Where can we find truthful, unbiased news?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    One of my sons texted me a headline: " The NRA has fallen, Declares bankruptcy"
    I straightened him out on that topic but it has taken us to the topic of spin in the news.
    I read that not long ago, like the Cronkite years, reporters were required to always do two things before an editor would allow a story to run.
    1) Reporters had to get two credible confirmations from people that would go on record attesting that the story was true.
    2) Reporters had to go to the person the story was written about and get their side of the story and report that in the story.
    Nowadays we all know how platforms like Facebook have allowed anyone to pretend they are credible and say anything about anyone.
    Nothing is off-limits, even the President.
    Have any of you found a platform/news service/or the like that you believe tries to report the truth?
    I am willing to pay for the service as digging for the truth takes time and effort.
    Where can we get reliable news?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    its a clickbait headline. The NRA did declare bankruptcy. It's not a lie. You dont necessarily have to find a new news source, just read the article instead of skipping it like all of us seem to do a lot of the time.

WNComply

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I straightened him out on that topic but it has taken us to the topic of spin in the news.
    I read that not long ago, like the Cronkite years, reporters were required to always do two things before an editor would allow a story to run.
    1) Reporters had to get two credible confirmations from people that would go on record attesting that the story was true.
    2) Reporters had to go to the person the story was written about and get their side of the story and report that in the story.
    Nowadays we all know how platforms like Facebook have allowed anyone to pretend they are credible and say anything about anyone.
    Have any of you found a platform/news service/or the like that you believe tries to report the truth?
    I am willing to pay for the service as digging for the truth takes time and effort.
    Everyone has moved to the app Telegram. If you follow We the People, the will provide links and posts for us Truthseakers.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    its a clickbait headline. The NRA did declare bankruptcy. It's not a lie. You dont necessarily have to find a new news source, just read the article instead of skipping it like all of us seem to do a lot of the time.
    I have previously researched the NRA bankruptcy story and explained the details to my sons.
    The question in my post is: where can truthful news reporting be found?

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I've found "one news" and news max to be reliable.. they definitely are right leaning but it does appear they actually practice journalism and ive on many occasions heard them call BS on conservatives behaving badly and on trump.. so far I think they are as close to "unbiased" that I've found.. believe it or not BBC world news (although left leaning) has been known to report facts and not just op eds and activism.. just my 2 cents.. opinions WILL vary lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I would love to find some unbiased news also. Most people who say a particular news source is unbiased actually mean it matches up with their particular bias.
    Get the Telegram app and follow “We the People”

truthseaker
    I have a feeling you're proving my point. Why would I download a messaging app to get news?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you want unbiased news as possible, especially when it comes to US politics, you have to look at foreign agencies.

bbc.com is a good start.

British journalists don't vote in the US election, so during the entire campaign their articles were the less biased ones I could read.

I read the news from different countries, and in different languages, everyday to try to get the best all around picture.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Hate to say this but it was probably Cronkite that realized a journalist could control "the news" when after the US troops in Vietnam turned back the TET Offensive and the North was on the verge of capitulation. Cronkite decided that our troops were horribly destroyed and that the North was the victor. That fake report is what emboldened the North and the rest is history.

As for unbiased, as Sylvain stated, the BBC is not a bad place to start but lately even they have to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. Still better than most.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That app is 10 bucks per week!
    NOT endorsing the app as I have never used it, but you get what you pay for does come to mind. Not directly pointing at you but we sacrifice our personal information everyday for something "free" if we are using most apps on smartphones.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have previously researched the NRA bankruptcy story and explained the details to my sons.
    The question in my post is: where can truthful news reporting be found?
    You are asking the wrong, question, but here is your answer:

NOWHERE.

Cronkite was not a news-god. People just thought he was, because there was little else available. Our nation was more of a mono-culture back then, and "3 Channels" (and no cable TV) reinforced it.

The intelligent person cannot take any source as "Gospel." That is an unfortunate bad habit gotten into most often by Christians who want to believe "one true word of salvation." You cannot find any such source in the man-made media. All humans are subject to biases, and so it is with news sources.

You must do the following:

1) Look at a large number of sources..

2) Consider the possible motivations behind each. Why is this source telling me a) this information, b) at this particular time? Why is the Wall Street Journal showing me an article citing a study from the Heritage Foundation, saying that Tariffs caused the Great Depression? Is there a big Trade Deal getting warmed up for ratification by Congress? That sort of thing...I think you get where I'm going with this.

3) Synthesize the above into an intelligently-formed world view.

It will take time. It will take work. You're not going to achieve this level of enlightenment digesting one source over your morning coffee. It takes years of looking at different sources, and evaluating them against one another.

I know that's a tough answer. It's why Americans are so easily manipulated. Because "getting on with their day" is more important than being informed.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If you want unbiased news as possible, especially when it comes to US politics, you have to look at foreign agencies.

bbc.com is a good start.

British journalists don't vote in the US election, so during the entire campaign their articles were the less biased ones I could read.

I read the news from different countries, and in different languages, everyday to try to get the best all around picture.
    I love the way British Media holds up the mirror and "roasts" American government. I wish we still had that kind of irreverence here. Even though we're a somewhat more-free country, Americans have become wussies in this respect. And not only is "woke culture" increasing this tendency, but worse yet, America is exporting "woke culture" to the rest of the world!

I do believe in American exceptionalism, however, sometimes I'm not sure if it's America's goal to save the world, or destroy it. We seem to have trouble figuring out our role. The non-comforting realization is that if it's the latter, China will probably beat us to it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

bbc.com is a good start.

Sylvain is right. The OG goes to Britain and Israel for her US news.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hate to say this but it was probably Cronkite that realized a journalist could control "the news" when after the US troops in Vietnam turned back the TET Offensive and the North was on the verge of capitulation. Cronkite decided that our troops were horribly destroyed and that the North was the victor. That fake report is what emboldened the North and the rest is history.

As for unbiased, as Sylvain stated, the BBC is not a bad place to start but lately even they have to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. Still better than most.
    You also need to be aware of their cultural bias.

Every person has cultural bias even if they manage to be politically neutral.

If you read a BBC article where firearms laws in the US are mentioned for example, you have to keep in mind the person writing this thinks most cops shouldn't be armed. Let alone average citizens.

Same thing if you read an article in a French newspaper about "The best wines in the world" they probably won't mention Californian wine.

Sometimes cultural bias can be a good thing.
    It let you have different views on things that you wouldn't get if you only read things writen by folks raised like you, who vote like you etc.

Top Bottom