Where did all those annoying squirrels go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    There is a large stand of Oaks next door that has been home to far too many squirrels for better than a decade. Granted I stopped feeding birds this year not so much due to goopy eye but rather our local loss of seed source at reasonable $. Which resulted in fewer recent squirrel incursions onto our property. You know sometimes we all get preoccupied with other thangs, I woke up this morning with realization that I haven't seen squirrels in quite some time. Anyone else observe lower squirrel numbers this year?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have squirrels standing at the road side waiting for the truck that picks up the illegal aliens. Hell, they are directing traffic!

Two more visits to the bird feeder and I will be able to claim them as dependents on my income taxes!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm seeing more in my backyard than normal but was a bumper crop year on the acorns.

68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    10 traps set...

6 caught first day.

Slingshot picking off some.

Bullseye out to about 30ft.

The remaining ones stay watching from a distance.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Have several the size of an alley cat, they're alive and well in NW Hancock County.
    I keep seeing weird little plants popping up in my raised garden beds that are resting til next spring. When I go to pull them, I find a partial ear of field corn the little bastards have buried.
    They're getting into winter prep mode and as actiive as ever here. You may have a coyote/fox/feral cat doing a little population control for ya.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know for sure how many we have in our yard, but I've seen as many as 7 or 8 at one time pretty frequently. I had one dog that used to chase them when she was younger (she's gone now), but as she got older, the squirrels just became like other "pets" to her. It got to the point where our dogs and the cat would just wander around the yard with them and didn't pay them any mind.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There is a large stand of Oaks next door that has been home to far too many squirrels for better than a decade. Granted I stopped feeding birds this year not so much due to goopy eye but rather our local loss of seed source at reasonable $. Which resulted in fewer recent squirrel incursions onto our property. You know sometimes we all get preoccupied with other thangs, I woke up this morning with realization that I haven't seen squirrels in quite some time. Anyone else observe lower squirrel numbers this year?
    Might have had some bobcats move into the area? We've got what I believe is a female on camera regularly and she's a killing machine. Rabbits, squirrels and coons, seems like she's got one of them in her mouth half of the time. It isn't uncommon to get a pic of her walk by the camera then another pic a few minutes later going the other way with lunch.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Might have had some bobcats move into the area? We've got what I believe is a female on camera regularly and she's a killing machine. Rabbits, squirrels and coons, seems like she's got one of them in her mouth half of the time. It isn't uncommon to get a pic of her walk by the camera then another pic a few minutes later going the other way with lunch.
    What location are these sightings, local to you?

A buddy cought what looks like a bobcat to me up here in the north. Didn't think they would make it all the way down to you guys

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What location are these sightings, local to you?

A buddy cought what looks like a bobcat to me up here in the north. Didn't think they would make it all the way down to you guys
    This is at my best friend's property in Owen Co. We trapped one a few years back in Fountain Co and we filmed one walk the perimeter of a food plot in Tippecanoe Co a few years back as well. If they aren't in every county yet I'm betting it won't be much longer. I know the NE corner of the state has a healthy population. I think they're coming up from the south and down from the north at the same time.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    This is at my best friend's property in Owen Co. We trapped one a few years back in Fountain Co and we filmed one walk the perimeter of a food plot in Tippecanoe Co a few years back as well. If they aren't in every county yet I'm betting it won't be much longer. I know the NE corner of the state has a healthy population.
    Awesome, we usually have sightings for a few months and then it gets quiet for a year or so and then more sightings. I always figured it was more sightings just because people were getting back out into the woods and setting out cameras

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Awesome, we usually have sightings for a few months and then it gets quiet for a year or so and then more sightings. I always figured it was more sightings just because people were getting back out into the woods and setting out cameras
    I still get a kick out of seeing them. I think a badger is the only furry critter we have in IN that I haven't seen in the wild yet.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Rural living with lots of habitat... No shortage of squirrels. Most are grey, a few reds but this year is the first time I've ever witnessed a black squirrel. I mean black black. Not dark grey or dirty red, but straight up black fur.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Rural living with lots of habitat... No shortage of squirrels. Most are grey, a few reds but this year is the first time I've ever witnessed a black squirrel. I mean black black. Not dark grey or dirty red, but straight up black fur.
    Black squirrels are common up in Mississauga, Canada (suburb of Toronto). I used to travel up there for business occasionally and the first time I saw one I definitely did a double take!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lots of squirrels here and the bobcats make trips to the house quite often. They aren't as shy as they were 10 years ago, or maybe there are just more of them bobcathouse.jpg bobcathouse2.jpg .

Top Bottom