When Does Indiana pass the armed-minuteman-force law to protect RKBA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Congratulations! All of you Indiana residents over 18 are already members of the Indiana Militia.

"Under Article 12, Section 1 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana, the militia consists of all persons who are at least eighteen (18) years of age except those persons who are exempted by the laws of the United States or of Indiana.

Ind. Code § 10-16-6-1

"The militia shall be divided into two (2) classes, the sedentary militia and the national guard, as follows:
    (1) The sedentary militia consists of all persons subject to bear arms under the Constitution of the State of Indiana who do not belong to the national guard.
    (2) The national guard consists of those able-bodied citizens between the proper ages as established by this article who may be enrolled, organized, and mustered into the service of the state as provided in this article. The organized militia of the state constitutes and shall be known as the Indiana national guard."

Ind. Code § 10-16-6-2

I think that at some point I named myself a Sergeant in the Sedentary Militia, but that seems like too much work. How about a Major? No one really knows what they do.
    Sedentary Militia, sounds like they don’t do much. Definitely go officer, because we know the enlisted corps does the work.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Constitutional carry isn't even getting a hearing this year despite passing overwhelmingly in the House and having major support in the Senate. Indiana's RINO cartel doesn't give a **** about 2A, they'll just take pro-2A bills off the agenda and give us the finger.
    Con Carry isn't getting a hearing because it's the same disaster Lucas keeps introducing, that increases red flag seizures, doesn't provide for any reciprocity with other states, and puts citizens in violation of the Gun Free School Zones Act.

And hopefully, it will fail to get a hearing every time until either
    A: He writes something coherent, or
    2) someone else does.

Something simple that basically says, "A license shall not be needed to carry a firearm. However, licenses will still be issued for use by Indiana residents traveling in states that require them."

As far as the OP proposal, state militiae exist in most states, and the state can authorize the use of firearms. There's no need for a new law reinventing the wheel.

What Indiana does do right is avoid the "second amendment sanctuary" BS that the courts keep insisting fails under federal law, and simply doesn't have any state laws about SBRs and such, and merely says that MGs must comply with federal law.

This means that IN officers can't even ask about your SBR on the range, because the state takes no notice of it. It would require the presence of an ATF agent to raise any questions at all.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Con Carry isn't getting a hearing because it's the same disaster Lucas keeps introducing, that increases red flag seizures, doesn't provide for any reciprocity with other states, and puts citizens in violation of the Gun Free School Zones Act.

And hopefully, it will fail to get a hearing every time until either
    A: He writes something coherent, or
    2) someone else does.

Something simple that basically says, "A license shall not be needed to carry a firearm. However, licenses will still be issued for use by Indiana residents traveling in states that require them."

As far as the OP proposal, state militiae exist in most states, and the state can authorize the use of firearms. There's no need for a new law reinventing the wheel.

What Indiana does do right is avoid the "second amendment sanctuary" BS that the courts keep insisting fails under federal law, and simply doesn't have any state laws about SBRs and such, and merely says that MGs must comply with federal law.

This means that IN officers can't even ask about your SBR on the range, because the state takes no notice of it. It would require the presence of an ATF agent to raise any questions at all.
    Ben Smaltz authored HB 1369. Did you read it?

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown

"The idea is to create a group known as “Missouri Minutemen” which would be comprised of state citizens who fall under the command of the governor and who could be called into action during extreme life-threatening (and chaos-inducing) emergencies."​

But.. what if it is the governor that is creating the "extreme life-threatening (and chaos-inducing) emergencies"?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Interesting.

"exempted by the laws of the United States" - does this mean Indiana is giving the Federal government the power to exempt everybody and effectively eliminate the sedentary militia?

"persons subject to bear arms" - what does this mean?
    Exempted from the Indiana Sedentary Militia (I love that name!) would be active duty military, possibly federal civvies (although there is Military Leave for NG and Reservists). Military Chaplains don't carry firearms, maybe the clergy is exempt? Then again a good friend from HS is a Baptist Minister and I'd want him in our Sedentary Militia (organizational echelon, let's be a Squadron!!)

Edit: not to Denny the thread, but would Blue-ID Mafia (retired military) be exempt? We are subject to recall to AD (wow things are going bad if I get called back. Like War of the Worlds bad.)

Important question: sedentary militia wears sweatpants?

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Exempted from the Indiana Sedentary Militia (I love that name!) would be active duty military, possibly federal civvies (although there is Military Leave for NG and Reservists). Military Chaplains don't carry firearms, maybe the clergy is exempt? Then again a good friend from HS is a Baptist Minister and I'd want him in our Sedentary Militia (organizational echelon, let's be a Squadron!!)
    Thanks, but that didn't answer either question.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    I heard the Churchmouse Militia will have cheeseburgers and chainsaw bayonets. Anybody else heard that?
    The Churchmouse Militia will also have its armored fighting vehicles powered by methanol-burning turbocharged Buick engines (making him OIC of engine building and maintenance).

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The Churchmouse Militia will also have its armored fighting vehicles powered by methanol-burning turbocharged Buick engines (making him OIC of engine building and maintenance).
    Will we have Named (Churchmouse Militia) or Numbered units like the 4th Indiana Cavalry Regiment (Militia), or both? Better question: pre-positioned equipment, supplies, and munitions. Where and how much?

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Will we have Named (Churchmouse Militia) or Numbered units like the 4th Indiana Cavalry Regiment (Militia), or both? Better question: pre-positioned equipment, supplies, and munitions. Where and how much?
    “1st Indiana Sharpshooters (Company A)”
    Company CO - Captain Churchmouse

Last edited:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Exempted due to being active duty military? I think that checked the answered box.
    Wow - the question was ...
    "exempted by the laws of the United States" - does this mean Indiana is giving the Federal government the power to exempt everybody and effectively eliminate the sedentary militia?
    Rephrased - Could some liberal federal government eliminate the Indiana sedentary militia by passing a United States law that says everybody is exempt?

The other question was ...
    "persons subject to bear arms" - what does this mean?
    I don't know what subject to bear arms means.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Wow - the question was ...

Rephrased - Could some liberal federal government eliminate the Indiana sedentary militia by passing a United States law that says everybody is exempt?

The other question was ...

I don't know what subject to bear arms means.
    I answered who would logically be exempted due to being active duty, etc. That seems like something that you might have been asking about.

Top Bottom