When to Draw the line on buying local???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I have been buying 1 ounce silver Christmas rounds and or bars with dates on them for several years Now . I usually buy them Local and Usually on Black Friday.
    and Tried to do it again this year. But OUCH $12 over Spot before Taxes W T Hey, Lady owner tells me that is what there Supplier did to them .
    I can Buy the Same Silver Towne Rounds From California Shipped Free For just a little over $3 spot .
    :xmad: so this years Buy my Silver local Went down the tube

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    About the only thing I buy local is fresh food. There are so few actual small independent businesses left that I'd be buying from a giant retailer in their store anyhow. Even the last few firearms I've purchased the LGS didn't have and weren't interested in trying to order, so I had to transfer them in. The local pawn shop's precious metals pricing is no better than Provident, so why screw around for 2 hours driving down there and all of that when in 5 minutes I can click a couple of times and my stuff is on the way?

So... I suppose my answer to that is when the actual local service is worse than waiting for the mail to bring it to me. On the flip side, online keeps getting more and more amazing. I just ordered 2 rolls of 3D printer filament from Amazon and they claim it will be here today. That's insane.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Prefer food local as well. And, anything that will need local service. Clothes/shoes as well (prefer to try them on first). Firearms (thanks .gov for forcing that issue) and ammo.

So, yeah, that's a lot of stuff.

Hard to beat Amazon and some other online retailers. I got wainscotting and trimwork shopped to my door, same week, for less than I could find the styles I DIDN'T like locally. Routinely get odds and ends from Amazon same or next day, for a price comparable to local brick-and-mortar stores.

Retail/commercial rent and employee salaries are huge expenses. The little guys can't move enough volume to compete with warehouses. They have to "win" on something else (quality, service, boutique).

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Retail/commercial rent and employee salaries are huge expenses. The little guys can't move enough volume to compete with warehouses. They have to "win" on something else (quality, service, boutique).

Not that these are "small" businesses, but Menard's and Ace Hardware have really stepped their game up lately. My local Ace will deliver pretty much anything for free (I think they have a $99 minimum, but if you're not in a hurry and call them, they'll usually just swing by when they're on a run) and Menard's will deliver giant chunks of lumber for like $13.99. I had them bring 4 10' 4x6s and 2 gallons of Acetone and I didn't lift a finger.

I'm a natural home body anyhow so I really like how things seem to be headed in this regard.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I try to shop local. Even if it is a big box which ultimately employs local people in my community.

That said, local shops can’t just fall back on the slogan. Give me a reason to shop local, or at least don’t make it more difficult. I will pay a small price premium but will not fund locals overpricing. Some locals get screwed over by their suppliers too. Some locals screw themselves over because of poor business practices.

Was buying some outdoor equipment locally. Ordered and told arrival in about a week. Two weeks in and her supplier still could not tell the owner when my product would arrive. Ultimately couldn’t wait any longer and ordered from REI with free shipping in a couple days.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Keep in mind that the Giants will change their tune when there is no longer local competition. The Giants do not take time to help you with things like questions you have about the new tool, new gun, or how to install the electrical or plumbing supplies you just bought.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Amazon is an amazing company that performs like no other in history!

I fear that China is in cahoots with Amazon and this is all a strategy to defeat American businesses. Here is how it may work, China sells crap for less to Amazon, who couples the super low price with the incredible transportation network they have built, including a sweetheart deal from the government USPS, that no one else can match, and what do you get? $78 billion in profits...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Amazon is an amazing company that performs like no other in history!

I fear that China is in cahoots with Amazon and this is all a strategy to defeat American businesses. Here is how it may work, China sells crap for less to Amazon, who couples the super low price with the incredible transportation network they have built, including a sweetheart deal from the government USPS, that no one else can match, and what do you get? $78 billion in profits...

That's not really a fear as that's legitimately how it works, except its not just Amazon... it's everybody. Walmart pretty famously ran Rubbermaid out of the country. In fact, they're the origin story of all of this.

As far as getting "help" from local stores, I usually find I get better help on the internet than I would from whatever guy I bump into out in the wild as well. I've even done a few of the paid services where you make a voluntary donation to licensed professionals to answer questions. I'd much rather ask an actual electrician the question than the guy behind the counter selling the wire. In the cases I'm thinking of I paid a few bucks for an electrician to explain a section of code that was worded oddly and a couple of bucks to an HVAC guy that shot me PDF manuals of my furnace and led me down the right path to trouble shooting it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Food and Ace Hardware is about the only thing Local that is worth a crap anymore. As much as I used to love the local Napa it is straight garbage now. Was doing some work on truck and they didn't have an oil filter for a Chevy 350, no gear oil, no rotor button and only the cheapest set of plug wires.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's not really a fear as that's legitimately how it works, except its not just Amazon... it's everybody. Walmart pretty famously ran Rubbermaid out of the country. In fact, they're the origin story of all of this.

