Where can we find truthful, unbiased news?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I love the way British Media holds up the mirror and "roasts" American government. I wish we still had that kind of irreverence here. Even though we're a somewhat more-free country, Americans have become wussies in this respect. And not only is "woke culture" increasing this tendency, but worse yet, America is exporting "woke culture" to the rest of the world!

I do believe in American exceptionalism, however, sometimes I'm not sure if it's America's goal to save the world, or destroy it. We seem to have trouble figuring out our role. The non-comforting realization is that if it's the latter, China will probably beat us to it.
    You have to look at press freedom ranking.

The US is ranked only 45th, UK is 35th.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I love the way British Media holds up the mirror and "roasts" American government. I wish we still had that kind of irreverence here. Even though we're a somewhat more-free country, Americans have become wussies in this respect. And not only is "woke culture" increasing this tendency, but worse yet, America is exporting "woke culture" to the rest of the world!

I do believe in American exceptionalism, however, sometimes I'm not sure if it's America's goal to save the world, or destroy it. We seem to have trouble figuring out our role. The non-comforting realization is that if it's the latter, China will probably beat us to it.
    I'm not so sure we are exporting woke culture. It seems we are trying to catch up to the rest of the Western nations. Western Europe and Australia both seem to be ahead of us on the woke curve.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have a feeling you're proving my point. Why would I download a messaging app to get news?

Because the corporate media, in collusion with social media, explicitly said they were not covering the election if it favored Trump. They now are doing similar with other issues.

They kicked conservatives off Twitter because they were sharing news they did not want shared.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I am semi active on a British Hot Rod Forum (interestingly enough the predominate iron is American) I asked specifically one time if they were feeling the effects of the woke or "PC" culture and they assured me it wasn't just an American anomaly. I apologized for all Americans for any part we may have had infecting their culture. Hitler couldn't defeat either of us but it looks wokeness will. I dread the day President Harris takes the oath of office.:(

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hell I'd just be happy having a news source that actually puts some effort into being inconspicuous about it's attempts to control and mislead. They've gotten so lazy and so many people have decided they'll lap up whatever they're told because critical thinking requires effort that I can't stand to read or watch any of it any longer. Every once in a while I'll find a story written as if the author wants to actually inform people rather than guide their emotions but that is very rare these days.

I have no source I trust. I gather information by reading between the lines, determining how they want me to feel and/or what they want me to believe then making sure I take a close look at the exact opposite perspective which os usually where the truth can be found.

Rare is the human being in this country who can honestly remain unbiased about politics. I'm definitely not any more, if it comes from or is agreed upon by the left I don't even give the benefit of the doubt of listening to them. Not a great way to go through life but anything and everything from the left is so full of :poop: that I haven't found a better alternative.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    because the news business is so huge and so obviously steeped in a wide range of bias in both the authors and the consumers, and because the OP didnt respond much to posts on this thread, I can't help but wonder if the OP laid out the scenario and asked the question as a social experiment to see how INGOers respond to the very simple question, "where can I find unbiased news?"

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Hell I'd just be happy having a news source that actually puts some effort into being inconspicuous about it's attempts to control and mislead. They've gotten so lazy and so many people have decided they'll lap up whatever they're told because critical thinking requires effort that I can't stand to read or watch any of it any longer. Every once in a while I'll find a story written as if the author wants to actually inform people rather than guide their emotions but that is very rare these days.

I have no source I trust. I gather information by reading between the lines, determining how they want me to feel and/or what they want me to believe then making sure I take a close look at the exact opposite perspective which os usually where the truth can be found.

Rare is the human being in this country who can honestly remain unbiased about politics. I'm definitely not any more, if it comes from or is agreed upon by the left I don't even give the benefit of the doubt of listening to them. Not a great way to go through life but anything and everything from the left is so full of :poop: that I haven't found a better alternative.

This is all because of the internet, social media, and Google in particular the news feed for so much. They took news that was sold on trust and converted it to being sold by click, with the most incendiary hook getting the fish. Then add in confirmation bias and wala, news is dead.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    If you want unbiased news as possible, especially when it comes to US politics, you have to look at foreign agencies.

bbc.com is a good start.

British journalists don't vote in the US election, so during the entire campaign their articles were the less biased ones I could read.

I read the news from different countries, and in different languages, everyday to try to get the best all around picture.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Been reading it for the last few days.

tylerr23

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Wabash Indiana
    I just choose not to watch the news. If something comes up ill do my own research on it. Used to watch fox news buuut not much at all anymore. Newsmax is good if you just want the news. Its still gonna be biased tho of course because like previously said its a business.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Bias? Depends upon your ideas are on what would be bias in your "news".
    There has always been censoring. And, there have always been organizations pretending to be good and wholesome in order to do evil. Sometimes those are pretty easy to spot because they claim to be defending victims.
    Any more (these days) I'd say try to find the groups that do not support a side with prejudice.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Over the last few years, I have spent more and more time on Facebook. I started out liking CBS and other national and local news sources. But the reporting/stories and bashing of Trump just went way over the top. Where are the stories of the good things he is doing? It just has made me sick. It is not only about Trump-bashing. Just about everything has such an ugly spin, it is bending my naturally positive outlook. So a few weeks ago I just unfollowed damn near everything. Sort of a screw this, I'm outa here feeling.
    It has made my Facebook time more enjoyable but I still need to keep up with what the hell is going on around here.
    So far I am exploring the BBC, Reuters, and Associated Press.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    because the news business is so huge and so obviously steeped in a wide range of bias in both the authors and the consumers, and because the OP didnt respond much to posts on this thread, I can't help but wonder if the OP laid out the scenario and asked the question as a social experiment to see how INGOers respond to the very simple question, "where can I find unbiased news?"
    Not a social experiment I assure you.
    I'm just an old man looking for the truth. I refuse to believe the United States is going to Hell in a handbasket.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Over the last few years, I have spent more and more time on Facebook. I started out liking CBS and other national and local news sources. But the reporting/stories and bashing of Trump just went way over the top. Where are the stories of the good things he is doing? It just has made me sick. It is not only about Trump-bashing. Just about everything has such an ugly spin, it is bending my naturally positive outlook. So a few weeks ago I just unfollowed damn near everything. Sort of a screw this, I'm outa here feeling.
    It has made my Facebook time more enjoyable but I still need to keep up with what the hell is going on around here.
    So far I am exploring the BBC, Reuters, and Associated Press.
    Bad stuff gets clicks. Clicks get money.

From your op it sounds like you didnt like how the NRA was portrayed even though what was said was true. Would you have preferred it sugarcoated to say "The NRA makes the smart decision to file for bankruptcy and will reorganize in Texas"?

nightgaunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Rural St Joe County
    What a joke...
    No, the joke is Gateway Pundit and Epoch times. Not sure how you don't do a modicum of research to see the heavy right bias.

Check any study on media bias and you'll see AP, BBC and Reuters as middle ground and highly factual.
    But keep believing the propoganda and conspiracy theories...
    Media-Bias-Chart-6.1_December_Edition_Unlicensed_Social_Media_Low_Res.jpg

Top Bottom