• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As said upthread, forget NY style here. If you want GOOD pizza regardless of the style here are my top 3: Marco's, Puccinis, and Bazbeaux's. (In no particular order). Bazbeaux's is a fluke because its gourmet... Lots of nonstandard toppings like andouille sausage and other stuff you wouldnt expect. And Puccinis has an AMAZING homemade italian dressing. Barlo's on the south side is also pretty good.

Just make sure you go in with an open mind. If you try to compare it to home, you wont like ANY of my suggestions. While they arent like NY style pizzerias, They are good in their own right. If I go to Charleston and compare the ribs to what I had in Austin, I'll be disappointed. But if I let them stand on their own merits, I'll enjoy them immensely.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I too am from the east coast. Lived in jersey/ new york up until 2yrs ago and I will tell you flat out there is no where like home to get pizza here. Closest you will find is brozzini on Emerson and county line. Another thing Indy lacks is good bagels I guess the saying is true it must be the water

I am a fan of Greek's at Stop 11 and Emerson.

But as bagels go... Shapiro's bagels are great!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The Dawg house in Monrovia is a local favorite. Also Tomato Pie pizza in Paragon gets lots of local buzz but I like Dawg house better. Maybe a bit of a drive from Castleton just for pizza.

I've had authentic Chicago pizza but never real N.Y. pizza so I really can't compare

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    As said upthread, forget NY style here. If you want GOOD pizza regardless of the style here are my top 3: Marco's, Puccinis, and Bazbeaux's. (In no particular order). Bazbeaux's is a fluke because its gourmet... Lots of nonstandard toppings like andouille sausage and other stuff you wouldnt expect. And Puccinis has an AMAZING homemade italian dressing. Barlo's on the south side is also pretty good.

Just make sure you go in with an open mind. If you try to compare it to home, you wont like ANY of my suggestions. While they arent like NY style pizzerias, They are good in their own right. If I go to Charleston and compare the ribs to what I had in Austin, I'll be disappointed. But if I let them stand on their own merits, I'll enjoy them immensely.

+1 for barlos too. I haven't had the others.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    If when you fold it lengthwise and oil doesn't run down yer hand it's not right. Luca pizza used to remind me of Sal's on 103st & Broadway (used to be 95st & Brdwy). Didn't need any toppings when it was that good. Here, I drown it in pepperoni and jalapenos. Just about anywhere in NYC the pizza was great. Like the joint Louis CK stops in on his way to the comedy club. Standup joint with a couple of tables. My paunch grows just thinking about it. I should try Brozini's.:cool:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like a variety of pizza "types", from Italian to Chicago. I wish I could get pizza like they had in Naples in Indiana. Actually, no I don't. I'd weigh 400 lbs.

Anyway, my two local favorites are:

The New Bethel Ordinary. NBO is cheese heavy, topping heavy, and a fairly dense crust. New Bethel Ordinary Restaurant and Lounge - Wanamaker, IN - Pizza is our Specialty
    Jockamo's Pizza. They have "gourmet" varieties as well as traditional, and I've never tried anything there I didn't like. Jockamo Pizza

Brozinni's is pretty good, too. Try the garlic knots if you go there.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    i apologize in advance for how "douchey" this will make me sound.

i lived in new york all my life, until last summer. because of that, i have a high standard for my pizza. now, i dont expect to have something that tastes exactly the same, given the difference in water from here to there - but the closer i can get, the better.

that being said, who has the best pizza around here? i have tried "new york style" pizza from vermont to florida to washington and thats all it is - the same style. what about the flavor!?