As far as getting "help" from local stores, I usually find I get better help on the internet than I would from whatever guy I bump into out in the wild as well. I've even done a few of the paid services where you make a voluntary donation to licensed professionals to answer questions. I'd much rather ask an actual electrician the question than the guy behind the counter selling the wire. In the cases I'm thinking of I paid a few bucks for an electrician to explain a section of code that was worded oddly and a couple of bucks to an HVAC guy that shot me PDF manuals of my furnace and led me down the right path to trouble shooting it.
    this, I cringe every time I hear my dad tell me he's going to ask a guy at best buy about a technology or home theater thing. For the most part people in any store are sales folk. The internet provides some pretty good advice if you know how to filter out the noise.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Keep in mind that the Giants will change their tune when there is no longer local competition. The Giants do not take time to help you with things like questions you have about the new tool, new gun, or how to install the electrical or plumbing supplies you just bought.

If I don't know how to use what I am buying, I probably don't have any businesses buying it.

As far as guns go, I usually know more about the particular model that I'm interested in than any gun shop employee.

I'll have a tag on my toe before I make a purchase decision based on what some of these gun shop clowns tell me.

:):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    this, I cringe every time I hear my dad tell me he's going to ask a guy at best buy about a technology or home theater thing. For the most part people in any store are sales folk. The internet provides some pretty good advice if you know how to filter out the noise.

Most BB employees not even sales people; they're warm bodies to help you fine stuff. The bad thing is most of them don't know that and neither do many brick and mortar buyers. They give bad advice often...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If I don't know how to use what I am buying, I probably don't have any businesses buying it.

You'd be surprised...

Working at Best Buy selling PCs in the 90s was the epitome of that. We basically couldn't shove PCs out the door fast enough to people that barely understood how to turn one on. I never understood how people could justify spending that much money with no clue of what to do with it.

Working at Home Depot during the explosion of HGTV wasn't much different.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Now, for the most part, I put some effort into NOT buying Chinese. The cheap stuff coming out of there is killing our economy on a planned scale.

My problem is that I cannot afford some things I would prefer to buy. For example, for the last Thanksgiving dinner I needed to buy three (3) cast iron, enameled dutch ovens. I had to go with Lodge, which is made in China for its enamelware. About $70 - $80 each. I would have loved to buy the French Le Creuset but theirs would have been around $220 - $250 each. I cannot afford that. Better made, lighter, and higher walls to give a greater cooking surface but just too expensive for me.

I did buy an immersion blender made in Romania. I would far rather help out former Eastern Bloc workers than the Chinese. I would have really preferred all Made In America but I couldn't find anything.

So for me the ranking is, in order:

#1) Made in America (and if not possible)
    #2) Not made in China (and if not affordable)
    #3) Pocketbook dictates buy Made in China (and hold nose)

Regards,

Doug

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I frequent many small businesses in my quest for parts and services to fill my needs.
    HVAC parts/equipment and supply's.
    Performances parts and pieces when I can get them local. Jeggs has pretty much taken that market.
    Raw materials, welding supply's, Nuts/bolts/fasteners of all sorts.
    I use a friends LGS for my new/used over the counter needs.
    I rely a lot on private sales in the firearms hobby.
    Auto parts/tires/repairs all local.
    It has become near impossible to find and secure tooling for my lathe and the Mill when I had the mill. On line has literally killed that source at least what I used.

I have purchased ammo on line as it would be idiotic not to.

I buy most of my cloths at the Red wing store in Moorseville. Who knows where they make the clothing but I like it. It is tuff stuff and did I mention I like it.

No CKW (spouse) she kills it on line for things/stuff/cloths and toys for the terrorists. I stay out of her way. It is for the best.....:):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I try to shop local. Even if it is a big box which ultimately employs local people in my community.

That said, local shops can’t just fall back on the slogan. Give me a reason to shop local, or at least don’t make it more difficult. I will pay a small price premium but will not fund locals overpricing. Some locals get screwed over by their suppliers too. Some locals screw themselves over because of poor business practices.

Was buying some outdoor equipment locally. Ordered and told arrival in about a week. Two weeks in and her supplier still could not tell the owner when my product would arrive. Ultimately couldn’t wait any longer and ordered from REI with free shipping in a couple days.

