When did golf carts and side by sides become so common?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Even used, the prices are insane. We have a fairly good piece of property so a walk all the way around is a mile. We have a trail cut through the woods on the perimeter so we can drive around it and considered getting a side by side so we could ride around with the grandbabies. The old $500 rusty pickup that we have been using for the last 10 to 15 years will have to do. Too cheap to spend that kind of money on one more thing to maintain and store.

The Razor's are scary fast. We lost a coworker last September when her nephew who was driving took a corner too fast in one of those things. Beautiful young lady gone...it was just horrible.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    There are few things more exciting for everyone involved as golf carts on county roads. The thrill of flying up behind one on a blind curve, having one pull out in front of you, or having an 80 year old make a surprise left turn in his as you try to pass him on his left in your car. (Yes, I've had all of those thing happen to me in the last several years.)

And let's not even get started on the number of them out on the roads if you visit a beach town in the Carolinas, Georgia, or Florida!
    Yeah around here they are a real pia, seem to think rules of road do not apply to them, passing on right, blowing stop signs.

Yeah they are a real treat.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Even used, the prices are insane. We have a fairly good piece of property so a walk all the way around is a mile. We have a trail cut through the woods on the perimeter so we can drive around it and considered getting a side by side so we could ride around with the grandbabies. The old $500 rusty pickup that we have been using for the last 10 to 15 years will have to do. Too cheap to spend that kind of money on one more thing to maintain and store.

The Razor's are scary fast. We lost a coworker last September when her nephew who was driving took a corner too fast in one of those things. Beautiful young lady gone...it was just horrible.
    We use our 4 wheeler a gator is a bit out of what we are willing to spend. It works out well for moving feed etc. Plus it’s handy for moving fence supplies, brackets, nails etc.

Reactions: Mij

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Around Mitchell, I tend to see mostly elderly people driving their golf carts around town, to McDonalds, etc. Out in the county, it’s a mix riding their SxS’s. Most of the rural riders are at least polite enough to pull over and let the cars and trucks pass them. (Most of them).

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    I think its BS. Put them back on the golf course. It just away to get out of paying the expense of a car. People are going to get hurt and killed when accidents happen. To drive them on the street it should have the same thing as cars. Plates, city stickers, pay wheel tax, insurance and safety equipment.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think its BS. Put them back on the golf course. It just away to get out of paying the expense of a car. People are going to get hurt and killed when accidents happen. To drive them on the street it should have the same thing as cars. Plates, city stickers, pay wheel tax, insurance and safety equipment.
    I don't disagree. If you've got property, it is completely legit. If you want to "tool around" gravel roads in the middle of nowhere (and Indiana has A LOT of them), that's fine too. My definition of "tool around" is less than 15 mph. Anything faster can get dangerous fast. I'm not going to go hunt down the statistic for the number of ORV fatalities that occur in Indiana annually, but ones like mom45 shared happen more often than you might think. Mostly because people make bad decisions and drink alcohol, sometimes simultaneously.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Killjoys, I thought we stood for Freedom.

Alright, lol in all seriousness I agree they really don't belong on the streets. Some of those side by sides could be alright on the streets if equipped with all necessary lights and had to be licensed. Heck some are probably about as safe as most Jeeps I see.
    Now golf carts, no way those should be on a street. Ours is great for tooling around the pits at the race track and pulling the race car around the pits.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I think I used to see them more often a few years ago in town. I don't know what changed, or maybe Salem restricted them somehow, but you'd see 3-4 on any day with decent weather. I see them every single day out in the county. Most people are reasonable with them, but it doesn't seem fair as someone mentioned to not have plates, insurance.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Around Mitchell, I tend to see mostly elderly people driving their golf carts around town, to McDonalds, etc. Out in the county, it’s a mix riding their SxS’s. Most of the rural riders are at least polite enough to pull over and let the cars and trucks pass them. (Most of them).
    Maybe I'm out of date but I thought ALL that stuff, golf karts and ATVs and SxS, were no-go anywhere in Indiana except private property.

Top Bottom