• ...and so much more!
  • SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    We have a large in-ground one. Opened in April 11, just in time for weather to suck again.

I was in it at midnight last night after work. Found a FB group for DIY pool maintenance that is very helpful.

Get a good test kit with actual chemicals, not Dip Sticks. I am paying someone for pool maintenance now but may go my own way soon as market tanks.
    Yes don't be afraid of DIY maintenance. Many tips on line,
    and yes as Doc said use a good test kit and chemicals.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Ours is a 15` x 30` x 5` salt water . We literally do not add any chemicals the whole summer . I take a sample to a pool shop when I first open and add whatever they say , then for whatever reasons , it always stays in check . I always add a new "Algae Ball " in the pump basket every year .........I am a fan of the Salt Water system . Year 5 for this one .
    I have had other Chlorine pools that were nothing but a constant battle to keep in check and a $$ pit .
    I also took care of Hotel Pools back in the days that had Bromine vs chlorine and were nothing but constant work to keep balanced .

IMG_6083.JPG

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Ours is a 15` x 30` x 5` salt water . We literally do not add any chemicals the whole summer . I take a sample to a pool shop when I first open and add whatever they say , then for whatever reasons , it always stays in check . I always add a new "Algae Ball " in the pump basket every year .........I am a fan of the Salt Water system . Year 5 for this one .
    I have had other Chlorine pools that were nothing but a constant battle to keep in check and a $$ pit .
    I also took care of Hotel Pools back in the days that had Bromine vs chlorine and were nothing but constant work to keep balanced .

View attachment 200414
    Thai is nice! My home was built in 1948 I found the paper work when pool was put in dated 1957 mine is more of a cement pond.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Year #2 on our new pool. 18x33 above ground.

They had to redo the liner end of season last year cause there were big divots and trails that you could roll an ankle in.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

View attachment 200414
    If I were to have a pool, I think salt water is the way I'd go too. I can't stand to swim in chlorinated water. DoggyMama thinks I'm weird but I swam in them a lot when I was a kid. I remember having red, burning eyes after a day at the pool. Now I prefer lake water.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We’ve had a pool as long as I’ve lived here (18 years), and my wife had it installed about 5 years before we got together. It’s a 22’ by 5 feet deep. I only hate it in late April and mid October when we open and close it. Wife and daughter spend all summer in it, I might get in for a total of an hour all year. I’m more of an indoorsy type when it’s hot outside.

Wife handles most of the upkeep, although I did have to install a new pump a few weeks ago, I think that’s probably the third one I’ve had to buy in all these years. As long as the chemical cartridge is kept up with, we’ve never had trouble getting the water right.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Thai is nice! My home was built in 1948 I found the paper work when pool was put in dated 1957 mine is more of a cement pond.
    I remember the cement pond from the Beverly hillbillies. Nice.

Personally o think of a pool and horses are more work than I want. The pool just being water storage and the horse transport. Guess that is From being a lifeguard and cleaning pool non stop from the wonderful paying guess we had. Shoveling horse barns as a kid.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Took cover off over a week ago and got it going. Water temp was 52. Wife bought it 4 years ago and we put it up ourselves, 21'. Then put up a deck around it. She takes care of all the up keep and I just swim and stain the deck when it needs it. I swam last Monday water temp 62. Then Tuesday it was 68, 74 on Wednesday, and been around 78 since and swimming everyday. Put a solar cover on the other day and we run about 200' of hose in the sunshine and have another pump that circulates, just got that going yesterday. After the cool off I will put the hose on our shed roof, really helps warming up the water. Its been great all week to work outside in the heat and jump in. Wife likes it best when it gets in the upper 80's but that won't be for awhile yet. Think 94 is the record couple years ago. Pool cost was $3000 and was against it because I had to do most of the work putting it up....but its been well worth it, and was her $$$...lol. I swim almost every day. This is the record for getting in, May 10th. Usually its memorial day and even then its pretty cold. Pool was 75 this morning and hoping it hits 80....getting ready to go in now! And this is 100 miles North of Indy. DSC03491.JPG

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    If I were to have a pool, I think salt water is the way I'd go too. I can't stand to swim in chlorinated water. DoggyMama thinks I'm weird but I swam in them a lot when I was a kid. I remember having red, burning eyes after a day at the pool. Now I prefer lake water.
    Thats too much chlorine then. Salt water makes its own chlorine. We have had our chlorine pool 4 years and no burning eyes. Love lake water as I grew up on lake and hated the public pools also, I could smell and feel the chlorine burning my eyes.....If you get your own you will be able to monitor it yourself to your liking.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    See, I dunno. With my luck, and the way frogs start invading my pool cover if I leave it on a week or so too long, I’d be afraid sharks and jellyfish would be infesting my pool if I did salt water.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thats too much chlorine then. Salt water makes its own chlorine. We have had our chlorine pool 4 years and no burning eyes. Love lake water as I grew up on lake and hated the public pools also, I could smell and feel the chlorine burning my eyes.....If you get your own you will be able to monitor it yourself to your liking.
    It was always public pools when I was a kid, so I imagine they kept them pretty heavily chlorinated. But we were always diving for stuff (no mask or goggles, just open eyes), so after several hours of that my eyes were pretty fried.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    27' I open and close, wife takes care off outside of that unless there's an issue. Opened Thursday. Haven't turned on the heater yet...
    Built the deck when covid started.

Attachments

• IMG_5218.jpg
      IMG_5218.jpg
      743.7 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_3630.jpg
      IMG_3630.jpg
      626.2 KB · Views: 7
    Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I do not have a pool. And right now, I most certainly do not want a pool. Above-ground, in-ground, half & half, swim spa, nothin'. I don't want it.

BUT - when I win the lottery I'll have a niiiiice one. Of course, I'll also have an awesome lazy river designed and installed on my acreage, too.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Got a "free" spa a few years back.
    Had to wired it up and get controls for it.
    1st year pump housings need replaced.
    2nd one pump goes out, and needs replaced.
    3rd year onward, tracking down cracks and leaks.
    Plus the yearly spike in my water bill, chemicals etc.
    Now the dog uses it more than my wife and I.
    Not sure if I am going to bother this year.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    We have a large in-ground one. Opened in April 11, just in time for weather to suck again.

I was in it at midnight last night after work. Found a FB group for DIY pool maintenance that is very helpful.

Get a good test kit with actual chemicals, not Dip Sticks. I am paying someone for pool maintenance now but may go my own way soon as market tanks.

We're getting a pool this year. I'm not thrilled about it, because I will be the one doing all the maintenance. Can you please share the FB group? I'm sure I will need all the advice I can get.

Top Bottom