What's your preferred method to clean up your brass?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The other night I was dumping polished brass out of my Franklin tumbler and found the bottom of the bowl was cracked. The Franklin was supposed to help supplement my smaller Lyman, which is my second lyman because the first ones motor broke loose. Long story short, I don't always have great luck with tumblers and I wouldn't mind finding the last brass cleaning solution that I'll ever need.

Back when I got started reloading, all the wet tumbling with soap and stainless steel pins wasn't a thing. The ultrasonic stuff didn't exist either. I don't need my brass so clean and polished that they'll pass a drill sergeants inspection, but I do want to knock the crud off them and feel good that they're ready for another round of use.

Any suggestions?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Depends on what you mean by preferred….

I’ve used vibratory cleaners for years and they do a decent job but I’ve never been impressed with them really cleaning the inside of cases.

I tried the stainless pins/wet tumbling method and was super impressed with the results. But it takes more labor time with separating the pins from soapy water and cases. I have given it a try without the pins and it seems to clean darned near as well.

So, if I have some really grubby cases (internally), I’ll dump them in the wet tumbler. But after getting them cleaned like newX I’ll run them through the vibratory cleaner for the next few firings.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I have been happy with Dillon Vibratory case cleaners.
    My first some 30 years ago was the large 2001. It lasted around 25 years before the motor went out=A new motor is about 80% the cost of a new complete 2001 unit. I then bought their smaller 750 model.
    When I found a source of volume .223/5.56 brass, I bought another 2001 new tumbler from Dillon.
    I have been VERY Happy with the service that my Dillon's have given me..Bill.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Hornady vibratory polisher was a little more money but it is built heavier than the Lyman or Midway units which both worked good until they failed.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I have used vibratory cleaners with corn cob media for 30 years. If the brass needs a really good cleaning, I let it tumble over night. I went through a period of time wet tumbling 223 cases with steel pins and although it gave me good results, I finally concluded that it wasn't worth the extra effort for me. I agree that the pins do a better job of cleaning the inside of cases if that is important to you.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Spring & Fall (when I can stand to go outside), I use: 1673444120102.png

Winter time, I use a Franklin Tumbler w/Corn Cob media & got satisfactory results.
    I've not yet had any Cracking/Breaking with mine & have run thousands of rounds through it (pistol & rifle)
    Never tried the Tumblers with Steel pins-Yet.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Kimball @ Bobcat Armament told me to go to Harbor Freight and buy from them - as it's really not worth the $ in a high dollar brand name device that's literally trying to shake itself to death the instant it's first used.

YMMV.

For now I've decided that unless I literally stumble upon reloading gear at a garage sale or am given stuff; it's not a wise investment right now for me and my shooting "lifestyle".

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Mine is a Timbler Tumbler. I got it used in the late 1980's and still use it today. More of a rock tumbler than a brass tumbler. Works well and it is not something I have to take out of a room to talk on the phone. Some are just loud as a rock concert speaker.

Normally corn cob media made for small animal bedding as I am cheap.

To me Clean brass is nice but I really don't care much what it looks like more about how it shoots.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    lyman tumblers are all i use now, one is close to 20 years old. i have 2 set up on there own bench, i only use walnut media too. Bought a hornady and it died in just over a year. I keep a new one handy so if i would need to replace one i can quickly! I bought a wet tumbler, cheaper brand but it takes longer to clean and get the brass dried out to use so it just sets there on the shelf. You can get replacement bowls pretty cheap online for the lymans!!!!!!!!

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Pictures please, and some details on how you made it if you don't mind.
    Pictures will have to wait till tomorrow, but I loosely based it on BIGGDAWG’s design on the AR15 forum (most of that info seems to have disappeared) and the modifications to Biggdawg’s design that imp22b (INGO poster) detailed in his 3/27/13 writeup (which is still available on INGO). The latter will at least give you an idea of how it’s done. Instead of welding a frame to hold the components like Biggdawg, I constructed a frame using parts from 80/20 (located in Columbia City).

Top Bottom