• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spring1898

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 13, 2021
    North of Galveston
    Bloke on the range had a good video on rim lock or lack there of. Personally I haven't had any issue with it, but he goes in depth quite a bit.

Lot of engineering it seems went into the design, so not sure if the issues you have are faulty mags, brass, bullets, or clips.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One thing I haven't been able to try is actual blued British charger clips. Almost all the ones on the market now have that awful parkerizing. You can sand them and smooth them but they're still pretty terrible.
    Yeah, I've never had any luck with them either. I just load the single rounds. As long as you push each one to the rear as you're loading, it's not too hard to avoid rim lock that way.

Spring1898

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 13, 2021
    North of Galveston
    Just a question, if you get rim lock does it actually jam your gun?
    Because the brass was designed for that not to be an issue. Also does pushing down on the rounds once loaded, and then letting them spring back up not fix the rim lock in your case?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just a question, if you get rim lock does it actually jam your gun?
    Because the brass was designed for that not to be an issue. Also does pushing down on the rounds once loaded, and then letting them spring back up not fix the rim lock in your case?
    Rim lock will keep the top round from chambering, so in that regard I guess you could say it jams it, but it can be corrected fairly easily unless you were really slamming it home. The thing that causes it is when the rim of the top round gets behind the rim of the round just below it, so just pushing down and letting up won't necessarily fix it.

As I mentioned above, if you load the rounds by starting them slightly forward in the magazine and sliding them back as you push them down, it usually keeps it from happening. With rimless cartridges, just pushing the rounds straight down isn't an issue, but it can be with the rimmed cartridges.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not really British, but the bottom gun in this pair is a Dutch Hembrug M95 carbine, originally chambered in 6.5x53R (as is the top Dutch rifle in the pic). The bottom one is an Indonesian version converted to .303 Brit. After WWII, Indonesia (former Dutch colony) had a bunch of these rifles and they also had a bunch of .303 ammo, so they re-chambered them for 7.7 (.303) and added the muzzle brake. It's fun to shoot, but it will get your attention, being so small (even smaller and lighter than the Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine).

The original 6.5x53R ammo is hard to find, but interestingly enough, when you do, it's usually made from .303 Brit brass. I ordered a bunch of the brass and loaded up some rounds for 2 other fellow INGOers for their Dutch rifles and it was all headstamped .303.

1621200106769.png

A little additional information:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have owned many Enfields, 'have' being the operative word here. I found my Ishapore 2A1 to be a superior shooter to all the Enfields I have had.

Now, I never mic'd the barrels or tuned the furniture on any of them but, as I say, the Ishapore could have easily had the same issues but performed heads and shoulders above the rest.

Right now, the only English gun I have is a BSA Super Sport 5 mag fed .22 bolt action. Now it IS a shooter...

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Have a nice Ishapore 308. Can’t decide if I want to let it go as it is an oddball for what I like but it‘s a neat rifle. I have never shot it. View attachment 140448 View attachment 140447
    I have only shot the German plastic 7.62x51mm through mine and I love it.

Someone replaced the characteristic aluminum butt plate on yours but other than that mine is a jungle conversion just like yours.

I also had a standard configuration but sold it to finance another project.

The German plastic ammo only cost me $9.00 per box of 50 rounds, so I can shoot frequently and often...

On a 'touchy' note, your sling is on backwards.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Someone replaced the characteristic aluminum butt plate on yours but other than that mine is a jungle conversion just like yours.

On a 'touchy' note, your sling is on backwards.
    Got this from a 70+ yo Marine who did the butt plate and sling. Now I can tell him I have proof he’s half bass ackwards

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When I saw the thread title I immediately forgot that this was a firearm forum. I like British stuff, hence my Jag F-Type.

full

But since this is a firearm site, my "British Stuff":

full

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    When I saw the thread title I immediately forgot that this was a firearm forum. I like British stuff, hence my Jag F-Type.

full

But since this is a firearm site, my "British Stuff":

full
    The top picture, isn’t that made by an Indian company?

Top Bottom