• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've never used the x39 round for deer so I'm going to take the galil out this year and give it a go. I'm curious to see what loading people have tried and what you thought. I have wolf HP, ppu SP, and barnaul SP all in the ammo cabinet. They're all 122 or 123 grain.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've never used the x39 round for deer so I'm going to take the galil out this year and give it a go. I'm curious to see what loading people have tried and what you thought. I have wolf HP, ppu SP, and barnaul SP all in the ammo cabinet. They're all 122 or 123 grain.

I've seen multiple tests with Wolf HP and they just preformed well.
    I'll try to find some SP tests for you.

Edit:
    Barnaul SP

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've seen good success with Hornady. Great Sub 100y round
    Hornady SST work well with velocity between 2000-2500 fps. I find anything faster they break apart faster. So it's perfect for 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39mm velocity. I reload the sst bullets but you can buy Hornady Black 7.62x39mm with SST bullet.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    What PPU rounds do you have...I have several boxed of their round nose soft point (think 30-30 round nose). I don't think they make them anymore but they are awesome on deer.

I also have a couple hundred Lehigh projectiles from back when you could just buy the projectiles before they made you buy loaded ammo. Haven't had a chance to develop loads with them yet.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well, got to shoot a small doe last night with my galil running PPU 7.62x39 SP. Horribly unimpressed with the performance. The round entered the shoulder and flat exploded never penetrating the ribcage. I did end up eventually killing the deer, but will never use that load again. Not sure what the deal is with that round, but I used their 174 grain soft point out of my K31 earlier this season and it performed wonderfully.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I've shot a lot of different kind of ammo through my SKS into oak blocks. Split the blocks to see what the bullets look like. Just like they did before shooting.
    I got a doe once, bullet went in but didn't come out.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom