• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I recently had a BS session with a childhood buddy to whom I hadn't extensively talked in many, many years. He had a lot to say about his son, who apparently is very wealthy; earning middle 6 figures per annum. He went on and on about his son's home, watercraft, vehicles, gun collection, etc. It got me thinking. I'm far from wealthy, but pretty satisfied with my life. I've met many of my goals, but few had to do with how much money I have accumulated or the things I own. How about you? Do you consider yourself successful? What yardstick do you use for success?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I recently had a BS session with a childhood buddy to whom I hadn't extensively talked in many, many years. He had a lot to say about his son, who apparently is very wealthy; earning middle 6 figures per annum. He went on and on about his son's home, watercraft, vehicles, gun collection, etc. It got me thinking. I'm far from wealthy, but pretty satisfied with my life. I've met many of my goals, but few had to do with how much money I have accumulated or the things I own. How about you? Do you consider yourself successful? What yardstick do you use for success?
    Being able to retire and live a better life than when I was working.
    And,
    Along the way pass inherited wealth on to my sons.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you have everything the world offers and don't have Christ then what good is that?
    There's your answer to success

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Two of the kids bring in six figures. Money, meh.

Success=
    Long-term married to the same woman, mother of our children, who is honest, hardworking, skilled, conscientious, a believer. Love is a choice, not a feeling.

Doing what I love every day (sometimes I can't believe they pay me for this) - I'll probably volunteer to do the same after I retire (many others do in this field). My profession recognizes my work.

I have all I need and most of what I want.

I get to play volleyball several times a week and enjoy community band and serve our community.

On track to live better in retirement than now - we planned and worked on that for 30+ years.

Nothing in this life is guaranteed (see Big Tanker), so being prepared for the next is the ultimate long-term success.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Funny how my definition of success has change over my 62 yrs. The biggest change is i chase success now one day at a time. I try to be more successful today then i was yesterday. More successful as a husband and a father. A friend and a brother. My prayers always end each night with " pleases let me be better tomorrow". I don't always find success in my next day. But i pray i have another tomorrow to redeem my failures of today.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I’m 41 and debt free. I have a 21 year old daughter who’s mature and on a great path. I’m in a great relationship that I plan to stay in for life. I have a few great friends I’d die for. I work a job I choose to work. I buy what I want when I want. I don’t get lost in chasing new cars, big houses or big toys. I don’t give a single **** what anyone outside of friends and family thinks of me.

All I need to do is get in better shape. :D

That’s how I measure my success.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Guess just me being able to pay bills and my wife and kids being happy is a success. I definitely don't work the civilian job I wanted. But thankful to be working. My military career didn't go way I wanted but thankful to make it to retirement this year. And without the jab. So guess that's successful lol.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Success isn't measured through monetary or material objects; those can't be taken with you.
    As long as my family has a full belly, clothes on their backs, and a decent roof roof over their head, that's all we need and all we can control.
    Success is measured by those around you. Having family and friends that care about, and respect you.
    Leaving a positive impression on those people, will follow you forever. That's success.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a reasonably well paying, low stress job where my employer trusts me enough to take care of multi million dollar machines, I’m there 8 hours or less 5 days a week. I can come home and relax with my wife and dogs, and they all seem to like having me around. My adult kids seem to enjoy being around us, so I guess we did that right.

We don’t owe anybody anything.

If we need something we can afford to get it.

We don’t really ever need anything.

If we see something we want, we can afford to get it.

We, as in “me and her”, get along pretty well for as long as we’ve been together.

Can’t ask for much more than that.

Top Bottom