I just dropped almost $3k at Roberts camera downtown. (OK, my church did) I had to really push my sales guy and his supplier hard to get the pro camera we needed quickly.
    When I first talked to him for suggestions, he said he had the big camera in stock, but to order soon because [insert probably legit supply chain hiccup here]. He arranged for Canon to send two demo units for free to try.
    Decided on the big one. Oops. Somebody snatched the one they had. Supplier cant tell him when other than "December". But I NEED it by this coming Friday to shoot video for the Christmas eve program and have time to edit it. He said he would do his best, and let his supplier know the urgency. With all Nick did for us, I would have a hard time going to Amazon. For $100 more I could have that same camera here in 3 days.

But he came through and his supplier had it to him Friday afternoon. I should be picking the unit up tomorrow. We are still waiting on 1 accessory, but its not a critical piece.

I feel great supporting one of the best local shops in town. (Just realized ive been using them for 30 years!) Oh, and still saving $100 over Amazon. So they arent always the cheapest.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Just a couple of days ago I went online to check the availability of some items at Lowes. I used the chat feature and they said what I wanted was in stock at my local Lowes. So I go there and they tell me what I want is special order. Basically I was lied to to get me in the store. I don't have time to waste

Well Walmart and Home Depot online got my business and will deliver to my house at a lower cost.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We found siding we like for the house we are building for our daughter. We WANT to buy it local. I contacted the company thru their web site and asked who is a local distributor. Their regional sales guy sent me a contact 30 miles from our home. My husband drove there to talk to him. He wasn't in. Left our number and they said he would call us. No call. I contacted the regional guy again...said I need another person to contact as Daniel apparently does not want our business. He says he will call Daniel and have him call us and to email him (the regional guy) with colors we would like samples of. He sends samples...still no calls from Daniel. I emailed the regional guy a few days later and said...got the samples...ready to order...WHERE can I order locally??? He calls and says Daniel will call me the next day. Two days later, I called Daniel who informs me it is his day off and he will call me when he is back in the office. I told him to call my husband and offered to give him the number. He instructs me to text it to him....apparently too busy to write it down. Over a week later...no call from Daniel. I finally got an email from Daniel the other day with a price quote on just the siding per square...nothing on the necessary j channel or trim pieces, etc.

While all of this was going on, I had contacted a company I had found online that is in Tennessee. They had sent me samples, a full price list and a quote while I was attempting to buy local. The place in Tennessee can get me everything we need SHIPPED to the job site for about $2K less than Daniel wants just for the siding...and that is including the $800 freight charge to truck it here.

It looks like I will be ordering siding from Tennessee this week. If we had just ordered it from them six weeks ago when we originally got the quote, it would have already been installed on the house.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We found siding we like for the house we are building for our daughter. We WANT to buy it local. I contacted the company thru their web site and asked who is a local distributor. Their regional sales guy sent me a contact 30 miles from our home. My husband drove there to talk to him. He wasn't in. Left our number and they said he would call us. No call. I contacted the regional guy again...said I need another person to contact as Daniel apparently does not want our business. He says he will call Daniel and have him call us and to email him (the regional guy) with colors we would like samples of. He sends samples...still no calls from Daniel. I emailed the regional guy a few days later and said...got the samples...ready to order...WHERE can I order locally??? He calls and says Daniel will call me the next day. Two days later, I called Daniel who informs me it is his day off and he will call me when he is back in the office. I told him to call my husband and offered to give him the number. He instructs me to text it to him....apparently too busy to write it down. Over a week later...no call from Daniel. I finally got an email from Daniel the other day with a price quote on just the siding per square...nothing on the necessary j channel or trim pieces, etc.

While all of this was going on, I had contacted a company I had found online that is in Tennessee. They had sent me samples, a full price list and a quote while I was attempting to buy local. The place in Tennessee can get me everything we need SHIPPED to the job site for about $2K less than Daniel wants just for the siding...and that is including the $800 freight charge to truck it here.

It looks like I will be ordering siding from Tennessee this week. If we had just ordered it from them six weeks ago when we originally got the quote, it would have already been installed on the house.
    I feel like we need to redefine "local" as small businesses. Businesses that have not embraced internet sales are going to die off. They must adapt to the changing culture. The ship has sailed on the traditional main street local business. That doesn't mean that the remaining small local businesses have to ask die off but they will have to evolve. Being specialized they sold be able to thrive by selling their expertise along with their products. As noted up thread expert/experienced knowledge is hard to come by and IMO adds significant value.

Top Bottom