• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ken sold me with "Get over the John Wick :poop:, OK? That's a movie, it's a fantasy." :)

I'm still watching the rest, but I thought I'd go ahead and share...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oh my, should have watched the whole video first.

The last ready position mentioned is seldom taught, but it's the one I use and will preach about whenever asked.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Good stuff from Hack. Covers most of the presentations. My opinion is the finger goes on the frame, not up on the slide but that is just me.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’m a fan of that last position too. It’s practical from a liability standpoint, but it’s also how many of us practice with a shot timer. And if we end up in that scenario where we get a fast draw, draw a bead on bad guy and don’t decide to shoot quite yet, we still have our gun on bad guy.
    I’m in agreement with TJ in that finger not on the trigger doesn’t mean it has to be on the slide. All in how you practice though.
    I will say I bet I’m in the minority though when it comes to sweeping people. If bad guy needs shot, innocents are going to be swept more than likely.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't know why you'd have to sweep anyone, if you draw directly into the target?

I'm not saying that there is no stopping of firing from the draw, but the intention is to draw when it's go time. See as much of the front sight as needed, then trigger time.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I don't know why you'd have to sweep anyone, if you draw directly into the target?

I'm not saying that there is no stopping of firing from the draw, but the intention is to draw when it's go time. See as much of the front sight as needed, then trigger time.
    The video is about some of the ready presentations that one may want to think through for the application. Ken certainly does not cover all of them and preparing this thought process is about as useless as planning how you would spend your money if you won the lottery.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

Well, maybe. Or maybe it’s negotiation time, get the perp to run or the hostage holder to drop the knife, whatever.
    As far as sweeping, I won’t assume there’s no one between me and bg. That’s just how I think about it. If you’re not comfortable sweeping someone, in my mind it is really going to delay/hamper a positive outcome.

TJ is right to some degree, there’s a million ways it could play out and the chances of you picking the right numbers ahead of time are slim.
    But I don’t think it can hurt to plan, it’s why we run scenarios at the range.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think sweeping is different than someone being in the path of your target. You are totally conscious of something being in the path of your target vs your muzzle covering things in directions you never intended to shoot.

Too often those that justify sweeping are those who are concerning to be around while gun handling. :twocents:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think I might have to practice with that "high temple"; making sure the pistol is tucked in tight and not waving around.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I think sweeping is different than someone being in the path of your target. You are totally conscious of something being in the path of your target vs your muzzle covering things in directions you never intended to shoot.

Too often those that justify sweeping are those who are concerning to be around while gun handling. :twocents:
    Gotcha. Semantics. I understand where you’re coming from and think those at good distinctions.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    All of these positions have a place. Practicing to have fluid gun handling and good gun and muzzle awareness while stressed, task loaded, and attention is diverted is maybe more important than practicing from any particular ready position.

I'm a fan of keeping as much gun handling as possible inside (or close to) the well-engrained path of my draw stroke.

Like BW, I think using the holster has a lot of merit.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I was taught and practice more like the video of Dave Spaulding. Low ready (45ish downward) and side ready close to holster, for the reasons mentioned plus discretion. The holster ready thing of course makes sense, but once the pistol is out/used you don't want to be trying to get it right back in the holster. Side ready for close contact/also discretion. You can possibly get it out and get it ready with out drawing attention. Low ready after gun use, then to side ready, then holster if need be.

High ready and temple make sense for special training, but that's not me. My problem with this being a primary technique is you possibly have to flag people to get it into these positions, think second floor or balcony. And it draws a lot of attention. I'm not on a swat team.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Did he say "part of the draw stroke"?

I will have to disagree on the speed rock concept being a good practice.
    I was going to try to stay out of this discussion. The two videos are two fantastic instructors so I will defer to their wisdom. But here is my take:

1) Experience influences opinions. Depending on a persons background they will have a strong opinion of what constitutes a proper ready position. Having spent time with some former SWAT type guys I can say they like the high ready positions. Somebody with a background in dignitary protection might favor a temple index/gun up. Somebody who has spent a lot of time with regular street cops, soldiers or the general public will favor the traditional guard/low ready.

2) there is no right or wrong. Maybe sum it up as safe or unsafe.

3) I only know Spaulding from his books or videos. But his background is in Kinesiology. He is big on the idea of efficiency in movement.

4) Hackathorn has probably seen it all, relived it, killed it and seen it again. Ha ha ha

5) I tend to default to the idea of keeping my pistol pointed towards the ground. It just seems to be the safest place to point it in most situations. For most of us the classic low ready or something similar will work a lot of the time. I like SUL. I have to think about High Ready. It is fast for me but not something I use automatically as a default. Just can’t get my head wrapped around gun high.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Good stuff from Hack. Covers most of the presentations. My opinion is the finger goes on the frame, not up on the slide but that is just me.
    Keeping it UP and off is a best practice due to sympathetic reflex.

I trained with all of these positions and most prefer sul. I understand some of the benefits of temple index but boy it feels weird but it is a good option to use if the situation calls for it.

Pfcmaurx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Jeffersonville
    Ken sold me with "Get over the John Wick :poop:, OK? That's a movie, it's a fantasy." :)

I'm still watching the rest, but I thought I'd go ahead and share...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to use a compressed low ready as it works best with the hand to hand and retention drills that I utilize but other positions are good as well. Depends on what environment you are using the gun in.

Top Bottom