• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I hate flying on the small regional jets that are popular with the airlines today. When I do get on a larger plane, it's never bigger than a 737.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Here is one marketed to the consumer as the safest airplane in the sky.
    View attachment 128257
    Had no rudder pedals. My Father tried flying one and hated it.

Another airplane that both my Father and I disliked was the Piper Tri Pacer. It was short-coupled between the wing and tail, which made it twitchy in flight. It was also harder to see out of, than a Cessna 150 or Piper Cub.
    View attachment 128258
    I love ercoupes

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    This^

The fork tailed doctor killer was more a result of the people who flew them rather than the aircraft itself. Transitioning quickly to fast complex planes with retractable gear from a trainer isn't a good idea.

The Cirrus SR22 is the modern fork-tailed doctor killer...except the chute has meant fewer fatalities.

More money than experience will ALWAYS be an issue for some.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    While I don't hate any specific aircraft, I have noticed a huge uptick in traffic over the last few weeks. It has been a very peaceful year of 'rona, living near the landing flight path of Terry Airport, and a lot of jets lately which we just hadn't heard.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the B-52, and the F-15 will do the fly overs for the retirements of the F-35, and the F-22, and the B-2, and the Bone....JMHO. The reason the F-111 didn't work well for the Navy was that the wheel width was such that it wouldn't work on an aircraft carrier, the plane could tip over....much like Guam if too many aircraft were to land on it.....

Well, it might be argued that the 52 and 15 were built at the pinnacle of development for their airframes.
    Upgrades to avionics and weapons can be done, but the airframes don't change that much.

The 35, 22, 2 (and 117) were built for "stealth", and are in the infancy of their respective technologies. Tech that changes fast.

Sort of like the Devastator mentioned earlier. The Devastator's fault, was aging when airplanes were going through some tech revolutions. When it was built, it wasn't that bad. But it couldn't keep up, and we weren't willing to spend the money between wars.

And it's not just airplanes.
    The George Washington class SSBN (ballistic missile sub, called "boomers") was basically a Skipjack class, that had been lengthened and modified to add a missile compartment to launch ballistic missiles.
    Only 4 were built, and a mere year later, those 4 boats were relics.
    They were done in by the Ethan Allen Class subs (which is the class I was on, SSBN-611). The Allens were built up from the ground up as a boomer, and incorporated "lessons learned" from the GW class.
    And 2 years later, the Allens were obsolete and replaced by the Benjamin Franklin class.
    Of course, spending that much money, those boats were not just thrown away.
    Just as obsolete airframes as the Devastator were not thrown away.
    You can't really justify that in Peacetime.
    And sometimes, you can't afford it in Wartime. You go with what you got.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Or like one of these guys?

View attachment 128296

Only time I have been truly airsick was flying in one of these from Hartford to Philadelphia.
    OK I have been rolling with this thread as nothing came to mind until this post. Flying short hop Turbo-Props into Indy from Detroit and Ohare. Flying the red eye in from Cali or points south and landing in those 2 terminals and riding one of these mix-masters back and you luggage not making the plane.....:xmad:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know a man who lost his wife on American Eagle Flight 4184 (ATR 72 crash near Roselawn). The control surfaces iced up and caused a moment reversal on the control columns. The pilots, with their physical strength only via cable and pulley connection to the control surfaces, fought valiantly to save the flight but ultimately failed after recovering from several unusual attitudes including being completely inverted. I can’t imagine how horrifying it must have been to be on board.

I don’t hate the ATR 72, the Beechcraft Baron 58 (I lost my aunt, uncle and two friends in one when it iced up), the Cirrus SR22 (I lost a flight instructor in one due to hypoxia incapacitation and uncontrolled descent into terrain upon fuel depletion) nor the Space Shuttle for that matter. Successful flight is only a temporary victory over gravity and human error and mechanical failure don’t happen to gravity.

Put put me in the middle seat between two morbidly obese people and I’ll hate that plane for a day though.

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Or like one of these guys?

View attachment 128296

Only time I have been truly airsick was flying in one of these from Hartford to Philadelphia.
    You are spot on. I flew on those turbo props a lot back in the 80's when I was frequently traveling on business. It's been so long that I put them out of my memory. The engine/prop noise was a terrible complement to the air sickness. They were the worst by far.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This one tops my list. The ATR 72. It likes to roll over and then dive into the dirt.
    View attachment 128297
    I second the ATR. The only airplane I've flown on where the stewardess screamed and then quit her job as soon as the plane landed.

The high wing and narrow wheelbase made those things bob and weave on even no wind landings. I hated getting ticketed to fly on one of those things.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Passengers tend to hate turboprops, but the reality is they are 1. safe and 2. very economical to operate compared to regional jets or even small narrowbodies on shorter routes. Biggest downside as a pax, to me, isn't the whirling thing out the window but being down in the weather moreso than a turbofan.

My least favorite airliner is a E145; cabin is too small and I find the CRJ family more comfortable. I flew the CRJ, its a fine airplane though it always sounds like a bomb went off when you lower the landing gear. Honorable mention to the last row of any DC9-series airplane, up to and including the MD90 and 717...didn't find the 727 quite *that* unenjoyable.

The best domestic economy passenger experience I've had was on a new Delta A321; that was very comfortable.

The most annoying aircraft to hear is a Cessna 337 Skymaster, followed closely by any pistol twin where the PIC doesn't care to sync the props.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My number one hated aircraft...

View attachment 128163
    View attachment 128164
    F-111A and EF-111A.

After working on F-4s and A-10s, this pig was the reason I got off active duty and moved the Air Reserve Technician program. Powered by the worst engine P&W ever built.
    I personally know a retired 'vark pilot. 1971-1997. Retired, of course. Flight commander, squad commander, group commander. Actual combat experience in the F and EF variants.

He LOVED those air craft. Absolutely loved them. I think that he has flight time on more than one of the air frames that are at the National Museum of the USAF at Dayton.

The dude honestly lights up when he talks to others, especially other vets or pilots, about the terrain-following radar they had.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I personally know a retired 'vark pilot. 1971-1997. Retired, of course. Flight commander, squad commander, group commander. Actual combat experience in the F and EF variants.

He LOVED those air craft. Absolutely loved them. I think that he has flight time on more than one of the air frames that are at the National Museum of the USAF at Dayton.

The dude honestly lights up when he talks to others, especially other vets or pilots, about the terrain-following radar they had.
    Its all perspective. They may be great to fly, but are apparently awful to work on.
    Just like our troops LOVE the A-10. The Taliban? Not so much. :):

Top Bottom