• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    So something has to be stated as being specifically discriminatory before you believe there’s discrimination? You’re kidding right? Especially after the passing of legislation meant to prevent such things.
    Think about this for a minute
    Joe Biden was in office passing, supporting said legislation.... And now he’s president.
    I have yet to hear him apologize for failed ag policies that you are telling me destroyed black family farm while white family farms thrived. Must be Trumps fault

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    WxCWmWahK_CU4Q6EIBhR_0PBVhAIpBTbpEsC86_X_3M.png

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    So something has to be stated as being specifically discriminatory before you believe there’s discrimination? You’re kidding right? Especially after the passing of legislation meant to prevent such things.
    Something has to be actually discriminatory before I believe there is discrimination.

For all I know, those numbers might go along with the percentages of racial makeup of qualifying applicants or there might be a ton of other reasons for things to turn out like that. It is because of my general ignorance of the topic that I qualified my statement.

If 99.4% of a stimulus went to a group that makes up 95% of the possible stimulus candidates, that doesn't scream foul play to me, but I never studied statistics, so a smarter person might view it differently.

If I had a million marbles in a container and 95% were white, if I drew 100 marbles, I would not be surprised if they were all white.

Like I said, I never studied statistics, maybe it should surprise me if I drew all white in that instance.

For me, racial discrimination requires discrimination based on race, not just a disparity in results. I know that other people feel differently about that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What's the current percentage of full fledged qualifying black owned farms/farmers, to white ones?
    Sorry it's WaPo, but looking for a source that will cause Kut less angst. Consider wiping your keyboard down with alcohol after you read the post

Of the 3.4 million farmers in the United States today, only 45,000 are Black, according to the USDA, down from 1 million a century ago. Black farmland ownership peaked in 1910 at 16 to 19 million acres, about 14 percent of total agricultural land, according to the Census of Agriculture. A century later, 90 percent of that land had been lost. White farmers now account for 98 percent of the acres, according to USDA data
    45000 ÷ 3400000 = 0.0132 or about 1.32%. They represented, apparently, only 0.6% of those included in the Trump relief plan for farmers hurt by the Chinese response to his tariffs by retaliating against US agriculture. Overlooking, for the moment, that the REAL problem was that it was done by Trump; what percentage of black farmers do you think were involved in exporting soybeans and other commodities to the Chinese? Because it would take significantly more than 50% of them in order to call into question that 0.6% representation rate as recipients of the program

AP19179752415924-557x840.jpg

Using information in this graphic from AP, I can calculate that slightly more than 1.01 million farmers received tariff relief payments

Now, remembering that 3.4 million total farmers figure, 1.01 ÷ 3.4 = 0.297 or just under 30% of total farmers participated. So if black farmers make up 1.32% of all farmers (calculated earlier) and 30% of all farmers received payments for tariff relief , than all things being equal one would expect 1.32 x 0.297 = 0.39 percent of black farmers would have received tariff subsidies. So they're actually OVER represented by a factor of more than 1.5:1

So where's the racism hiding, again?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Sorry it's WaPo, but looking for a source that will cause Kut less angst. Consider wiping your keyboard down with alcohol after you read the post

45000 ÷ 3400000 = 0.0132 or about 1.32%. They represented, apparently, only 0.6% of those included in the Trump relief plan for farmers hurt by the Chinese response to his tariffs by retaliating against US agriculture. Overlooking, for the moment, that the REAL problem was that it was done by Trump; what percentage of black farmers do you think were involved in exporting soybeans and other commodities to the Chinese? Because it would take significantly more than 50% of them in order to call into question that 0.6% representation rate as recipients of the program

View attachment 138430

Using information in this graphic from AP, I can calculate that slightly more than 1.01 million farmers received tariff relief payments

Now, remembering that 3.4 million total farmers figure, 1.01 ÷ 3.4 = 0.297 or just under 30% of total farmers participated. So if black farmers make up 1.32% of all farmers (calculated earlier) and 30% of all farmers received payments for tariff relief , than all things being equal one would expect 1.32 x 0.297 = 0.39 percent of black farmers would have received tariff subsidies. So they're actually OVER represented by a factor of more than 1.5:1

Stop bringing in facts you racist bigot. Those don’t matter. FEELiNGs matter

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    95% to 1.4% respectively.

So less than a percent of farmers might have been unfairly treated... and this is somehow a big deal...?

I wonder what percentage of citizens are unfairly treated by the tax code every year for not crossing the right T or dotting the right I.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

View attachment 138430

The breakdown isn't necessarily even that simple.

Not all farmers farm soybeans, and as you can see from the chart that group made up the lion's share of the money paid out. Does dairy include cattle farmers? I'd guess not since most of the prime ranch country doesn't show up in the list of states. What's the geographical breakdown of farmers by race? Is it an even distribution, or do the areas that grow soybeans tend toward certain demographics?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    So less than a percent of farmers might have been unfairly treated... and this is somehow a big deal...?

I wonder what percentage of citizens are unfairly treated by the tax code every year for not crossing the right T or dotting the right I.
    Wrong is wrong and should be corrected. One farmer getting screwed by .gov is one too many.

The tax code is a shakedown operation, plain and simple.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The breakdown isn't necessarily even that simple.

Not all farmers farm soybeans, and as you can see from the chart that group made up the lion's share of the money paid out. Does dairy include cattle farmers? I'd guess not since most of the prime ranch country doesn't show up in the list of states. What's the geographical breakdown of farmers by race? Is it an even distribution, or do the areas that grow soybeans tend toward certain demographics?
    IIRC while searching for that data, I saw a density map for black owned farms and they were most densely concentrated from east Texas across LA, MS,AL, GA and NW florida

Top Bottom