Where is the cry to do something like with gun deaths?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    Vehicle Deaths on US Roads Climb

So where is the cry for more common sense laws to stop the people from dying? So when are they going to call the car manufactures to capital hill and tell them they need to do more?
    We live about a mile and a half from I 65 and on a average week hear the emergency response crews a least 5 or 6 times going to a call on it. I try and avoid 65 whenever I can as most of the people on their drive insane and to me you take you life in your hands on it. I have seen some people do some crazy things so then no wonder most accidents are fatalities..

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Oh, they're working on it.

Everybody knows at least one "vehicle geek" who lusts after the latest luxury EV toy vehicle.

But remember: once the government stops taxing "gas" - and starts taxing "miles" - every road in America potentially becomes a toll road. Even ones that have already been there a hundred years.

(Let the importance of that sink in for a minute).

Don't think for a minute that "they" don't have a long-range plan to reduce your driving. There are defense contractors who have entire divisions of their company working on this "tolling technology" as we speak. One of them employs a thousand people right here in Indiana.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Vehicle Deaths on US Roads Climb

So where is the cry for more common sense laws to stop the people from dying? So when are they going to call the car manufactures to capital hill and tell them they need to do more?
    We live about a mile and a half from I 65 and on a average week hear the emergency response crews a least 5 or 6 times going to a call on it. I try and avoid 65 whenever I can as most of the people on their drive insane and to me you take you life in your hands on it. I have seen some people do some crazy things so then no wonder most accidents are fatalities..

It's coming.

Until you're in a straight jacket, in a padded cell, they won't be happy. In fact they won't even be happy then, and will demand you upload your mind to a computer, where they have total control over every thought you have.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    When you're forced to own an electric car and there's no power to charge it those numbers will drop.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you don't think there's a cry about automobile safety and a raft of 'common sense measures' that have passed then you aren't paying attention. There's been a hell of a lot more automobile related restrictions and mandates to manufacturers over the past 20 years than firearms. I assume most of us remember before airbags were an option, let alone mandatory. Some of us remember seat belts being an option and certainly no law mandated you wear it. Back up cameras are now mandatory based on single digit deaths of children backed over by vehicles in the US. Crash standards have continuously evolved and, as a whole, have made cars significantly safer.

Remember MADD? Remember when the BAC was lowered? Take a peek at how much money NHTSA spends on DUI enforcement and education, as well as enforcement of traffic laws at high fatal crash intersections. But that's going to be put on manufacturers soon as well. Congress has passed legislation to study the feasibility of software that monitors you for impaired/drowsy driving and reacts by forcing you to pull over with a target date of 2026: https://apnews.com/article/coronavi...iness-health-068ee87392b0cca1444053b854a514dd There's also pushes to make cars more "pedestrian strike" friendly, as well as occasional calls for mininum volumes for noise from cars to alert pedestrians that ebb and flow.

Seriously, you in no way want automotive like restrictions on manufacturing of firearms. You'd end up with a 15 lb handgun with rubber bumpers that let you drop it on your toe without injury from 10', equipped with double redundant safeties with warning beeps when turned off, minimum number of reflectors, mandatory slings or lanyards, and a ban on lead ammunition due to emissions concerns...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Is that the 495?
    Did part of that once from I-270 to Silver Spring. Never want to do that again!
    270 dumps into 495 just after the Georgetown rd exit. You probably took Georgia ave or Colesville rd exit for most of Silver Spring.
    Thats a few exits north on 495 from 270.
    Its just getting good then. lol
    Rubbings Commuting.

Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    270 dumps into 495 just after the Georgetown rd exit. You probably took Georgia ave or Colesville rd exit for most of Silver Spring.
    Thats a few exits north on 495 from 270.
    Its just getting good then. lol
    Rubbings Commuting.
    Thanks for the info.

If you don't think there's a cry about automobile safety and a raft of 'common sense measures' that have passed then you aren't paying attention. There's been a hell of a lot more automobile related restrictions and mandates to manufacturers over the past 20 years than firearms. I assume most of us remember before airbags were an option, let alone mandatory. Some of us remember seat belts being an option and certainly no law mandated you wear it. Back up cameras are now mandatory based on single digit deaths of children backed over by vehicles in the US. Crash standards have continuously evolved and, as a whole, have made cars significantly safer.

