price for service went up after the (initial) contract since it is a promotional rate - but not how the rate could be raised during the initial period.

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    Thanks for all the comments. I did talk to an AT&T Direct TV installer. He said the installers for Direct TV before AT&T acquired worked on piece rate - meaning they got paid for how many services they installed. The AT&T installer said they get paid by the hour so it doesn't matter how much time they take - they'll stay all day if that's what it takes to get the installation properly done.

I am curious about the comments from folks who are saying that Direct TV rates DURING the contract period. I may be naive, but I guess I don't understand how they could raise the price if a contract was in place. I can understand if the price for service went up after the (initial) contract since it is a promotional rate - but not how the rate could be raised during the initial period.

Watch the contract pricing language closely. Some of the discounts they are offering may only be for the first 6 or 12 months of your service. After that, price goes up. I know that going in but still sucks when the increase happens.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Watch the contract pricing language closely. Some of the discounts they are offering may only be for the first 6 or 12 months of your service. After that, price goes up. I know that going in but still sucks when the increase happens.

This ^^^^ us how they do it. I know people that call them every year or so, when the promotions run out, and threaten to switch if they don't cut them a deal. I guess they usually do but it's a crappy way of doing business.

Top Bottom