Where to find .357 magnum loads for deer hunting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hey all,

So I foolishly did not take into account the massive shipping costs for ordering ammunition from Buffalo Bore (I know, foolish on my part) and was wondering if any of you knew where to find .357 loads for deer hunting.

I'd like to use 180 gr hard cast if possible but I'd be willing to give 158 gr loads a look. If anyone knew where to find 180 gr bullets I could also load some of my own as I have the equipment and materials to do so.

Lastly, if anyone has any they'd be willing to part with/sell, 10 rounds or so would do just fine to get me through the season. I'm going to take a deer with my rifle first then try with my Ruger Blackhawk.

I know I should've gotten on this sooner but being in graduate school has been quite the distraction! Thank you in advance everyone.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Over the past few years, I've purchased various calibers of ammunition from Littlestones Ammunition and have had a great experience with them. They also offer a decent reloading program when you save and send your spent casings back to them!
    Littlestones Website: http://www.littlestonesrus.com/

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Cabelas nobles ville had 3 boxes of 357 lever evolution boxes Thursday. Who knows now.

I have shot them in my 44 mag and they hit high compared to my copies of the Winchester white box I reload. In a pinch they should work well on deer in 357.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Cabelas nobles ville had 3 boxes of 357 lever evolution boxes Thursday. Who knows now.

I have shot them in my 44 mag and they hit high compared to my copies of the Winchester white box I reload. In a pinch they should work well on deer in 357.
    This is a silly question but can one fire those out of a revolver such as the Blackhawk? I know Rugers are tough!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Over the past few years, I've purchased various calibers of ammunition from Littlestones Ammunition and have had a great experience with them. They also offer a decent reloading program when you save and send your spent casings back to them!
    Littlestones Website: http://www.littlestonesrus.com/
    I really like their 180 grain and 200 grain selections! Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment. However, for the future what do their shipping rates typically run you?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The lever evolution rounds are not some super hot rounds and will fire fine in pistols. They just have a polymer tip that would keep the pointed tip from setting off the round in front. (I have heard that happened once apon a time but I have never seen a picture of a tube ignition accident) In 44 mag they do group higher than Winchester white box and my handloads by 3 inches at 75 yards. Better ballistic coefficient I would think.

I know that my marlin model 1894 does not shoot the handloads I make for my smith model 29 at all. A paper plate would be hard to hit at 50 yards with them. I had to go with a larger diameter bullet for the marlin to group well. The smith will fire the handloads for the marlin rifle ok better than the other way around. The marlin company is known to have oversized bore sizes. Brass cases are marlin rounds and the silver coated cases I load for the pistol. That way I don’t put the wrong ones in if they get pocket mixed.

If you happen to find a 357 mag load that is very accurate with both the rifle and the handgun I would by every box of that lot number I could find. As cool as it seems to have a pistol and a rifle that shoot the same ammo it is harder to find a pair that shoots the same ammo well. Maybe with ruger making revolvers and marlins now that could improve.

I get better groups with my 44 mag handloads than the lever evolution rounds. I just mimicked the Winchester white box JSP load and brought the FPS up a bit with the H110 powder. Not even a max load. The lever rounds group, the handloads close to touch.

From my experience with the marlin rifles I would say you would be fine with Winchester white box 357 mag 158 grain JSP for your deer hunting. Most marlins shoot these very accurate and the rounds were once cheap and common. When ever I pick up a used marlin I get white box ammo for it. Same way any new 22 get cci mini mags. If it does not shoot them well or feed and function correctly it is not the ammo.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    The lever evolution rounds are not some super hot rounds and will fire fine in pistols. They just have a polymer tip that would keep the pointed tip from setting off the round in front. (I have heard that happened once apon a time but I have never seen a picture of a tube ignition accident) In 44 mag they do group higher than Winchester white box and my handloads by 3 inches at 75 yards. Better ballistic coefficient I would think.

I know that my marlin model 1894 does not shoot the handloads I make for my smith model 29 at all. A paper plate would be hard to hit at 50 yards with them. I had to go with a larger diameter bullet for the marlin to group well. The smith will fire the handloads for the marlin rifle ok better than the other way around. The marlin company is known to have oversized bore sizes. Brass cases are marlin rounds and the silver coated cases I load for the pistol. That way I don’t put the wrong ones in if they get pocket mixed.

If you happen to find a 357 mag load that is very accurate with both the rifle and the handgun I would by every box of that lot number I could find. As cool as it seems to have a pistol and a rifle that shoot the same ammo it is harder to find a pair that shoots the same ammo well. Maybe with ruger making revolvers and marlins now that could improve.

I get better groups with my 44 mag handloads than the lever evolution rounds. I just mimicked the Winchester white box JSP load and brought the FPS up a bit with the H110 powder. Not even a max load. The lever rounds group, the handloads close to touch.

From my experience with the marlin rifles I would say you would be fine with Winchester white box 357 mag 158 grain JSP for your deer hunting. Most marlins shoot these very accurate and the rounds were once cheap and common. When ever I pick up a used marlin I get white box ammo for it. Same way any new 22 get cci mini mags. If it does not shoot them well or feed and function correctly it is not the ammo.
    I'll be on the look out! Luckily I have my .270 to rely on too, I just wanted to try handgun hunting after taking a deer with my .270. I've been itching to try handgun hunting with a revolver for years.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I' m pretty sure I have a box full of 180 grain lswc bullets. I can check when I get home this evening. Too bad you are so far away, I have the buffalo bore heavy bullet cartridges....

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I' m pretty sure I have a box full of 180 grain lswc bullets. I can check when I get home this evening. Too bad you are so far away, I have the buffalo bore heavy bullet cartridges....
    That is a bummer! The closest I get to the Fort Wayne area is Richmond and that's still quite a drive.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Who did you order your 180 grain bullets from? Between my Starline brass and the Lil gun or 2400 I have I should be able to load some that'll work.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Who did you order your 180 grain bullets from? Between my Starline brass and the Lil gun or 2400 I have I should be able to load some that'll work.
    They have been on my shelf for a couple decades. I think buried under other things. But if you could use a dozen or so, message me with your address and I'll send them to you. The price would be somewhere south of a thousand dollars..

Top Bottom