Remember MADD? Remember when the BAC was lowered? Take a peek at how much money NHTSA spends on DUI enforcement and education, as well as enforcement of traffic laws at high fatal crash intersections. But that's going to be put on manufacturers soon as well. Congress has passed legislation to study the feasibility of software that monitors you for impaired/drowsy driving and reacts by forcing you to pull over with a target date of 2026: https://apnews.com/article/coronavi...iness-health-068ee87392b0cca1444053b854a514dd There's also pushes to make cars more "pedestrian strike" friendly, as well as occasional calls for mininum volumes for noise from cars to alert pedestrians that ebb and flow.

Seriously, you in no way want automotive like restrictions on manufacturing of firearms. You'd end up with a 15 lb handgun with rubber bumpers that let you drop it on your toe without injury from 10', equipped with double redundant safeties with warning beeps when turned off, minimum number of reflectors, mandatory slings or lanyards, and a ban on lead ammunition due to emissions concerns...
    Guess I missed all the protests and government hold hearings on how to stop the auto deaths. The only time i ever see a politician talking about doing something is when they are inconvenienced like in 2017 when Oberweis wanted to increase the limits because he was driving 74 mph and most of the traffic was speeding past him or when they get called out about running red lights, speeding and such.
    Plus, I think that deaths in auto crashes even though are increasing people are desensitized and now is the normal. Also, not a lot of real accountability anymore so no fear and does not really get coverage via the news unless it shuts down traffic or is someone of importance.

I do see your point just frustrating how it gets glossed over but it does not make ratings or work in politician's favor unless your are Ralph Nader.

Sorry I am more sensitive/cautious with driving since going through a head on crash with my Dad 30 years ago do to the other driver going over the speed limit and losing control. Just like everything until it happen to you not a big deal.

A lot of the issues can be prevented with people just slowing down and paying attention and using true common sense. IMO.

Having laws on the books that are widely ignored or enforced is bad for the law and does not really do any good..

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My theory.

It's not that they don't like guns, per say, it's they don't like the people that own them. They (gun owners) tend to be more self sufficient and less dependant on .gov.
    The ones I've talked to (it's been a while) make much of the fact that firearms 'only have one purpose, to kill' and hunting still fits that worldview because they object to hunting, also

Thus they see firearms as an evil single purpose tool that, if eliminated, will somehow make people stop wanting to kill each other because it will be harder to do or something

They truly live in a bubble. No amount of intrusion by the reality that is crime and criminal violence seemingly can red pill them

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the info.

Guess I missed all the protests and government hold hearings on how to stop the auto deaths. The only time i ever see a politician talking about doing something is when they are inconvenienced like in 2017 when Oberweis wanted to increase the limits because he was driving 74 mph and most of the traffic was speeding past him or when they get called out about running red lights, speeding and such.
    Plus, I think that deaths in auto crashes even though are increasing people are desensitized and now is the normal. Also, not a lot of real accountability anymore so no fear and does not really get coverage via the news unless it shuts down traffic or is someone of importance.

I do see your point just frustrating how it gets glossed over but it does not make ratings or work in politician's favor unless your are Ralph Nader.

Sorry I am more sensitive/cautious with driving since going through a head on crash with my Dad 30 years ago do to the other driver going over the speed limit and losing control. Just like everything until it happen to you not a big deal.

A lot of the issues can be prevented with people just slowing down and paying attention and using true common sense. IMO.

Having laws on the books that are widely ignored or enforced is bad for the law and does not really do any good..
    You don't see protests because it's generally not controversies among the general public. Back up cameras, airbags, and door structure aren't part of the culture war so the hearings aren't shoved in your face by media and politicians. You'll need to be watching enthusiast sites to even know its happening for the most part. The culture was aspect is in EVs, so you'll see a lot more information and misinformation on that than safety.

DUI used to be more in the eye of pop culture, and I do remember the complaints about seat belt laws in cars then light trucks, but it's widely accepted now so, again, not much controversy to be had on the topic.

Top Bottom