• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I learned by doing but, there are resources for you. YouTube vids, the Cast Boolits forum, a book out by Lee I believe. I just spent an hour in a buddies driveway and got him started.
    Start collecting lead. When you get 40 pounds of scrap send me a message. I'll drive down with my stuff and just show you.
    That's a long drive with a fuel shortage coming on.
    I'd appreciate it, but if it's a hardship on you by all means look out for you, and yours.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I learned by doing but, there are resources for you. YouTube vids, the Cast Boolits forum, a book out by Lee I believe. I just spent an hour in a buddies driveway and got him started.
    Start collecting lead. When you get 40 pounds of scrap send me a message. I'll drive down with my stuff and just show you.
    Lyman has a good book, Paul Matthews books. Like Slim posted surf Castboolets.com
    If you have problems finding some things post it here.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Anyone have any luck with scrap yards or recycling centers in the Indy area selling lead? I've called several, but they've all said "No".

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I've had luck with smaller tire shops, bringing a case of soda or beer after I got to know them a little. Sadly, zinc is the majority of wheel weights now...

Plumber friend brought me some, some roofers I called directed me to a place they dumped scrap that let me pick up a bunch of jacks for free but that was 10 years ago and the place is no longer open. I get most now at my range, picking bullets up off the berm. I don't dig and sift, I just go to the 10 and 25 yard berms and get half a big coffee can in an hour. Probably have 6 or 7 full coffee cans now sitting around waiting for me to run out of ingots to render down for more.

A dentistry used to save the little lead foil x-ray packs for me but they have gone digital now. Got 2 or 3 coffee cans full of that compressed as full as I can get them. I've found misc fishing weights and musket balls at yard sales over the years, got a couple of cans full of those. It accumulates. Now I just need to make time for a smelting session and get it all turned into ingots. Someday...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Everybody wants lead, but doesn't want to pay for it.
    LOL
    Figure gas spent searching, the hauling, then time burned w sort, melt, alloy.
    Guys will go to great lengths, and take months, to save 10 to 20 cents a lb.

BTW, I found a couple ingot moulds. Now to remember where they are in the garage LOL
    Proly got 300 lbs already made. Lyman 1#. Had to sep into smaller amounts per bucket to move em around, then fill bucket for space saving.

That alone was a PITA (well lower back anyway).

May have a couple copies of the Lyman book too, new, if anybody looking for em.
    I'll have to go out and dig. LOL

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Rotometals. I have bought from them. it is a reliable source and excellent quality. You can pick from many choices including hardball or a specific % you might want.
    Shipping is generally via priority mail and I do get shipments within a few days.

Top Bottom