You say high standard, but pizza standards vary by person. I am guessing that you are wanting NY style pizza? Around Indy there aren't many. Brozzini's on the south side (Countyline and Emerson I think) is tasty. Zoey's on 135 just south of Fry Rd is pretty good too. There's always Jockamo's, they have a couple locations around. Beyond that the only pizza I'll go out of my way to get is "real" pizza king, Noblesville is the closest, beyond them you have to go to eastern Indiana to find one. Now if you want to talk about some seriously delicious pizza and are in the mood for a nice drive there's a couple places worthwhile. First, one of my all time favorite pizza places ever, Desano in Nashville, TN. They serve true Napolitano style pizza. Get some of their peppers, just amazing. The other is a place in Louisville that the wife and I went to, it's called Impellizeri's or some such, pretty dang tasty. For Chicago style, go north. Giordono's or Giuseppe's, I think there might be a Giuseppe's in NW Indiana but for Giordano's you'll have to go to the forbidden land of Chicago. If you're out the NJ way I'd recommend Enzo's in Matawan, NJ.

That's my .02usd for what it's worth. FYI, Take a weekend trip to Nashville and go sight-seeing and visit Desano, you won't be sad you did.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't even know if I've ever had New York style pizza. If I lived in Noblesville I'd go to Pizza King all the time. It's probably completely different than what you're used to but it's pretty good. It's what I grew up on and it's my favorite. Unfortunately there isn't a good Pizza King on the south side of Indy.

There's one at Southport and Bluff... Or are you saying it's not a "good" one?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    There's one at Southport and Bluff... Or are you saying it's not a "good" one?

There are two branches of Pizza King. One is better than the other, they use superior ingredients. The closest to Indianapolis is Noblesville or Cumberland depending on where you live. The link to the good ones is below, if the Pizza King you're referring to isn't on that list it's probably one of the bad ones.

Pizza King - Ring the King | Locations

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are two branches of Pizza King. One is better than the other, they use superior ingredients. The closest to Indianapolis is Noblesville or Cumberland depending on where you live. The link to the good ones is below, if the Pizza King you're referring to isn't on that list it's probably one of the bad ones.

Pizza King - Ring the King | Locations

Huh. I didn't know there were two out there. The one at Southport and Bluff isn't on there, but it reminds me of the one I used to go to in Lafayette (also not on that list).

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like a variety of pizza "types", from Italian to Chicago. I wish I could get pizza like they had in Naples in Indiana. Actually, no I don't. I'd weigh 400 lbs.

Anyway, my two local favorites are:

The New Bethel Ordinary. NBO is cheese heavy, topping heavy, and a fairly dense crust. New Bethel Ordinary Restaurant and Lounge - Wanamaker, IN - Pizza is our Specialty
    Jockamo's Pizza. They have "gourmet" varieties as well as traditional, and I've never tried anything there I didn't like. Jockamo Pizza

Brozinni's is pretty good, too. Try the garlic knots if you go there.

:+1: to Jockamo. I love their Po Boy pizza with shrimp and crawfish!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    As far as some here are concerned, Papa Johns has "good" pizza.

Yeah, and they would be wrong.:noway:

I have always lived in the Elkhart area and assumed a decent to great pizza was obtainable most anywhere. With places like Columbo's, Vesuvio's, Milano's, etc, it's hard to get a bad pizza.

NY pizza is a "unique" thing. It has not spread across the nation because outside of New Yorkers who grew up on it, nobody else really loves it.:dunno:

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    My first job was at an Italian bakery/pizza joint in way upstate NY. Not gonna find much around as good as you expect. The dough for Italian bread or pizza was made by an ever changing recipe. That days batch was mostly dependent on HUMIDITY and the temperature that day. That's the biggest secret. How long it rises, how many times it's it's rolled, amount of yeast, hot, cold or warm water all go into a good crust or bread creation coupled with 105 years of passed down knowledge. Can't slap some flour & yeast together like most fast food pizza you get. Some of the places mentioned have owners with a little training of how to make the dough. Try them and like it has been said enjoy it for what it is- Indiana pizza. I made the mistake upon moving to Indiana and thinking I could just go buy some fresh dough to make pies.......nada happen

Top Bottom